• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New laptop, joy of installing software."

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    I suddenly feel the need to cover myself in chocolate!

thanks Guys & Girls.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Wasn't "Ghost" useful for that kind of thing?

Seriously though...

Have you not thought of loading your old laptop disk into a VM and running that on your new laptop until you decide which software you really need?

I've gone down that road, using several VMs to isolate groups of software so if I want to move from PC to laptop and vice versa when WFH or working away for a few months I just copy the VM across. Works well as long as no direct access or fancy drivers are required. Got VMs for iTunes, dev tools, sandbox browsing , and a few others.

As the once great Hunter often said, "works for me"

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I bought a new laptop, surface book 2.

Just building it now...there has to be a better way of getting all the software onto it. Perhaps a program that looks at existing laptop or pc and picks out all the software and gives you a choice of what to install with updates etc.

And why don't microsoft ship it with the latest patches. 3 hours installing updates.
    You'll be wanting to craft a simple Chocolately script for your applications etc.

For windows updates/configuration etc., you should look at BoxStarter (which also uses Chocolately under the hood).

Set these things up and you'll never have to suffer the boredom of re-installing/configuring a Windows box again. Literally, install chocolately on a new box (can be done via a simple URL) then launch your script, go grab a coffee and come back when it's all done!

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    heard good things about this

https://ninite.com/
    Chocolatey is good, too.

That said, I always see it as an opportunity to start fresh anyway.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Seriously though...

Have you not thought of loading your old laptop disk into a VM and running that on your new laptop until you decide which software you really need?
    I’ve kept the old laptop as a backup and still use it for taking notes with a pen.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Laplink that’s a name I’ve not heard for a while. Thanks.

Seriously though...

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    laplink pc mover. I used it when I got my latest laptop.

Worked nicely for most software - except MS Office.
    Laplink that’s a name I’ve not heard for a while. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    laplink pc mover. I used it when I got my latest laptop.

Worked nicely for most software - except MS Office.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Well thank you for that. It’s defo a start.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    started a topic New laptop, joy of installing software.

New laptop, joy of installing software.

I bought a new laptop, surface book 2.

Just building it now...there has to be a better way of getting all the software onto it. Perhaps a program that looks at existing laptop or pc and picks out all the software and gives you a choice of what to install with updates etc.

And why don't microsoft ship it with the latest patches. 3 hours installing updates.
    Last edited by woohoo; 28 July 2018, 08:22.

Working...
X