• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Developer looking at a Tester contract"

Collapse

• siphr
    replied
    Life experience spans beyond the criteria of just pay or the greatness of a developer or a tester. Everybody's situation is different and such is my case. I think my question was fairly objective and self sufficient. I believe it has been answered very well by people mature enough to accommodate that thought.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    I'd gladly pay a good tester more than a good developer.
    That way you’ll know its tulip before you go live

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I'm a coder. My best paid gig was testing.
    What's a 'coder'?

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    You obviously don't know a whole lot about delivering software.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I'm a coder. My best paid gig was testing.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Testers are just running scripts written by someone else.
    Not my experience, we had to devise the tests.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    In my experience, yes.
    Test managers are a different matter. Testers are just running scripts written by someone else.
    Ah. Here's where our experience differs, and why we have different experiences. Generally speaking, you're right in that that is how testing is done in a huge number of companies, but that's more to do with the perception of testers being unskilled and the promotion of factory testing by the big consultancies (usually offshore).

Running scripts isn't testing, and the testers I know that get paid as much as or more than devs tend to be test professionals rather than bums on seats - developing their own test tools and frameworks, attending and speaking at conferences and meetups, etc.

Perhaps I phrased it incorrectly; developers don't always get paid more than testers....

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Do they? ;-)

(Even if true, I'm not sure how this would support the statement that a tester is not a very good developer)
    In my experience, yes.
    Test managers are a different matter. Testers are just running scripts written by someone else.

Why would a good dev take a pay cut to become a tester?

That all being said... I've met some very poorly paid (and poorly performing) test managers. they are just testers with enough experience to be promoted beyond their level of competence.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    THIS

Developers get paid more than testers.
    Do they? ;-)

(Even if true, I'm not sure how this would support the statement that a tester is not a very good developer)

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    If you are considering a contract as a tester then you are not a very good developer.
    THIS

Developers get paid more than testers.

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    replied
    If you are considering a contract as a tester then you are not a very good developer.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Can you spot the difference between your situation and the OP's?
    Sorry, you've lost me on that one M.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    OK, it wasn't clear on first reading whether or not you had any testing expereince.

Anyway, to answer the original question properly, you won't know unless you try: the joys of contracting. But your biggest hurdle is the agency, not the client.

Leave a comment:

• siphr
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    I had various alternating roles in testing and development, did not seem to be a problem.

My last contract before I retired was an interesting one doing satellite imaging in VC++, after two boring contracts testing planes and phones.
    Thanks, I think you understood what I was trying to say and thank you for sharing your perspective.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X