• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New black and white Visual Studio 2011"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    "increase the energy levels" by using ALL CAPS…" seriously?
    Did you read the blog? it doesn't say that at all

There are three main aspects of the design where we have increased the “energy” level of the Visual Studio 11 themes. The first is to lighten the grays used in the Visual Studio 11 light theme and window chrome to improve both the energy level and readability of the experience.

The second is to colorize the Status Bar. We are using the status bar color to add visual interest and functional value by communicating various IDE state changes such as when the IDE is in debug mode

The third way in which we will be adding greater flavor to the themes in general is to make broader and slightly bolder use of our accent colors in areas like tool window headers and tab treatments.
    Not that I approve of the use of all caps! But the fact that they reintroduced colour between the beta and RC releases shows that they are at lease listening.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Come back "Brief", all is forgiven!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Enquiring minds wish to know

"increase the energy levels" by using ALL CAPS…" seriously?

The Visual Studio Blog

WILL IT SUPPORT COBOL AND FORTRAN IV?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Outside unix/linux, they don't. And that is a whole different world, linux devs are about 20 years behind the rest of us.
    I use vi (actually vim) on windows all the time. If you know how to use it it's a very useful tool. The search and replace functionality is second to none.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Sure it does. Vertical space is always at a premium, the moment you split your view to show two code panes you start to be low on space.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Well it mentions the changes (for example) gain you ~3 lines of code viewable on screen, and nowhere does it say they are just "to look nice".

Outside unix/linux, they don't. And that is a whole different world, linux devs are about 20 years behind the rest of us.
    The better solution is to buy a bigger screen with a high resolution. ~3 lines of code doesn't matter on a 1920x1280 screen.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I read it as a complaint about change for the sake of change.
    Well it mentions the changes (for example) gain you ~3 lines of code viewable on screen, and nowhere does it say they are just "to look nice".

Why do you think VI and emacs remain so popular.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Everyone seems to be moving to dark themes nowadays. I've no idea why, but I cannot say I like it.

Linky for your Sinofsky comment? I don't fancy searching through 20+ pages of comments to find it.
    I've done it myself recently, it's to do with the normal white background with black text. having a dark background with light text is easier on the eyes.

I wish I'd changed years ago!

Mine is similar to this screenshot

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    You might know the better technology, but you seem to have a lot of difficulty using the tools.
    I read it as a complaint about change for the sake of change. Most developers simply want their tools they use to work the way they used to. Why do you think VI and emacs remain so popular.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You might know the better technology, but you seem to have a lot of difficulty using the tools.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Maybe you should have built SKA in C++, then you could use GCC and emacs and be safe from such hard concepts.
    Maybe I know better what technology to use for SKA?

Just saying like.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Maybe you should have built SKA in C++, then you could use GCC and emacs and be safe from such hard concepts.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    They probably think software developers are good at coping with change. Just be glad it doesn't use the ribbon.
    WHS

I totally ****ing hate Ribbon tulip - made products from 2010 unuseable

Visual Studio team already made mistake in VS 2010 to use effing slow WPF just to prove it's ready for real world usage only to show that it's not and now they are going even further.

If it wasn't for new .NET CLR in it I would not even consider upgrading to that tulip, will have to get automated builds or something whilst still using VS 2008 for development.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    What hype? It's one post on the blog.

There's also a good deal of science behind use of colour - UX design is a proper field in its own right which is one thing the open-source community really needs to learn.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Indeed. What does it say about the actual content of the product that all the hype is about pretty-fying the GUI?
    Mmmm I wonder where that started?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X