• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC Won't Power Up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Won't Power Up

My backup sandbox PC stopped powering up a couple of days ago.

Today, I swapped the PSU and motherboard, and still not powering up.

Removed Graphics card and gone down to one RAM slot, and tried swapping the sticks, no joy at all.

Power switch works ok - I checked it on my multimeter.

Power supply has standby power live on it - also checked.

All power connectors seem to be where they are supposed to be 24 way, 4 way CPU and CPU fan connected.

What else could it be - could it be the CPU has failed ?

Wouldn't the BIOS boot up and tell me what the problem was if it was CPU or memory ?

Its a i5 2700K which has NOT been overclocked.

Any ideas, other than, and before I go out and buy a new CPU, which seems the logical next step to me ?

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
    Any ideas, other than, and before I go out and buy a new CPU, which seems the logical next step to me ?

If you are getting no power whatsoever and no beep codes, its not your cpu.

Check the obvious, when you replaced that PSU did you use the same cable to the wall to power it?

Comment

Thanks. That is what I thought

It's not the power cable, I just swapped it with the one in my oscilloscope, still not booting - back into the scope and the scope is working.

Comment

Thanks. That is what I thought

It's not the power cable, I just swapped it with the one in my oscilloscope, still not booting - back into the scope and the scope is working.

Is the cooling fan in the PSU starting up ?
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
          Is the cooling fan in the PSU starting up ?
          No - nothing is happening

Comment

No - nothing is happening
            Thats really weird. So your PC stopped powering up, you swapped out the entire PSU and you still get no power to the PSU fan. Dunno, its got to be external to the PC then as PSU's are self contained so theres nothing between it and the wall socket and nothing in the PC would stop the PSU fan spinning up.

Have you tried another wall socket? Only other thing I can think of is if there is something wrong in the mobo and its blown the new PSU as well?
            Last edited by Durbs; 1 August 2012, 13:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
              Thats really weird. So your PC stopped powering up, you swapped out the entire PSU and you still get no power to the PSU fan. Dunno, its got to be external to the PC then as PSU's are self contained so theres nothing between it and the wall socket.

Have you tried another wall socket?
              or power cable?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thats really weird. So your PC stopped powering up, you swapped out the entire PSU and you still get no power to the PSU fan. Dunno, its got to be external to the PC then as PSU's are self contained so theres nothing between it and the wall socket.

Have you tried another wall socket?
                Well I pulled the cable out of the scope and pushed it into the PC, so different cable & socket - didn't work, but did work when put back into scope.

Maybe the case then - but all it has it 2 switches which I checked out.

I've unplugged the HDD, and optical drive, unplugged front audio & USB connections.

All it has is the power switch and the beeper .... arrrgghh !

Comment

Maybe the case then - but all it has it 2 switches which I checked out.
                  They are the only suspects I can see now given the symptoms and the fact you've replaced the mobo.

Also (and sorry to state the obvious, but 99% of the time these things ARE the obvious and you end up kicking yourself), your new PSU doesn't have its own integral power switch that you've not turned on?
                  Last edited by Durbs; 1 August 2012, 13:29.

Comment

They are the only suspects I can see now given the symptoms and the fact you've replaced the mobo.

Also (and sorry to state the obvious, but 99% of the time these things ARE the obvious and you end up kicking yourself), your new PSU doesn't have its own integral power switch that you've not turned on?
                    Can't you find a local PC repair man that will either lend you a PSU for a deposit or buy one and take it back if the returns policy is ok? My local guy lent me one for a tenner deposit which I got back but to be fair he does know me from years of business.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X