• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: 17" laptops

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "17" laptops"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by BigTime View Post
    why stop at 17"?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Widescr.../dp/B001H8B6ES

i have a 17" at 1440x900 which is perfect for surfing all day and never moves from the desk.
    from the tech details on your link:
    Large 17 inch screen for viewing and editing high resolution photos
    <snip>
    Watch High Definition movies on the large 18.4 inch High Definition screen
    So which is it??

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    why stop at 17"?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Widescr.../dp/B001H8B6ES

i have a 17" at 1440x900 which is perfect for surfing all day and never moves from the desk.

Leave a comment:

• vhadiant
    replied
    I'm happy with my Dell M1710. Awesome screen & video card. But it's getting old now and thinking of getting a new one. This time it won't be another XPS as I don't really play games that often. Currently considering one of the Asus 17" laptops.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Dells no longer seem to come with that option after lots of complaints about fuzzy screens due to whatever panels they were using.
    Mine had a fuzzy screen when I first got it, I had to set the Nvidia Graphics card up properly before it was using the full resolution.
    ClearType tuning was also a must

After that its been fine

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    Probably obvious advice, but I'd go and try some out first hand. That resolution at 15" might be a bit tiring on the eyes.

Any suggestions where? Not seen any in PC World etc that have the higher resolutions.

Calling any 17" laptop a laptop is stretching it. They're huge.

I was contemplating getting a 15.4" with WUXGA (1920x1200) myself but think at that size maybe the WSXGA+ (1680x1050) is a better resolution. Unfortunately the Dells no longer seem to come with that option after lots of complaints about fuzzy screens due to whatever panels they were using. So you can get a 15.4" Vostro for under 500 quid with WUXGA if you're sure it's the right combination.

One good thing I've heard about Vista is it has much better font scaling than XP, so you can get good font sizes on a 15.4" WUXGA, though not seen it to determine if it's defeating the point of the resolution!

Back to the original point, I'd like to see them in the flesh too, though YouTube has some good if somewhat amateurish (the guy with the boxers on the bed in the background and his mum shouting off camera comes to mind ) reviews and vids showing various models at various resolutions.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I use a Dell Vostro 17" laptop as my main PC these days, it's not all that bulky, has a basically full size keyboard with num pad, plenty of HD space and a very clear screen, I've been entirely happy with it.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    And I have glasses for short sigtedness - with the following reduction in size. I probably need a 24" laptop next year
    in which case you probably wouldn't benefit from an extremely high screen resolution

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

I think the fact I'm long sighted and wear glasses to correct this helps me read the smaller stuff, there is a slight magnification
    And I have glasses for short sigtedness - with the following reduction in size. I probably need a 24" laptop next year

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    You're about 14 aren't you?

I can't read that on this 19 inch monitor, and I probably couldn't on the 21 inch one in my proper office...

Wot it is to get old... <sob>

I think the fact I'm long sighted and wear glasses to correct this helps me read the smaller stuff, there is a slight magnification

should also add, laptops generally have a higher resolution than the equivelent or even larger monitor. The 22" wide screen monitor I have in my office has a lower resolution than the laptop
    Also make sure you use the clear type addon for windows... it makes everything a lot clearer
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 21 October 2008, 15:26.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    That is a tidy piece of kit. You have a bit of drool there on your shirt by the way...
    just found an offer - 3025 GBP aaaaarrrggghhhhh

I have to sell grannie to get it. But get it I will

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I will need a good size screen real estate so I was looking at getting one with a resolution of 1900 x 1200.
    I've got the Dell Precision M65 15.4" screen at 1900 x 1200
    Works fine for me, although a lot of people who look at it seem amazed that I can read it.
    In terms of screen real estate - I can open word docs and show 2 full pages and read/edit them

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    just look at whis baby and salivate

http://www5.pc.ibm.com/uk/products.n...pi=web_express
    That is a tidy piece of kit. You have a bit of drool there on your shirt by the way...

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    just look at whis baby and salivate

http://www5.pc.ibm.com/uk/products.n...pi=web_express

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Bearing in mind you can run Mac OS X on a PC, does that really apply?
    I need to run windows, so if I would by a mac it would only be for the hardware. And they do look nice but I am not sure I am arty enough to have one.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    <obligatory mac zealot>

Get a Mac

</obligatory mac zealot>
    Bearing in mind you can run Mac OS X on a PC, does that really apply?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X