• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Desktop left out in the rain"

Collapse

• Snarf
    replied
    Probably too late now but are we talking 2.5" drive or 3.5"? SSD or Spinning Platters?

If its a 3.5" Spinning Platter drive you might be in luck - Generally they are air tight so one assumes water tight too so the platters are probably ok.

The only main issue would be the controller being ****ed, which if its wet is likely.

And thats where it being a 3.5" drive comes in... Depending on manufacturer the board can normally be removed. If you can find another drive with the same board you can swap them and retrieve your data - Ive done this once because I shorted a board by being stupid.. though I had two identical drives to hand already - you might not be as lucky getting one that will work.

Leave a comment:

• Mag
    replied
    Sounds like someone forgot they had some BTC stored on a machine they've thrown out...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
    I thought that's how to wireless charge an iphone?
    So 10 minutes for a new phone, increase by 5 minutes for each year old it is?

Leave a comment:

• VillageContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    I know this works. Take out all the small parts, CPU, RAM, HDD, etc and put them in the microwave for about 15 mins to dry out.
    I thought that's how to wireless charge an iphone?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    I know this works. Take out all the small parts, CPU, RAM, HDD, etc and put them in the microwave for about 15 mins to dry out.
    Bollox! RealityHack always said that microwaves should only be used for hamsters: -

https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...ml#post1488728

And even then only during mod initiation ceremonies....

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    How else are you supposed to clean a computer??
    If your PC has been p0rned: -

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    ah, you weren't clear it was only the data that concerned you, sorry.

so do tell, - how did it come to be out in the rain for a week?
    I'm sure i'm not the only one who needs to know
    How else are you supposed to clean a computer??

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
    That's my plan - if the internals of the rest of the PC look ok I might try and salvage it later
    ah, you weren't clear it was only the data that concerned you, sorry.

so do tell, - how did it come to be out in the rain for a week?
    I'm sure i'm not the only one who needs to know

Leave a comment:

• VillageContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Or dampness/corrosion in the PSU. Personally if all that's important is the data on the drive, and if you left it out in the pouring rain for a week, I can't see how the hardware is a major concern, I'd ensure the disk was dried out properly using silica gel/rice and putting it somewhere warm and dry eg. airing cupboard for a few days and then attach it to another PC using a USB enclosure or similar. If the PSU is knackered, it stands a very high chance of blowing up components including the HDD.
    That's my plan - if the internals of the rest of the PC look ok I might try and salvage it later

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

If you dry it out thoroughly, take it apart, dry it, put it back together and let it dry again then your only real worry is the motherboard battery shorting (or any other battery in it) I would have thought?
    Or dampness/corrosion in the PSU. Personally if all that's important is the data on the drive, and if you left it out in the pouring rain for a week, I can't see how the hardware is a major concern, I'd ensure the disk was dried out properly using silica gel/rice and putting it somewhere warm and dry eg. airing cupboard for a few days and then attach it to another PC using a USB enclosure or similar. If the PSU is knackered, it stands a very high chance of blowing up components including the HDD.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Pour rice over the desktop. The rice will attract Chinese people, who can fix it for you.

https://forums.contractoruk.com/tech...ml#post2445597

Leave a comment:

• VillageContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Pack the case with scrunched up newspaper to draw out the water and leave to dry naturally.

Easier to do than getting hold of loads of silica packs, and less cleanup than bunging a load of rice in the case.

The suggestions to deal with the hard drive using a more advanced technique (e.g. sealed in a bag with silica) can still be used.

Though if there's anything that important on the PC surely there's a backup.
    Nope

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Pack the case with scrunched up newspaper to draw out the water and leave to dry naturally.

Easier to do than getting hold of loads of silica packs, and less cleanup than bunging a load of rice in the case.

The suggestions to deal with the hard drive using a more advanced technique (e.g. sealed in a bag with silica) can still be used.

Though if there's anything that important on the PC surely there's a backup.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    It's about size and space, small devices have the components squashed together.
    desktops have lots of air space in them, so warm air drying is a better solution IMMHO
    Sudden thought <yes, i know> stick it the airing cupboard, if you have one

Leave a comment:

Working...
X