• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: CD player

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CD player"

Collapse

• _V_
    replied
    How about taking a small Alexa smart device with you? Has a screen, quite cheap, can be used as a bluetooth speaker and media device, and can be used for other things when on holiday, assuming there is some Wifi there?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08KGTW3...sin_B08KGTW3CV

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    This music player boombox thingy appears to take a USB stick. Might be a load of crap but for under £8...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403986900143
    Cheapies from Ebay can be a bit hit and miss, I bought a small bluetooth speaker for less than a fiver, it's actually quite good. As there's no screen, it won't be the best to access individual tracks, so it would be easier once you've ripped a CD is to merge each into a single MP3 file. Or add a cheap MP3 player with screen for < £10, link via BT or aux cable. I used to use Shaungs audio joiner, free & very basic but dead easy to use.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    This music player boombox thingy appears to take a USB stick. Might be a load of crap but for under £8...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403986900143
    Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 21 November 2022, 13:49.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Any TV with a DVD can probably play CDs.

But if you want autonomy get a cheap discman and a 3.5mm jack-to-jack cable and then you can plug it in the TV/sound system anywhere that has one, and/or take a wireless speaker.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Do you have one of those laptoppy type computers? They often have bluetooth and will connect to a GBS.
    Aye but it's a bit ancient like me. 12-year old Compaq Presario CQ56-104SA. Apparently, some variants of the CQ56 had a combi wi-fi/bluetooth card but not the 104SA I've got.

In any case, it's a bit of a lump, so I'd rather not lug it on holiday.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

You didn't really expect a dinosaur like me to have a smartphone did you?

I'll use the TV/DVD, as that'll probably have a better sound than anything portable I can take with me.
    Do you have one of those laptoppy type computers? They often have bluetooth and will connect to a GBS.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Better alternatives? Rip your CDs to MP3 (or your preferred audio format), save the files on phone, get a bluetooth GBS and play your tunes on that. Or use a streaming service.
    You didn't really expect a dinosaur like me to have a smartphone did you?

I'll use the TV/DVD, as that'll probably have a better sound than anything portable I can take with me.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Sorry, but it had to be done.
    It certainly did!

Wow. I ripped my CDs to MP3s years ago. I've got most of them on a memory stick in my car. DVD players can play CDs.

Better alternatives? Rip your CDs to MP3 (or your preferred audio format), save the files on phone, get a bluetooth GBS and play your tunes on that. Or use a streaming service.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Sorry, but it had to be done.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    started a topic CD player

CD player

We've booked a holiday early next year, and are renting a place. I want to take a couple of CDs but there isn't a CD player. It does have a TV with a DVD player. Can CDs be played through that?

When we went away a few years ago, we bought a cheap CD boombox but it was so tinny (definitely no boom!) that we ended up leaving it behind rather than carting it home.

Is there a better alternative? Something light and compact which produces a decent sound? Would it have to have a CD player? Maybe a device with memory that I could copy the CDs on to or something which takes a memory stick?

Thanks.

Working...
X