• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone know anything about Drones?"

Collapse

• redgiant
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    I have got the Mavic pro.
    Very nice, but quite daunting the thought that it might crash somewhere.

Any recommendations for drone insurance?
    I haven't taken out any specific insurance. I fly in the US and UK so no specific drone insurance is required at the moment. Each country has differing requirements on if insurance.

Useful information on not just the UK but other countries as well - Drone regulations in Great Britain (United Kingdom) - Drone Traveller
    CCA's Drone Website - Introduction - Dronesafe

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    I have got the Mavic pro.
    Very nice, but quite daunting the thought that it might crash somewhere.

Any recommendations for drone insurance?

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    I have a Mavic Air & a little toy drone that is less than 100g.

The Air is very stable and takes great 4k stills and video at 60fps and can follow you around with a few commands. I have had a few accidents with it landing in a tree and loosing signal and crashing into a wall but you have to expect some problems with anything that relies on GPS and WiFi.

The toy drone is very unstable especially outdoors and is really just a child's toy and many of the cheaper drones sold are also unstable.

Many countries are cracking down on recreational drone use. I understand in UK will be introducing a 15 GBP per year mandatory register for all drones above a certain weight later this year that even the smallest of the current Mavic drones would be included.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Watching drone footage on YouTube channels they look incredible so I got a cheap one and couldn't get it to do anything apart from zoom around.

Tricky because it seems to get one that can hover and not need an expert pilot, you have to spend a lot - but getting a cheap one is going to put you off.

Is it the Mavik one all the 'Tubers use?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    scootie's a bit of a drone.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    I know nothing about drones, but when want to try a new tech I tend to buy from Amazon. Can't beat no-fault returns within 30 days, just because you didn't like the product.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Apparently they crash a lot:

MoD drone crashed into tree near Aberporth, report reveals - BBC News

Leave a comment:

• mookiemoo
    started a topic Anyone know anything about Drones?

Anyone know anything about Drones?

Him indoors wanted one. We'd agreed to start with a cheap one (goes against all my instincts) to see if he got on with it/ever used it.

So I got him one that seemed ok for Christmas. Was circa £80 but reasonably good previews for the price point. DEcent range - I couldnt see the point of 80m ranges for example.

ProFlight Wraith Action Cam Drone PFBD104 | Drones Direct

Anyway it was a disaster. Bloody thing is virtually uncontrollable. The first time you fly it you have to try to remove the shear in a set up mode by using the joysticks.

The problem is, even in beginner mode, the bloody thing takes off and crashes before you even get a chance to move the joystick at all.

Its been sitting collecting dust - dont blame him. I've also had to live with repeated digs about getting him a PoS when I get the best of everything. Point taken.

He's got a milestone birthday coming up and I'm thinking of getting this:

Buy DJI Mavic Air Fly More Drone Combo - Onyx Black | Drones | Argos

other than DJI get really good reviews I know nothing about drones. I'm just hoping its easier to fly.

Does anyone know if it is?

Working...
X