• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Tapatalk 2

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tapatalk 2"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    I would like an Android app. Everytime I open on my Samsung General it is just full of crap that isn't worth reading. Must be bugged.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    iPhone & iPad versions.... any difference? Should I save my pennies and just get the phone version and use it on both? Or should I tell Mrs PL that we've no money for christmas as I've blown our last 2.99 on a slightly better version of the same thing for the bigger toy.
    If all you do is spend 2.99 with your mrs, I say go for it. You have nothing to lose.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    iPhone & iPad versions.... any difference? Should I save my pennies and just get the phone version and use it on both? Or should I tell Mrs PL that we've no money for christmas as I've blown our last 2.99 on a slightly better version of the same thing for the bigger toy.

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Hi Gentile,

Thanks for taking the time to clarify, much appreciated! Thought you had been getting the nags from here so really pleased this one plays nicely. Your Daily Wail reading surprises me

Admin

No worries - is a really nice system, should have done it sooner
    Know thy enemy. To be fair, The Grauniad's mobile app isn't any better.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    Thanks for the response, admin. My post about was about mobile versions of websites and mobile apps in the general. I hadn't realised you'd implemented yours yet. e.g. the Daily Mail spam you with popups for their Android mobile app every single time you visit, and LinkedIn is particularly bad at trying to railroad you into their unusable mobile version. (Try doing anything beyond looking at your own profile via a smartphone on LI, e.g. looking at recommendations you've given others, and it catapults you into the crappy mobile version repeatedly until you give up in frustration. It can't even seem to remember your stated preference within the same session, let alone next time you visit. It also exhibits that lazy, annoying behaviour of taking you to a set front page when you repeatedly choose the desktop version, instead of trying to show you the page you were viewing's full version. )

I've just checked CUK's app on my mobile devices (Android on Galaxy S2 phone, and Android on Asus Transformer tablet). Your (new?) site doesn't exhibit the above problems. It asks you once and once only on each device if you want to download your app, and then doesn't ask again. I didn't see any mobile version being presented, so I can't comment on that.
    Hi Gentile,

Thanks for taking the time to clarify, much appreciated! Thought you had been getting the nags from here so really pleased this one plays nicely. Your Daily Wail reading surprises me

Admin

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Thank you admin and mods, you
    No worries - is a really nice system, should have done it sooner

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Thank you admin and mods, you

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Yep.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    So the forum is now Tapatalk enabled?

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Gentile - I have tried it on the iPad and works fine for me, no prompt to download the app once I have cancelled it. What device are you using when getting continually nagged?
    Thanks for the response, admin. My post about was about mobile versions of websites and mobile apps in the general. I hadn't realised you'd implemented yours yet. e.g. the Daily Mail spam you with popups for their Android mobile app every single time you visit, and LinkedIn is particularly bad at trying to railroad you into their unusable mobile version. (Try doing anything beyond looking at your own profile via a smartphone on LI, e.g. looking at recommendations you've given others, and it catapults you into the crappy mobile version repeatedly until you give up in frustration. It can't even seem to remember your stated preference within the same session, let alone next time you visit. It also exhibits that lazy, annoying behaviour of taking you to a set front page when you repeatedly choose the desktop version, instead of trying to show you the page you were viewing's full version. )

I've just checked CUK's app on my mobile devices (Android on Galaxy S2 phone, and Android on Asus Transformer tablet). Your (new?) site doesn't exhibit the above problems. It asks you once and once only on each device if you want to download your app, and then doesn't ask again. I didn't see any mobile version being presented, so I can't comment on that.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Gentile - I have tried it on the iPad and works fine for me, no prompt to download the app once I have cancelled it. What device are you using when getting continually nagged?

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    I hate "mobile versions" of the vast majority of websites. This is 2012, and like most people I have a fully-functional smartphone. It was bad enough trying to use the internet via WAP ten years ago. Please don't try and emulate that disappointing experience across 3G/4G!

Most mobile sites are appallingly-designed, with a seemingly-pathological compulsion on the part of their developers to catapult you back into the mobile version at every turn. Plus they make no distinction between Android tablets and Android phones, which makes using a tablet a frustrating experience. And if you select the "show me the un-mangled desktop site" link hidden away at the bottom of the page, some developers lazily take you out to the main page of their site rather than to the full version of the page you were looking at when you clicked the link. Grrrrr!

And as for sites that deface their content with a full-screen "Would you like to download our Android/iPhone App!!!!1111!!?" popup. Every. Single. Time. You. Visit. Give me strength. Do you know I wouldn't like to download special software merely to visit a website?

So, dear admin and Nick, please, please, please don't implement a mobile CUK site. Or, unlike most sites that have a mobile version, if you do at least please make judicious use of Cookies so that those of us who hate getting noddy CEEFAX-versions of sites on our smartphones can turn it off once and once only and have that preference respected thereafter.
    Will have a look at it, agree it should honour the fact it has been declined.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Maybe you should ask in Accounting if you can claim it as an expense?
    I wouldn't want to incur the wrath of any Daily Mail readers... (of course I expenced it!)

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Wicked - was just going to have a look. Slightly annoyed at having to pay for iPad and Android apps but at less that a fiver I guess I shouldn't be too peeved
    Maybe you should ask in Accounting if you can claim it as an expense?

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Not worth getting then, thanks guys. It'd be nice to have a an Android version of this forum if possible
    I hate "mobile versions" of the vast majority of websites. This is 2012, and like most people I have a fully-functional smartphone. It was bad enough trying to use the internet via WAP ten years ago. Please don't try and emulate that disappointing experience across 3G/4G!

Most mobile sites are appallingly-designed, with a seemingly-pathological compulsion on the part of their developers to catapult you back into the mobile version at every turn. Plus they make no distinction between Android tablets and Android phones, which makes using a tablet a frustrating experience. And if you select the "show me the un-mangled desktop site" link hidden away at the bottom of the page, some developers lazily take you out to the main page of their site rather than to the full version of the page you were looking at when you clicked the link. Grrrrr!

And as for sites that deface their content with a full-screen "Would you like to download our Android/iPhone App!!!!1111!!?" popup. Every. Single. Time. You. Visit. Give me strength. Do you know I wouldn't like to download special software merely to visit a website?

So, dear admin and Nick, please, please, please don't implement a mobile CUK site. Or, unlike most sites that have a mobile version, if you do at least please make judicious use of Cookies so that those of us who hate getting noddy CEEFAX-versions of sites on our smartphones can turn it off once and once only and have that preference respected thereafter.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Re: Tapatalk 2

Testing again, this time with the signature removed in the settings :-)

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Re: Tapatalk 2

Testing

(I manually deleted the signature)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X