• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Google redirect

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Google redirect"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Interesting Gentile. If I turn off scripting it cures the problem for me too, but turning it off generally is not a realistic option as a I do various online interactives in jscript. Wonder if there is something that turns it off for specific pages?

Mudskipper. I missed that! Yes, just leaving 1 sec to enlarge before click does sort it. Great. Even my impatient nature can cope with that!

PS Another 25th august thread on the net:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/4488282.htm

PPS and another

http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...?topic=13536.0
    Last edited by xoggoth; 27 August 2012, 21:43.

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Found this - it's a feature, not a virus.

Edit : here's the explanation Google Redirect Notice

Not clear why it's happening for all image results.

Edit 2: I've run it through fiddler - definitely nothing else interfering.
    I read that article before posting. It's difficult to see how it could explain this present behaviour, since it was written in 2007, and the problem being discussed only arose a couple of days ago. It also doesn't explain why it's only happening on specific browsers for specific people (thereby ruling out a DNS issue, which you would expect to affect every browser that an individual user tried on a given machine, whilst every browser on another machine for a different user with a different ISP could have been fine). Lastly, it doesn't explain why it's only happening on different types of browser for different people, and always their main browser.

I was able to replicate the issue last night. I usually use YesScript to block JavaScript on google.co.uk (because I find they have a talent for implementing annoying 'features' such as Google Instant: that thing that constantly interrupts and tries to second-guess you as you're typing in what you actually wanted to search for, then ignores what you typed anyway and "shows results for" terms that Google's marketers would have preferred you to have been looking for).

When I switched YesScript off, I experienced the problem on google.co.uk on Firefox only. IE was fine for me. I did a bit of analysis after that, but wasn't able to pin down why it only happened on FF for me, and IE for you, xoggoth. It doesn't appear to be anything to do with Cookies - I tried deleting those, and my History, to see if I could make it happen on IE too, but to no avail.

Whatever's causing it, the problem isn't happening on google.com's Image Search for me. So, xoggoth, if you want to get around the issue for now, I suggest you try it instead.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Found this - it's a feature, not a virus.

Edit : here's the explanation http://googlesystem.blogspot.co.uk/2...ct-notice.html

Not clear why it's happening for all image results.

Edit 2: I've run it through fiddler - definitely nothing else interfering.
    Last edited by mudskipper; 27 August 2012, 09:10.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Ta for answers. As I said, it isn't malware, not unless they are deliberately diverting me to the sites (mostly images of weeds) that I wanted to access in the first place. Virus check finds nothing and there are none of the symptoms associated with the redirect virus.

Cojak had the problem yesterday and a number of posts are starting to pop up on the net from other people that just started having this exact same problem yesterday too. They all report that their various AVs find nowt also. Yesterday I also started having a problem with Google search on my little WinCE notebook although other sites including Yahoo are fine.

I suspect that Google have ballsed something up.

deviantART Forum: Google images redirect notice....
    Something annoying » Forum Post by JuniorCrooks

PS
    Maybe that's what Google want us to do. I prefer my IE9. The fix is to switch to Bing.
    Yep - doing it for me now that I've read the instructions. It's fine if you wait for the image to enlarge first, but if you click before it does, you get the page (IE9 - no issues in FF)

The redirect page is Google Image Result for http://nickbaines.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/pizza.jpg

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Ta for answers. As I said, it isn't malware, not unless they are deliberately diverting me to the sites (mostly images of weeds) that I wanted to access in the first place. Virus check finds nothing and there are none of the symptoms associated with the redirect virus.

Cojak had the problem yesterday and a number of posts are starting to pop up on the net from other people that just started having this exact same problem yesterday too. They all report that their various AVs find nowt also. May be coincidence but yesterday I also started having a problem with Google search on my little WinCE notebook although other sites including Yahoo are fine.

I suspect that Google have ballsed something up.

deviantART Forum: Google images redirect notice....
    Something annoying » Forum Post by JuniorCrooks

PS
    Short term fix was to switch to Chrome, incidentally
    Maybe that's what Google want us to do. I prefer my IE9. The fix is to switch to Bing.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 27 August 2012, 22:01.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Whcih version of IE? There is a long-known malware trojan that does this, and it's so deeply embedded it reappears if you try and clear it out (guess how I know that...) and is immune to anything and everything you might try to clean it with. I had it on IE7, so upgraded to IE8 - the only way to reinstall IE - and there it was, gone.

Short term fix was to switch to Chrome, incidentally.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I tried it again on FF and Safari and couldn't get it to happen again.

I had an Avast update this morning which may or may not have had something to do with it as it felt more like over-zealous AV rather than Malware (I'm not a fan of the 'I don't need AV, I'm a Fanboi' philosophy myself).

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    It does sound like you've got some third party piece of malware going on, chaps. I use Firefox, and I wasn't able to replicate the problem described using it or IE when I first read this thread last night, so chances are it's not a problem with Google Image Search per se.

It is also possible that you have some Google account option switched, which only causes the issue when you're actually logged in to your Google account, which would explain why in each case it's only happening on your main browser (which is probably the only one that you're signed into your Google account on).

If I had access to your PC, I'd be using Fiddler to see exactly what requests were being made and by whom to diagnose the problem. But it's hard to guess what might be going on just from someone describing the behaviour they're seeing second-hand.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I got that yesterday on FF. Very puzzling as you say Xog.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    started a topic Google redirect

Google redirect

Suddenly, every time I click on an image in Google images I get a Redirect Notice page telling me the previous page is sending me to x. I have to click that link to get the page I want.

It is specifically a Google problem, Bing and Yahoo are fine.
    It only happens with IE and Opera, not FF, Chrome or Safari.
    There's no problem with links in text, or links on images generally, just images on Google's search page..
    It isn't malware as the pages I get to are always the correct ones.

Search shows lots of people with same problem but no solutions. Tried clearing cache/temporary files, logging out of Google, doing system restore - nothing works. Any brill CUK ideas? Ta.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 27 August 2012, 22:00.

Working...
X