• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Connect webcam to two PCs"

Collapse

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Does it work ok? It's not dodgy Chinese tat that gets fake 5 star reviews is it?
    The UGreen stuff is usually pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Yes but no.

I have to install the Dell display manager app thingy on all devices to get full KVM (otherwise it just acts as a secondary monitor) and clientCo's laptop won't let me. Also, I don't think it'll work with a webcam
    Boo. Poor show. Disappointed*.

* Now need another excuse for a new monitor.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Does it work ok? It's not dodgy Chinese tat that gets fake 5 star reviews is it?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I use one of these (recommended here I believe) for that: https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Select.../dp/B01N6GD9JO
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Se.../dp/B01N6GD9JO for the (far cheaper) UK link,

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I use one of these (recommended here I believe) for that: https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Select.../dp/B01N6GD9JO

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    Doesn't your shiny new monitor manage some sort of KVM arrangement?
    Yes but no.

I have to install the Dell display manager app thingy on all devices to get full KVM (otherwise it just acts as a secondary monitor) and clientCo's laptop won't let me. Also, I don't think it'll work with a webcam

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    My last foray into a KVM type device was many moons ago. I'm pleased to see they now do USB ones. Sounds like it'll do the job nicely, thanks
    Doesn't your shiny new monitor manage some sort of KVM arrangement?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    My last foray into a KVM type device was many moons ago. I'm pleased to see they now do USB ones. Sounds like it'll do the job nicely, thanks

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    You can get automatic or manual USB switches. I used to use one to switch between two computers - so I had one keyboard, one mouse and one monitor (which I switched separately).

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    I simply unplug my device from one computer to another. The laptop port is easy enough to get to as it's ob the desk and my PC has USB ports at the front to plug it into. I do the same with the keyboard. Low tech but highly effective.
    Last edited by BlueSharp; 11 September 2020, 11:09.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I just have a USB switch that doesn't have a built in cable (it uses a USB A to B cable to connect to the computer) I also have a second lead for when the keyboard, mouse and camera need to be connected to the laptop.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Simple enough.

Thanks for the suggestion, I was completely overthinking it.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/s...1-1/dp/CS13283

UGREEN USB 3.0 Switch, 2 In 4 Output USB 3.0 Sharing: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

0.5M/1M/1.5M USB Extension Cable USB 3.0 A male To USB: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Would it be easier to buy a second webcam?
    Failing that it sounds like you'd want a USB switch.

Actually, rethinking it...
    Run a USB extension cable from the laptop to near your PC, unplug webcam from PC and plug into the extension cable when you need to

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    started a topic Connect webcam to two PCs

Connect webcam to two PCs

Is there a way I can attach a USB webcam to two devices?

I don't expect to use both devices at the same time so if I need a switching device of some description that's fine.

Use case: I have a client provided laptop that I remote into using AnyDesk from my personal desktop so I can use the monitor, mouse and keyboard attached to that and keep the desk clutter down. The laptop is put to one side, well out the way of my working space. I have a USB webcam attached to my PC and positioned on top of the monitor. I need to occasionally show my face in meetings which means moving the laptop from its position and into the middle of my desk. This is a non-trivial exercise due to the amount of stuff I need to shift out the way so I'm looking for a way to share the webcam with both devices.

Working...
X