• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best Android Applications"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Was coming back in the car tonight and was listening to the radio, tried out shazam and it picked up the band and song in 30 seconds. The DJ came on and said "that is a great song by an unsigned band" probably more impressive.
    The other week I tried it on my iPhone in a very crowded bar full of people shouting at each other. I was having trouble hearing the bar staff over their infernal chatter. Despite all that background noise, Shazam identified the song that was playing in seconds

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    There is no way I want to have a phone that is just a phone anymore.

Technology is truly ******* great when it works like this.
    I don't regard my iPhone as a phone. It can be used as a phone, but that's peripheral to what it is.

Last night my former-rock-star friend was in the pub and called over to me, wanting to know who played drums in The Casuals, who had a hit in 1968 with Jesamine, written by Marty Wilde. A few seconds later I gave him the answer (Bob O'Brien), then went to a YouTube post (it isn't actually a video, but a lot of old music gets posted with just a picture as the video component) and handed the phone across, where he and the other musicians he was with proceeded to have an animated discussion about the transition into the middle eight, playing it over and over again as they analysed it

Later he said, "If somebody had told you twenty years ago that something like that would be possible when you were just chatting in the pub, you wouldn't have believed them." He's right

My reply to such comments now is, "The future has finally arrived; it's here for you to enjoy (Except the jetpacks.)"

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Just tried out snaptell by taking 3 pictures of items in the kitchen. A captain Beefheart album, a Brian Wilson album and a Rick Stein Seafood Book. Got them all in one go, impressive.

Was coming back in the car tonight and was listening to the radio, tried out shazam and it picked up the band and song in 30 seconds. The DJ came on and said "that is a great song by an unsigned band" probably more impressive.

There is no way I want to have a phone that is just a phone anymore.

Technology is truly ******* great when it works like this.

Leave a comment:

• bobsyouruncle
    replied
    I like mytracks and rmaps, only thing is they are reliant on 3g. With Ordnance Survey releasing their maps online a few days ago anyone know of a way to convert them to an offline format for use with rmaps?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    What? No comment by Threaded yet?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I only tried shopsavvy out on a couple of barcodes in the house but it certainly seemed to come back with more results than barcode scanner and google shopping.

I also changed the sms app to use handcent SMS which seems to be better than the default one.

As soon as my manager leaves I am playing ThrottleCopter for the rest of the day.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
    ShopSavvy only seems to price in dollars - I used to have something that did UK prices, but can't remember what it was.
    Scratch that - I've just tried it and got some things from UK websites come back. Last time I used it was when I first got a G1 18 months ago, so it's obviously got better since then

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Here's my list of apps on my phone:
    • phone
    Ho ho - I'd suggest that that isn't the complete list.

I'd class that as "rather than the ones that come with the OS" though.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Here's my list of apps on my phone:
    • phone

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Not been unleashed on a shop yet to test shopsavvy fully, I only got my phone last week and had a play about with google shopper and barcode scanner in currys at the weekend. (some of the stuff was double the price but that's another story) . Have SnapTell installed as well but not even turned that on, I think you can take a picture of album/book art and it claims it will work it out.

AugSatNav looks like a decent freebie.

LastFM just blows me away.

Been told Shapewriter is the keyboard to go for but can't get it to work.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    ShopSavvy only seems to price in dollars - I used to have something that did UK prices, but can't remember what it was.

Have installed LastFM and the Sky Map now. I saw a similar sky map thingy on iPhone and was after an Android one - ta!

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Layar
    ShopSavvy
    Flixster
    LastFM
    Shazam
    Google sky map
    Dolphin Browser

Can't get Beeb player to work.

I found this page which got me up and running.

http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/20...ps-v1-6-a.html

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    started a topic Best Android Applications

Best Android Applications

Since the Apple fanbois seem so proud of how many applications there are out there, I wondered what applications people using Android phones are using.

Here's my list of applications that I have installed (rather than the ones that come with the OS):
    • Advanced Task Killer
    • Barcode Scanner
    • BeebPlayer
    • DopeWars
    • DroidIn-Lite
    • GDocs
    • Linda Manager
    • Opera Mini 5 beta
    • Pkt Auctions eBay
    • ThrottleCopter
    • Trap!
    • Zebra Paint

Of the seeded applications, the one I seem to be using most is Peep (Twitter client) and GMail.

Am I missing out on any other really good apps that I must have???

Working...
X