• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Increasing height of garage ceiling."

Collapse

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    consult an architect I'd say, or at least a recommended builder. Altering a roof is a risky business and needs expert assessment. However, creating an A truss from a triangle truss might be your best option.
    I might have to or an engineer to do the calculations.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    It won't improve your golf. You need to get out there on the course. If three hours playing a week doesn't work, neither will 20 hours.
    I disagree, but thank you for your opinion.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    It won't improve your golf. You need to get out there on the course. If three hours playing a week doesn't work, neither will 20 hours.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    It's a pitched roof. I want to avoid raising the height of the garage. So it needs to be an internal change.
    consult an architect I'd say, or at least a recommended builder. Altering a roof is a risky business and needs expert assessment. However, creating an A truss from a triangle truss might be your best option.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Is it a single or double garage?
    How many trusses are there supporting the roof?
    What is the pitch of the trusses?
    If you didn't play golf in high heels, would you still need the extra height?

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Sounds like you could lower the floor by installing a pit.

Always useful when changing the oil.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Any ideas or direction would help.
    How about just focusing on the 19th hole.. ..?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Carry on...
    yes it was.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Of course, I've done that already, but I was getting rain in my champagne flute and the taste was horrendous.

Anyway, I've kicked the house keeper out of the Garage and I want to convert it for my pleasure.
    Carry on...

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    You're a contractor, FFS.

Nominate a parcel of your acreage and build your own course.
    Of course, I've done that already, but I was getting rain in my champagne flute and the taste was horrendous.

Anyway, I've kicked the house keeper out of the Garage and I want to convert it for my pleasure.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    You're a contractor, FFS.

Nominate a parcel of your acreage and build your own course.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Is it currently flat or pitched roof? If flat, just replace with an A frame pitched. If pitched, remove in bits, put another few courses of bricks in and replace as it was. They're the cheap options.

Garage door, not much weight so just drop suitably sized battens from new ceiling. Simples.
    It's a pitched roof. I want to avoid raising the height of the garage. So it needs to be an internal change.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Sounds like an expensive faff. Can't you just get a new hobby like stamp collecting or something?
    Unfortunately, I'm now obsessed with becoming half decent at golf - im pretty bad. But its a 25 mins drive to the range and fairly expensive. Plus I quite fancy having a man cave.
    Last edited by woohoo; 9 August 2019, 21:23.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
    Lower the floor
    Does that mean i have some kind of step down to the garage, will that stop me using it in the future as a garage for a car (I'm thinking if I sell the house).

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Is it currently flat or pitched roof? If flat, just replace with an A frame pitched. If pitched, remove in bits, put another few courses of bricks in and replace as it was. They're the cheap options.

Garage door, not much weight so just drop suitably sized battens from new ceiling. Simples.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X