• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Technet Subscription - 25% off all Microsoft Store products!"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    204 No Content as the end user browser doesn't need any information back from us
    Ah, OK.

Sorry, that should be 200 OK

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I hope you're sending the appropriate 202 Accepted status in that response
    204 No Content as the end user browser doesn't need any information back from us
    Last edited by eek; 15 January 2013, 15:22.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    The reason for node is a lovely hack. You can send the response immediately to the browser (saying thank you), close the connection and start doing all the database work needed to do to handle the information within request.
    I hope you're sending the appropriate 202 Accepted status in that response

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Have you already investigated mono... it seems pretty crazy to port several years' of code.
    Yes, since around 2006. We don't plan to port key code (some ported and runs so-so, but we can afford there some errors). What we can do is avoid following to the dead end - Microsoft shafted developers more than once recently: VB6, Silverlight, some other parts they decided to shutdown. It's too risky to invest into Windows long term - desktop at home is ok.

Considering 2k8 will be supported for a decade (probably) you seem to be in a rush to jump... what does it matter if MS don't develop .NET further when it's already so good?
    I don't want to pay hefty Microsoft taxes right now - they are going up (expensive Enterprise Server 2012 is licensed to only 2 sockets now, down from 4), can't change that about Intel but at least they sell you whole range of CPUs and don't charge you per user.

Look at what Microsoft is doing now - they are trying to do Apple and take 30% of app sales on their platform (Metro), only that won't work well in PC space - who knows, maybe in Windows 9 all apps will be required to be signed by Microsoft servers after testing (paid), no thanks.
    Last edited by AtW; 15 January 2013, 13:02.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Have you already investigated mono... it seems pretty crazy to port several years' of code.

Considering 2k8 will be supported for a decade (probably) you seem to be in a rush to jump... what does it matter if MS don't develop .NET further when it's already so good?
    He's in a rush to jump because if your making a change in fundamental technology it takes time to do that. In my case its going to take a year or two to remove all MS software from our stack and we've only been going 18 months.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Please tell me that's a joke. Server is the one area MS seems to be improving right now, and running servers you don't need to follow the trend even if Windows does shrink a lot.
    Real joke (very expensive one) is their licensing conditions for the Server - it's total utter BS that in this day and age for a basic Operating System to be licensed based on number of users (CALs), for Internet usage one would need to buy expensive (2000 euros or so) "External Connector" for each server used, fook this tulip when there is Linux that can be put on many cheap x86 boxes. It's very expensive on per server basis anyway (more than a cheap quad core rack server can be bought for).

They give exception to IIS workloads, but why should companies lock themselves into this (ASP.NET) tulip?

Now Microsoft is fooking about with .NET - stupid Metro took so much effort they don't even have published roadmap for next versions of .NET/VS.

Who do you think Microsoft will milk when drop in PC sales will finally bite? Enterprises of course - same as Intel doing now with higher priced Xeons, but at least they don't demand to pay them based on number of users that will be served by the CPU!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Vanilla VS Pro 2012 costs £400 - very cheap over 3 years.

Soon Microsoft will be giving it away because their platform is rapidaly becoming not worth developing for.

SKA Inc is switching to Java/Perl/Linux. Microsoft's future is bleak without Bill Gates.
    We're switching to node on the backend not sure about the front end yet. It may well stay with IIS for a while yet until we recruit people to redo the front end

The reason for node is a lovely hack. You can send the response immediately to the browser (saying thank you), close the connection and start doing all the database work needed to do to handle the information within request.
    You just can't respond quickly under IIS or Apache without offloading it to a separate processing program.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Soon Microsoft will be giving it away because their platform is rapidaly becoming not worth developing for.

SKA Inc is switching to Java/Perl/Linux. Microsoft's future is bleak without Bill Gates.
    Please tell me that's a joke. Server is the one area MS seems to be improving right now, and running servers you don't need to follow the trend even if Windows does shrink a lot.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Vanilla VS Pro 2012 costs £400 - very cheap over 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• Bryan0010165
    replied
    Any chance of the link?

Hi, I'm looking to buy a technetium subscription but can't seem to find technetium within the Microsoft store, could you post a link to it please?

Thank

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Just bought a Technet Standard subscription so I can mess around with a few virtual machines using Windows Server / SQL Server etc that is included in the subscription.

Found a 25% discount code for the Microsoft Store, so only paid £100.21 + vat (which I can reclaim ).

Technet includes all the following (now also including Office 2010) and will include any new products released during the subscription (e.g. SQL Server 2012):

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...duct_List.xlsx

Bargain.

The code below is supposed to work with any product you can buy via the Microsoft store and expires on 10th Febuary 2012.

Discount code: myms25saving

Fill yer boots.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    BizSpark is only available if you have been in business for under three years, so that's not an option for many companies.
    But making up a company is fine. You were going to start a new company for something werent you? I asked them if it was ok as I didnt have a Ltd company at the time, and they said thats not a problem. I must be coming towards the end of my third year soon.

Leave a comment:

• Graham
    replied
    The code below is supposed to work with any product you can buy via the Microsoft store and expires on 10th Febuary 2012.

Discount code: myms25saving
    Doesn't seem to be working any more, tried it on both a new technet subscription and a renewal.

Does anyone have any other codes?

Only one I can find is TNFLA12 (15% discount) which is for TechNet Professional and you have to be subscribed to TechNet Flash newsletter apparently.
    Last edited by Graham; 1 February 2012, 10:21.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Do they require all sorts of details into what software you're developing using their tools, like they did for the Empower programme a few years ago? I've still not started the app that I submitted details of to qualify for that.
    They seem to want a website (for the product) and a very brief description of what the application or company will do.

As the product is already almost there it wasn't much of a problem for me especially as it was production licences I wanted. It should give me a decent reduction on my AWS costs.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    BizSpark looks interesting for those who qualify as it includes Visual Studio which Technet does not. Shame they restrict it to companies under 3 years old.

Do they require all sorts of details into what software you're developing using their tools, like they did for the Empower programme a few years ago? I've still not started the app that I submitted details of to qualify for that.

Almost worth changing Ltd companies every 3 years to re-qualify. Also has the benefit of boxing off old accounts against any retrospective tax legislation or investigations that may decide something was underpaid.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X