• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dumping iphone - Android recommendations?"

Collapse

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Recently got a Sony Ericsson Xperia X10i on Orange.

It's great. Should be even better when I upgrade it to Android 2.1

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    I'm going to hold on and wait for the HTC Desire HD afterall.

I might just reinstall the OS on the iphone in the mean time..
    Last edited by Jog On; 6 September 2010, 14:14.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Surely, it would be easier to buy and install a SatNav app such as CoPilot Live and regularly update it.
    I use sat nav at most once a month so it's not really worth the bother.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Most comments I've read say the Window phone 7 will not compete. Not so sure, a very high degree of compatibility (I would assume, from CE etc) with most people's PCs must be a big plus. I could probaby use VS to develop, not Eclipse as with Android. Much simpler.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    If i were chucking the Iphone, i'd wait a little while as Windows Phone 7 has gone to manufacturing and from what i've seen so far, looks pretty sweet.

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Another vote for Galaxy S here.

CBA running sat nav on my phone. I just bought a cheapo sat nav with HD screen from ebay - works perfectly.

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Surely, it would be easier to buy and install a SatNav app such as CoPilot Live and regularly update it.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    A couple of things you could do to minimise the data usage when using google maps as sat nav
    1. Check the route before you leave and memorise which motorway junctions you'll need. Only activate google maps when you leave the motorway.
    2. Keep the map zoomed out as much as you can. You should only need the detail for the last mile or so or any "weird fiddly bits".

I did a 3 hour berkshire to essex trip the other week (should have been 2 hours). I had google maps on the entire way and can see no impact on my bill

Just chcked online, that day I used 9171KB of data.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Bought a Samsung Galaxy recently and been very impressed with it. Very easy OS to understand especially if you are coming from Iphone OS.

It has a GPS built in.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    A couple of things you could do to minimise the data usage when using google maps as sat nav
    1. Check the route before you leave and memorise which motorway junctions you'll need. Only activate google maps when you leave the motorway.
    2. Keep the map zoomed out as much as you can. You should only need the detail for the last mile or so or any "weird fiddly bits".

I did a 3 hour berkshire to essex trip the other week (should have been 2 hours). I had google maps on the entire way and can see no impact on my bill

Thanks. My mistake then. I had it zoomed in pretty close to where I was travelling. Good tips those.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Sounds great! I need to see if there's an Android sat nav app which doesn't cost me the earth to run, or pay O2 the extra £5 a month for data bolt on.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Or jump ship to Orange for unlimited data - this is my bargaining chip for O2 now. Unlimited data or I'm off!
    TBH, O2 is a good deal, I have free O2 to O2 calls, (we all have O2 phones in the family), free calls to 10 landlines, 500 minutes, 500 texts, 512Mb data all for £15 a month shared between 2 mobile phones. Not bad really.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Sounds great! I need to see if there's an Android sat nav app which doesn't cost me the earth to run, or pay O2 the extra £5 a month for data bolt on.
    Or jump ship to Orange for unlimited data - this is my bargaining chip for O2 now. Unlimited data or I'm off!

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Then google maps won't be able to download any info and you'll be flying blind!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Thanks, I was completely unaware I was using 3G data/GPRS data. What about using it in "aircraft mode"?
    Then google maps won't be able to download any info and you'll be flying blind!

EDIT: actually google maps won't work at all without a data connection
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 3 September 2010, 15:02.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    If you use google maps then it downloads the map data as you need them. Same applies for a couple of other sat nav systems

using GPS or the Cellular masts for the positioning shouldn't have any effect.
    Thanks, I was completely unaware I was using 3G data/GPRS data. What about using it in "aircraft mode"?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X