• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: PC Won't Power Up

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "PC Won't Power Up"

Collapse

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    So that's a new case, new motherboard, new power supply, and a new hard disk.

Have I missed anything?
    Nope.

On reflection I suspect the motherboard maybe ok, the HD shorted taking out the PSU, which may have overheated and warped the panel behind the motherboard causing a short there maybe, as I didn't look as straight as it did.

So I still have the original processor (the really expensive bit), memory and optical drive

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    And I was a bit previous as well.

Mr C refused to give up and had another look. Unfortunately the PC I last bought was a bit of a design dead end and no PSUs fit the case these days. So he bought a PSU and went back to the old case of the PC that this PC replaced, ripped out the guts of it and put everything into it.

No everything quite fits but he now has the PC working again and he's a very happy bunny.

Reuse, recycle, repair all hit at once!

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    So that's a new case, new motherboard, new power supply, and a new hard disk.

Have I missed anything?
    Power lead?

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    PC now working again - thanks for the advice.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    This thread makes me pleased that I buy a cheap pc and bin it when it goes wrong - usually around every 5 years.

The one exception was a pc which broke after 18 months - it turned out to be the motherboard. It took ages to find a replacement as, at 18 months, it was totally obsolete.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    New case arrived today, so now have new case, new PSU, new motherboard, and still didn't boot when built.

Todays issue is hard disc. When connected to power it wont boot, so also need a new hard disc.

Previous two days it wouldn't boot without hard disc, so we do have progress.

So new hard disc being ordered.

I still have the original processor, memory and optical drive though.

Beginning to think its going to be like Trigger's broom.

Leave a comment:

• BS1397
    replied
    You need to test the PSU without the Motherboard, this is how;

Howto: Hotwire a PC power supply

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    If the psu is good when you short the pins and the switch is good when you test it on your
    Meter then it could be the mobo (bear in mind that this is how the switch on the case gets connected to the psu) so although the board works when force fed power the reset / power on logic is screwed.

Jam a paper clip into the pins on the atx connector and use the switch on the back

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Power switch on on the back of the PSU?

All necessary power connectors plugged on the motherboard, although I woud expect some response even if not enough.

I have one of these. (Why isn't the URL button working?)
    LCD Power Supply Tester : Power Supply Testers : Maplin Electronics

Edit : Oops late to the party. So it's defo not the PSU. Case switch to motherboard connector?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Buy a new one

Problems with power on an old PC

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    It is something to do with the case, either the switch is sticky / noisy or its shorting somewhere.

I now have it running on the bench from the power supply, outside of the bench, powered up by shorting the pins for the power switch with screwdriver.

strange - I wonder if the existing PSU and Mobo that I replaced were OK

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
    I had a new one delivered this morning because I thought it was the PSU, but it doesn't seem that way.
    Probably burst capacitors on the MB. Lots of cheapies used in the last few years apparently and the main cause of lappies \ pc's not booting (always assuming you've checked the plug fuse).

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
    I had a new one delivered this morning because I thought it was the PSU, but it doesn't seem that way.
    Blimey... Pot of coffee over it and quick call to the insurers?

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Can't you find a local PC repair man that will either lend you a PSU for a deposit or buy one and take it back if the returns policy is ok? My local guy lent me one for a tenner deposit which I got back but to be fair he does know me from years of business.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    They are the only suspects I can see now given the symptoms and the fact you've replaced the mobo.

Also (and sorry to state the obvious, but 99% of the time these things ARE the obvious and you end up kicking yourself), your new PSU doesn't have its own integral power switch that you've not turned on?
    Can't you find a local PC repair man that will either lend you a PSU for a deposit or buy one and take it back if the returns policy is ok? My local guy lent me one for a tenner deposit which I got back but to be fair he does know me from years of business.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X