• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: XML editors

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "XML editors"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    edlin

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I've use oXygen XML (primarily the Eclipse plugin, although the license also allows use of the desktop app) for several years, but primarily for the truly excellent XSLT debugger - if you don't need that, it may be a bit pricey.

Haven't tried any others in the last few years, due to Oxygen doing all I need.
    Been running the oXygen trial since this post and today decided to spend some of my hard-earned on it. Any bit of software that makes me unchain the wallet MUST be worth a look. I use XmlSpy in my day job but somehow just found oXygen nicer to use.

Leave a comment:

• xchaotic
    replied
    Adding to this is probably OT for this thread, but one of the beautiful features of the debugger is that you can set breakpoints in the XML file, and the XSLT debugger will stop when it processes that part of the input tree. This is an absolute godsend when you have a large input file whose processing only goes wonky for certain elements.

It may be that other XSLT debuggers can now do the same. Either way, if you're working with XSLT then you need this capability - maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life.
    +1 for Oxygen

There was/is one more editor that's good for debugging XSL - StylusStudio, but I'm sticking with Oxygen as it's more universal and good for actual editing of XML.
    lots of other useful features that I now treat as a given but are hard to find anywhere else really, like schema diagramming, NVDL, RNG support, XML db connectors so you can Xquery directly etc

I also had the pleasure of meeting one the developers of Oxygen and I really like their company structure 40 developers + an accountant, no middle management, no cruft and that's exactly the reason they're pumping major releases every six months or so. Excellent support etc.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I've use oXygen XML (primarily the Eclipse plugin, although the license also allows use of the desktop app) for several years, but primarily for the truly excellent XSLT debugger - if you don't need that, it may be a bit pricey.
    Adding to this is probably OT for this thread, but one of the beautiful features of the debugger is that you can set breakpoints in the XML file, and the XSLT debugger will stop when it processes that part of the input tree. This is an absolute godsend when you have a large input file whose processing only goes wonky for certain elements.

It may be that other XSLT debuggers can now do the same. Either way, if you're working with XSLT then you need this capability - maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 13 May 2010, 03:28.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    M$ XML notepad a bit clunky but works ok

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Notepad++ is pretty good if you're looking for something that's free.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I've already got visual studio

Was after something with a bit more functionality... unless i'm not using VS properly?
    I've only done basic stuff with it, but it could handle displaying an XML file through it's XSLT quite nicely.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied

Whats its WSDL editor like, ever tried it?

Edit: actually, scratch that, just found the free trial link so gonna have a play.
    Last edited by Durbs; 12 May 2010, 17:26.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I've already got visual studio

Was after something with a bit more functionality... unless i'm not using VS properly?

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    If you have an MS Action Pack subscribtion then visual studio is OK, I've used it for hacking around with XML a few times and found it to be more than adequate.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    started a topic XML editors

XML editors

Any XML editor recommendations.

I've used and almost enojyed XMLspy in the past but its a bit pricey for the amount of XML I do.
    Any other recommendations from the panel (preferably free)

Working...
X