• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Apple TV

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Apple TV"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I was just going to plug ma telly into it !
    Most modern TV's have an ARC channel so will work seamlessly, older ones need the Playbar or Playbase which has an optical input

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I was toying between the Playbar and Base, but the Beam seems to be a nice sweet spot between the two when coupled with two Play:1's to create a 5.0 surround system. Also means I can upgrade the Play:1's I have to Play One's (cause that's not confusing) to add better Alexa integration without needing separate Echo Dot's
    I was just going to plug ma telly into it !

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Let us know how you get on with the Beam. Have been resisting one of those for a while now I may have to just give in!
    I was toying between the Playbar and Base, but the Beam seems to be a nice sweet spot between the two when coupled with two Play:1's to create a 5.0 surround system. Also means I can upgrade the Play:1's I have to Play One's (cause that's not confusing) to add better Alexa integration without needing separate Echo Dot's

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    (also threw in a SONOS Beam)
    Let us know how you get on with the Beam. Have been resisting one of those for a while now I may have to just give in!

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    64GB ordered (also threw in a SONOS Beam) should be coming today

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Bought a laptop from ebuyer for £279 running Windows XP back in 2009, still running now.
    Apple is never cheaper.

A neighbour bought a Lada in 2009, it's also still running now. But I prefer my Tesla

To summarise, I think the ATV is a good purchase if,
    (1) you want to stream iTunes purchases to your TV but not via a laptop or phone, as a matter of convenience

(2) I understand that the ATV acts as a "hub" if you're into "Home Kit" (I am not)

(3) You want more/better apps than you can get on your SmartTV, and you want them updated so they actually work.
    For example, my "SmartTV" has an app that can (sometimes) stream from Plex, but it was never reliable or pretty. The Plex app on the ATV is reliable and pretty.
    The C4 app on my phone doesn't let me "cast" to my TV. I believe the Sky app also has some "casting" restrictions.

(4) You want to unify your TV/Movies services to one device/one screen (iTunes, Amazon, BBC, C4, Plex, Netflix, you name it) even though every TV has *some* of these.

(5) Gaming, about which I know nothing.

Yes you can do all these things on other devices and by other means, and more cheaply, but I like the fact that the ATV does everything I want, whereas other devices seem to do maybe 80-90% but not everything.

AFAICT the Amazon Fire TV devices come close, but because I have an iPhone, iPad and Macbook, the Apple product made sense for me.

EDIT: I just Googled how to Airplay to a Fire Stick. It's a right faff.

If none of the above applies to you, then do not get an ATV!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Cheaper yes, better no always

My last Macbook lasted 7 years, I've never had a Windows machine last that long.

Also to counter OPM's point yes you can replicate most other iOS "features" with Android et al but the main selling point to me is that with Apple it all just "works together" there is no faffing around to get things working.
    Bought a laptop from ebuyer for £279 running Windows XP back in 2009, still running now.

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    You don’t need Apple care, my hinges failed on my air several years outside the extended jl warranty. Not only did Apple replace the case, but the screen and motherboard foc whilst I waited.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    I get teh ecosystem. I use iPhone/iPad. I have a macbook from 2012 that still runs great, although I use it less as it has no Visio and Powershelkl is rubbish on it.

I just don't get the TV. I'll look at the games, but I can't see that I'll be that interested as I use a PC for games.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You can NOT get a like-for-like product for 1/2 the price. You can get the same broad spec for half the price but that doesn't mean it's the same product. In the same way Kia and Audi cars of similar size might have the same specs but are different.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    The boys have iPhones/iPads so already have the eco-system.
    Then play the Apple arcade games on them. Even less reason to buy the apple TV. Of course you are free to spend your money as you see fit

My last Macbook lasted 7 years, I've never had a Windows machine last that long.

Also to counter OPM's point yes you can replicate most other iOS "features" with Android et al but the main selling point to me is that with Apple it all just "works together" there is no faffing around to get things working.
    "Stuff just works" is the main reason why Apple is the mobile platform of choice in our household.

We will have to agree to disagree on the Mac front tho. Pre 2015-16 Macbooks are good, in the last couple of years it's all downhill. Then there was the complete debacle with Catalina end of last year, dispelling the notion that OSX is so much better than Windows.

On long lasting of PCs - My brother in law still uses an old rig of mine with the original Intel core i7 11ish years after I build it. My father still uses HP laptop I gave him as a BD present about 10 years ago and my previous 5-6 years old desktop rig. Personally I have switched to laptops as of late and have zero issues with 4 years old Surface book. The jury is out on the latest Dell XPS 13 as it's only 6 months old.

Meanwhile the missus Macbook air circa 2016 barely hold 30mn of battery charge and has been running like a dog, even after complete reinstall of OSX.

Then there is the appalling 1 year warranty or massive premium for Apple care+ at their price range that's a disgrace. Even if a non-Apple laptop lasts 1/2 as long, does it matter when you can get it for 1/2 the price with 3-5 years warranty?

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    My 2008 MacBook Air needs a new battery. But still working

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied

I agree some Apple products or good - this MacBook Air thingy I have is great, boots up quickly etc but all I really use it for is surfing the web n watching a few you tube video's..

Thing is most things just 'work' together with google/amazon etc - so can watch netflix on my phone and then pick up on my tablet and then on my tv - same with youtube, amazon music etc.

Anyway - each to their own so just use what works for you!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied

My last Macbook lasted 7 years,
    I've never had a Windows machine last that long.

8 Years and counting here. Late 2011 model MacBook Pro. It's had a new battery but that's it.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I only have a MacBook due to the digital/agile/hipsters coming into our business few years back an insisting on using these devices...

I also have a normal windows laptop....

But yeah seems apple products are just an expensive way to do what other products do cheaper and often better.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X