• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Trojan

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Trojan"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    I've just had to rewind my PC back to before I installed 4OD (uses bloody kservices.exe).

This slowed it down to a crawl...

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    I'd avoid McAfee and Norton like the plague...full of bloatware and guaranteed to scr3w your PC around.

I use F-Secure Internet Security for home use (Sophos for work).

For Trojans and the like, I use a combination of Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Counterspy and Ashampoo Anti-Spyware

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    From my experiance Kaspersky is one of the better ones. I used to use McAffee but the latest version is a pig, prolly because symantic bought them....(My opinion of symantic is very low indeed).

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by cykophysh39
    www.avast.com

Download the anti virus , the home edition is free and it is the Mutts Nutts
    It's good but it does not find everything.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    format c: doesn't touch the MBR...
    Or the D: drive

Leave a comment:

• cykophysh39
    replied
    www.avast.com

Download the anti virus , the home edition is free and it is the Mutts Nutts

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    I can think of one occasion when 'format c:' didn't help at all.

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    format C: - best of breed.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    In such situations as yours, I use the Trinity Rescue Kit - it boots to a Linux prompt but is really easy to use. If it's connected to the network it can download the latest definitions for ClamAV, Bitdefender, AVG and another one that escapes me and then scan the PC.

P.S. it's free

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy
    Sometimes viruses attack the boot sector of the hard drive and this is the only way of removing them other than a new install of the OS.
    That's a very good point and is the reason my new PC has 2 hard drives, a smaller 80Gb for the OS and a 400Gb for data. It'll make it far easier to re-install the OS if ever need be.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pig
    Paddy,

Have tried to system restore but unsure when it downloaded will be restoring again going back 2 months. But unsure whether I will still have the problem after this.

Symptoms are machine slowing down and appears to crash when virus checkers locate it. According to checkers it is a malacious programme trying to access my information. Virus checkers are telling me it is a 'bearshare' virus (malwarew). Currently running the following
    stinger
    avg
    sophos
    norton (appears to find it but crashes at that point)

Both avg and sophos have found it but machine crashes before I can get to it.
    If you can give me any help it will be appreciated.

Cheers
    Pig
    According to Sophos, Bearshare is not a virus it is a Controlled application . Many AV products wrongly detect some legitimate programs as viruses. Even worse some anti-virus products detect phantom virus in order that users will want to buy the full version of their product. There are AV products that actually plant viruses into the PC.

I doubt the problems that you have are caused by that particular “virus”, but the actions of your PC running slow seems to point to spyware.

I would recommend removing all of your AV programmes and use either Norton, Sophos or the free version of Avast. For spy ware use the free version of Spybot.

If your PC is crashing running these applications (presuming you don't have a hardware fault) then download a bootable CD (XP?) from the net, that way it will boot without the virus in memory. You can the install and run the AV. (This is a much easier job than it sounds)

Sometimes viruses attack the boot sector of the hard drive and this is the only way of removing them other than a new install of the OS.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Have you tried rebooting in safe mode without any networking, and then run anti-viruses?

Leave a comment:

• Pig
    replied
    Trojan

Originally posted by Paddy
    I haven't found one product that does all.
    What are the symptoms and details and I can tell you how to remove it manually.
    Paddy,

Have tried to system restore but unsure when it downloaded will be restoring again going back 2 months. But unsure whether I will still have the problem after this.

Symptoms are machine slowing down and appears to crash when virus checkers locate it. According to checkers it is a malacious programme trying to access my information. Virus checkers are telling me it is a 'bearshare' virus (malwarew). Currently running the following
    stinger
    avg
    sophos
    norton (appears to find it but crashes at that point)

Both avg and sophos have found it but machine crashes before I can get to it.
    If you can give me any help it will be appreciated.

Cheers
    Pig

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I used Kaspersky and it fixed my Pandex Trojan problem... you can download a free trial version of the AV and use that to rid the system of the trojan.

Leave a comment:

• oloks
    replied
    Have u tried Kaspersky?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X