• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Asp.net help required"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    If you really just want someone to look over your pages for some quick fixes, you might do as well to look at RentaCoder rather than hire a top-price contractor.

Alternatively, if you are only looking for advice to help you fix it yourself, you might try StackOverflow or a .NET developer forum provided you can avoid having to dump the whole codebase on people.

regarding NAT's comment, knowing who you are might help. Someone is more likely to cut you a deal if you're 1 guy working on their own project than a company trying to cut costs.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by KeithB View Post
    I'm developing an asp.net (webforms) app that needs a performance boost in a couple of areas. I'm looking for about a half day’s consultancy / help. It’s asp.net 3.5, vb.net, SQL Server 2008 R2. I’m using components from Essential Objects (not really relevant to the requirement) and Telerik Rad Controls for ASP.NET AJAX. I use Visual Studio 2010. It’s all data driven with very little static information. I don’t really want to change the table structure as it’s a live site so I’m looking to tune queries, use alternate asp.net techniques, maybe tweak IIS etc. The current worst performer is a page that takes about 10 seconds to load. There are a couple of stored procedures feeding it the data that take no more than 2 seconds to run in SQL Management Studio.

We can screen share and Skype or phone. I’d like to do it before 31st October 2012 (weekday preferably) and can pay £75 (plus vat if necessary).
    Notwithstanding what others have said, you might find someone who can give you a couple of hours consultancy at that rate - some contractors don't command anything like £600 a day. Are you representing a company, or are you a one-man-band, or are you are 14 year-old trying to develop a killer-app in the spare bedroom?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Any more handbagging in the pro fora and I'll knock all your heads together. Save it for General. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Sometimes I wonder at your lack of reality grasp. OP says he has one page that needs optimisation and he has indicated his max price. You come along and offer him a helpful advice to analyse his product at the cost of 12K. The clients you work for must really die of frustration.
    I sometimes wonder at your inability to grasp basic arithmetic, fa, but I don't let it keep me up nights. I say again: if you think this problem can be reasonably tackled in half a day, and you're willing and able to take it on for £75, by all means be my guest and prove me wrong. I'm happy to be "outbid" on this one (which was originally posted in Business & Contracts, btw, which is the only reason I gave any advice at all on likely scope and price).

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Sometimes I wonder at your lack of reality grasp. OP says he has one page that needs optimisation and he has indicated his max price. You come along and offer him a helpful advice to analyse his product at the cost of 12K. The clients you work for must really die of frustration.
    You're making an assumption that she has clients. The last I heard was that she was benched although a do seem to remember a small piece of consultancy where Gentile was trying to get her claws in.

Between Gentile and Russell are there any decent .net developer contractors in Scotland?

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    You're way off on both the day rate, and on what can be achieved with only half a day's consultancy.

I'd advise you to look into taking on a contractor for a period of at least a month, at a rate of between £300-£500 per day depending on where you're located. You'll get someone to take £300 off you for a one-off half a day's consultancy, I'm sure, but I'd honestly advise to you to consider what difference 3.5 hours of someone's time is really going to make to your existing product. I'd suggest the answer is not much.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• LumbaBread
    replied
    I'm developing an asp.net (webforms) app that needs a performance boost in a couple of areas. I'm looking for about a half day’s consultancy / help. It’s asp.net 3.5, vb.net, SQL Server 2008 R2. I’m using components from Essential Objects (not really relevant to the requirement) and Telerik Rad Controls for ASP.NET AJAX. I use Visual Studio 2010. It’s all data driven with very little static information. I don’t really want to change the table structure as it’s a live site so I’m looking to tune queries, use alternate asp.net techniques, maybe tweak IIS etc. The current worst performer is a page that takes about 10 seconds to load. There are a couple of stored procedures feeding it the data that take no more than 2 seconds to run in SQL Management Studio.

We can screen share and Skype or phone. I’d like to do it before 31st October 2012 (weekday preferably) and can pay £75 (plus vat if necessary).
    I could help out with this. Half a day to look at your project and see how it's done / architected.
    Once I've had a look I can then provide feedback / advice on how to proceed and if more time is needed to actually implement improvements.

That being said, I am not available for £75 for half a day. You can contact me privately and I can provide you with my hourly rate for consultancy / actual development.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied

£75! And the VAT if necessary?!?!

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Download a free trial of Ants Profiler from Red-Gate or similar, that might point you in th right direction
    ^^^ That's a very good suggestion. For someone already familiar with your codebase, ANTS can be an excellent tool to understand which parts of it are running more slowly than you expect. IIRC you get a 14 day free trial as well.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Download a free trial of Ants Profiler from Red-Gate or similar, that might point you in th right direction

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    A month? Really? Without knowing anything about the OP's app?

Half a day is pushing it - but there could be some obvious wins if the app or database has been badly written. I'd suggest OP gets someone for a day to spot any easy wins and/or quantify the total job so at least he knows what he's dealing with. Agree that he's unlikely to find someone for £75.
    Yup. I won't labour the point, but I've yet to encounter a job that was described to me by a client as "a day's work" that was in reality anything less than a month's investigation and resolution. Usually, there are more problems than the client appreciates, and it takes at least that long to get to the bottom of what's really wrong and sort it out, even with the simplest issues. It's rarely a matter of just tuning a few queries as the OP suggests. If it were, you may be sure they'd be doing that themselves. Although, you're welcome to prove me wrong if you could use the £75...

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    You're way off on both the day rate, and on what can be achieved with only half a day's consultancy.

I'd advise you to look into taking on a contractor for a period of at least a month, at a rate of between £300-£500 per day depending on where you're located. You'll get someone to take £300 off you for a one-off half a day's consultancy, I'm sure, but I'd honestly advise to you to consider what difference 3.5 hours of someone's time is really going to make to your existing product. I'd suggest the answer is not much.

Good luck.

A month? Really? Without knowing anything about the OP's app?

Half a day is pushing it - but there could be some obvious wins if the app or database has been badly written. I'd suggest OP gets someone for a day to spot any easy wins and/or quantify the total job so at least he knows what he's dealing with. Agree that he's unlikely to find someone for £75.

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• KeithB
    started a topic Asp.net help required

Asp.net help required

Working...
X