• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: "Smart" homes

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on ""Smart" homes"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Pls report back ! TIA.
    The answer is: yes it works, easy to wire up etc, good images sent to multiple phones/tablets - and they ring similar to when you get a phone/video call.

...but... it doesn’t work with their wireless chime, which is a shame.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    If I lived in a smaller house, my office was at the front of the house, and I didn't spend a lot of time in the garden, then I'd have less interest in getting a video doorbell.
    Hence the thread.
    First world problems, eh?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    If he did then he wouldn't need one of these ( Video Doorbell | Arlo Home Security | Arlo), Shirley?

If I lived in a smaller house, my office was at the front of the house, and I didn't spend a lot of time in the garden, then I'd have less interest in getting a video doorbell.
    Hence the thread.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Decision made: Video Doorbell | Arlo Home Security | Arlo
    Will get one next week.
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Is there a way to stop someone in a balaclava with a chisel just prying it off the wall and selling it in the pub?
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Live in a better area?
    If he did then he wouldn't need one of these ( Video Doorbell | Arlo Home Security | Arlo), Shirley?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Live in a better area?

It would be till the likes of us move in.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Is there a way to stop someone in a balaclava with a chisel just prying it off the wall and selling it in the pub?
    Live in a better area?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Will get one next week.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Will get one next week.
    Pls report back ! TIA.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Will get one next week.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Why I don't trust it, yet:

Amazon Ring Employees Fired For Spying on Customer Video

Although not smart homes, it still shows that you can't trust your data:

Skype audio graded by workers in China with 'no security measures' | Technology | The Guardian
    I trust my data, I don't trust what any company is doing with it....

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Why I don't trust it, yet:

Amazon Ring Employees Fired For Spying on Customer Video

Although not smart homes, it still shows that you can't trust your data:

Skype audio graded by workers in China with 'no security measures' | Technology | The Guardian

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Indeed - you should protest

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Surely your smartphone IS 90% of the privacy issue.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post

And finally I guess i do not live in an area where strange people come sneaking around your really nice house on a regular basis as some of those doorbell adds would have you think....

Maybe I am just a luddite though.

I don't live in an area like that either - the postman knows that if he hears the dog barking, the door is probably unlocked and will just set any parcel in the house. But other delivery men don't know that. Deliveries tend to occur during the day when I'm working in my office at the back of the house, or down the garden. It's a lot easier to tell someone to open the door and leave the parcel while still continuing with conference calls etc.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    And finally I guess i do not live in an area where strange people come sneaking around your really nice house on a regular basis as some of those doorbell adds would have you think....

Maybe I am just a luddite though.

I solved that problem by not having a really nice house.

Want to borrow my sabot?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X