• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IPhone Apps. Has anyone written any?"

Collapse

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Does the iPhone ecosystem support a "try for 30 days then pay £2.99 to continue using it" model?

There seem to be a lot of apps you have to pay for, but I rarely download them as I don't really trust the reviews system and if they don't do the job I want then it's a waste of money.
    Not currently AFAIK (sure I heard a while back that this was maybe on the cards)

You'd have to either offer a free Lite version and a paid for Full version or offer a single app for free and then allow purchasing of 'premium' in-app content - seems most of the big money makers are using the latter model so looks like it works.

Know Apple were widely slated for not offering Demo functionality but as far as I can see, the 'Lite' versions ARE effectively demos.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Does the iPhone ecosystem support a "try for 30 days then pay £2.99 to continue using it" model?

There seem to be a lot of apps you have to pay for, but I rarely download them as I don't really trust the reviews system and if they don't do the job I want then it's a waste of money.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    Just need ideas that haven't been done yet.
    One good point I saw recently is that there are a lot of things that have been done, but not done well: by creating an app that really raises the bar in terms of user experience you can gain users of existing products who are fed up with having to use something that is only just good enough.

This should not be interpreted as encouraging anybody to "make a better fart app"

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    Has anyone released apps?
    If so how many?
    What sort of approximate income stream does it provide?
    How much time has been invested for that return?
    Yes, I have, one app for Plan B thats been in the store for ages as a freebie and i'm just about to release a major update to it which is hopefully going to make me some cash via in-app purchases. also working on my first game.

Many months of my spare time invested for a return of £0, BUT, I'm now pretty proficient at Obj-C and iPhone development as a whole so that now opens up more potential for future apps that I can charge for.

Just need ideas that haven't been done yet.

Really glad I went the native route rather than using something like mono or HTML5 web app as it tought me loads and it wouldn't be a big jump for me to develop for Mac desktop now.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    raising a dead thread I know but I'm now curious as to what the current state of play is with app development..

I have an idea and am looking into starting app development.

Has anyone released apps?
    If so how many?
    What sort of approximate income stream does it provide?
    How much time has been invested for that return?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    It isn't Flash as such; it allows Flash developers to compile their Flash apps to native iPhone code, but it doesn't use the Flash runtime. I suppose the poor lambs are scared of OpenGL ES and need Adobe to do all the nasty programming for them
    Yup, I know what it does. It means theres going to be a lot more dross on the app store...

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Be prepared for an onslaught of flash in the coming months...
    Lets just hope that Apple have plenty of ink for their app store DENIED stamp

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

http://www.tipb.com/2010/03/24/flash...ches-april-12/
    It isn't Flash as such; it allows Flash developers to compile their Flash apps to native iPhone code, but it doesn't use the Flash runtime. I suppose the poor lambs are scared of OpenGL ES and need Adobe to do all the nasty programming for them

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Trouble is, you don't make any money selling the app as it isn't an app and it isn't in the App Store.

http://www.tipb.com/2010/03/24/flash...ches-april-12/

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by mbb View Post
    Looked into it for a recent project but the overhead of learning objective-c was too great. In the end we used http://www.jqtouch.com/ to deliver the web-app to the client, with a native-app feel
    Trouble is, you don't make any money selling the app as it isn't an app and it isn't in the App Store.

Leave a comment:

• mbb
    replied
    Looked into it for a recent project but the overhead of learning objective-c was too great. In the end we used http://www.jqtouch.com/ to deliver the web-app to the client, with a native-app feel

Leave a comment:

• lxt04
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I was just interested if anyone, anyone outside of Dim, AtW, DA & myself actually had any proper business or real passive income stream of anything of any note. In this case IPhone Apps.
    Actually, I contract as an iPhone developer. It's a reasonable day rate - nothing special, but better than what a lot of people with my experience and CV without the iPhone work are getting right now - and I get to build some nice apps for big brands and companies. Frustratingly, a lot of my work forms part of larger advertising campaigns that haven't run yet, so I'm not allowed to talk about them!

I also have a free, niche app on the store that I put up to satisfy the clients who demand app store experience. I used to work in e-learning, and developed iPhone apps internally for universities, so never had any reason to be on the app store until I started contracting.

I was trying to work out the rate on returns on IPhone Apps. To be only a few can be successful, some may break even and 99% must lose investment.
    A rough figure that I use in the commercial world based on a number of sources is that any app that costs more than £40,000 to develop is almost certain to make a loss. In the world of the sole developer, the odds are even more against you.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Fair enough Nick. Fairplay. Respect.
    Cheers MF

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Oh look, I'm in the French Wikipedia

And there's also more screenshots of Night Hunter covering every level, and an incomplete listing at MobyGames

Edit: ah, here's TRAZ for the PC
    Fair enough Nick. Fairplay. Respect.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Give me some more links Gonz?

I thought I was talking to this wet behind the ears coder. www.nickfitz.co.uk?
    Oh look, I'm in the French Wikipedia

And there's also more screenshots of Night Hunter covering every level, and an incomplete listing at MobyGames

Edit: ah, here's TRAZ for the PC
    Last edited by NickFitz; 14 March 2010, 22:27.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X