• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Canon 1000D

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Canon 1000D"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    You've got two options, the file out of the camera can be reduced thus lowering the quality of the image, or you can alter it with some post processing software (GIMP is free), I would always suggest the latter even if it is a bit more of a faff as you can always keep the original (I'd recommend RAW which will be about a 12mb file) and then tinker later.

If the file is purely for the web have a look at the newer file format webp from Google gaining appreciation

A new image format for the Web | WebP | Google Developers

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    thanks, I've looked on my menu display and it's not immediately obvious there. I've not had time today (looking after grandchildren) to root out the manual to check.
    On your menu display will be a little icon like three bars in a quarter circle. That's the image quality option. Don't know if the 1000D does touch screen, but on my 650D you just click on it

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Page 64 of the manual cover it?

https://nnps.org/pdf_files/Camera%20...D%20Manual.pdf

If you don't mind uploading your pics to christ knows where then this tool is useful

Resize a JPG - Online JPG Tools
    Last edited by northernladuk; 17 September 2019, 14:53.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Load onto a computer. Use software that can resize JPGs. There's plenty of free offerings, some of them online.

I gather GIMP is quite popular.
    ok, thanks, I'll research this offering.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I think it's in the camera settings. I have an 1100D gathering dust at home, I'll fire it up and double check if you can't find it
    thanks, I've looked on my menu display and it's not immediately obvious there. I've not had time today (looking after grandchildren) to root out the manual to check.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Load onto a computer. Use software that can resize JPGs. There's plenty of free offerings, some of them online.

Yes, that works as well, and it's what I do to pass on photos that are otherwise too big.

It all depends what eventual limage quality is required. If I'm photoing a Sea Eagle at 300 yards with a long lens, I'll have the camera take the biggest densest picture it can so I can blow up the bits I want and still have decent quality. Normally I use medium size and high density, which seems to work well.

Incidentlaly my current Canon, its two predecessors and the mickey little ShureShot we still use on occasion all have hte same setting option. I'm sure the 1000D will as well.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    How can I reduce the size of the JPG files it creates, either before or after the photo is taken?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I think it's in the camera settings. I have an 1100D gathering dust at home, I'll fire it up and double check if you can't find it

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    The menu option to define what size image you want is there, if you look. Three sizes and three densities as I recall...
    ok, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    The menu option to define what size image you want is there, if you look. Three sizes and three densities as I recall...

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    started a topic Canon 1000D

Canon 1000D

How can I reduce the size of the JPG files it creates, either before or after the photo is taken? Some sites won't accept images greater than 3mb and the Canon creates files of 4mb on average.

edit
    I can see there are a number of products available, but what is the simplest way?
    Last edited by JohntheBike; 17 September 2019, 08:38.

Working...
X