• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1"

Collapse

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Okay, so made the plunge and put SP1 on the laptop, which is not my main machine thankfully. Almost everything works just great...except for Google Maps in IE9.

At a specific zoom level on satellite image, the video driver crashes and attempts to recover. After a few flickers and screen blankings the entire machine is hung. On one occaison I actually got a blue screen! Bing Maps works just fine and if anything is faster.

I reinstalled the video driver just in case, but that didn't cure it. Went into safe mode and removed the driver, then installed it again. Nope same result. Totally odd and something that didn't happen before I applied SP1.

Think I'll hold off to update my main dev box until perhaps SP2 is out.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    "Best thing is, SP1 deletes restore points prior to installing!!!!"

Only a mug would have Windows [snip here Linux/OSX fanboys] Automatic Updates set to 'yes please fookup my PC without asking me first' mode.
    After several "incidents" that had me cursing, I have now shoved Windows into a virtual machine and take backups outside it.

A pity, because Windows Backup really steams along for incremental backups and in that respect it would be ideal for hosting virtual machines. The trouble is that I cannot guarantee a hassle free ride to do a restore.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Windows complains (by default) if the automatic update isn't the default option. I think they need to review that belief.
    I've got a screen shot of what happens if you have it set to download updates and then check with you:

Originally posted by Windows 7
    Action Center has detected one or more issues for you to review.

Security

Windows Update

Windows Update is set to install updates after checking with you.
    So even when you take the sensible approach, they are trying to tell you otherwise.

Trusting updates to work isn't the only issue with automatic updates. If you leave your system on overnight, Windows Update is likely to sneak in and reboot it at something like 3 am, even if you have open applications.

They have a similar problem with shutdown and reboot. Task Manager will complain that you have running apps, but doesn't give you time to hit the cancel button and closes down anyway.

This is another area where Apple has it right; OS X will cancel a shutdown if any app throws up a dialog asking you to save your work (X11 will also do this, but you can switch that behaviour off and let the apps running under it trigger a cancellation).
    Last edited by Sysman; 15 March 2011, 13:46.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Yeah, it doesn't pester me when I have it set to 'notify but don't download without my permission' option, which IMO should be the default option anyway.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Windows complains (by default) if the automatic update isn't the default option. I think they need to review that belief.
    It complains about a security risk IIRC if you turn it off automatic but that doesn't mean you have to apply updates automatically. You can set it to download them automatically or listen for new updates and then it simply lets you know updates are available.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    "SP1 is fubared admit M$"

Windows 7 customers hit by service pack 1 install 'fatal error' flaws ? The Register

My favourite bits:

The Register has heard from lots of disgruntled readers who are wasting precious time having to rebuild their machines after the service pack had led to fatal flaws in the OS.

But with Microsoft unable to pinpoint the exact cause of the problem, users are suggesting the only way to avoid the problem is switch off WSUS

Only a mug would have Windows [snip here Linux/OSX fanboys] Automatic Updates set to 'yes please fookup my PC without asking me first' mode.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I see SP1 is in my list of new updates, but the box isn't checked by default. Is that normal or have they done something to try and stop it getting installed by accident until finding the problem?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Not there on mine, though there is IE9 Release Candidate.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Mine is sitting there with the box unchecked. I will let a few more of you install it I think.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    "SP1 is fubared admit M$"

Windows 7 customers hit by service pack 1 install 'fatal error' flaws ? The Register

My favourite bits:

The Register has heard from lots of disgruntled readers who are wasting precious time having to rebuild their machines after the service pack had led to fatal flaws in the OS.

But with Microsoft unable to pinpoint the exact cause of the problem, users are suggesting the only way to avoid the problem is switch off WSUS

Last edited by PAH; 14 March 2011, 16:30. Reason: Too busy rolling on the floor to highlight the juicy bits.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Here's one reason I won't upgrade yet. Breaking change in MDAC ADODB COM components in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (repost with MSDN liveID)

Brilliance by the boys at Redmond, they really know how to F**K you up.
    Crikey grandad, someone still using MDAC from 10 years ago!

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Here's one reason I won't upgrade yet. Breaking change in MDAC ADODB COM components in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (repost with MSDN liveID)

Brilliance by the boys at Redmond, they really know how to F**K you up.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I've only read a brief summary of it but isn't it just a roll-up of all the Windows Update releases to date and not much else of significance?

I saw mention that it was up to 2gb in size (if you hadn't installed any windows updates previously), with my PC showing a download size of '44 to 533mb'. Quite some difference.
    My download was ~60Mb but Win 7 was upto date before this release. I agree, MS servers were very slow downloading it.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Thinking about going into work tomorrow to fire up the PCs up and let 'em whirl to make it easier on everyone on Monday.

Leave a comment:

• wxman
    replied
    Put SP1 on 11 Server 2008 R2 platforms today.

Apart from the fact it takes @ 1 hour 20 mins ot install, all seems so good so far.

also did @ 20 W7 clients - again 1 hours 20 mins. I will push SP1 out to the remaining 100 odd W7 clients when I can arrange down time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X