• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Broadband Alternative"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Of course if he's using some 3d modelling software it probably won't work well if it all over RDP.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post

Great tech, Oracle dropped it....

Probably because most of that is now handled by virtual software and without all the setting up hassle.

Even M$'s RDP solution is pretty good out of the box. Can close the window without logging off and the session will usually still be running next time you log on so can pick up where you left off.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    If the files are large and you have to open them locally then save them to the client's network then you need to worry as much about the upload speed as the download speed. Many home solutions offer quick download speed but relatively slow upload.

So I'd go with Stek's suggestion and make sure the client hosts the files and you only need to remote access them using remote desktop/VDI style solutions, or even remoting into an office PC based at the client. I've done both in the past and even a PAYG 3g dongle was good enough as the RDP client only sipped data to present the video (compressed by only requiring changes per frame) and keyboard/mouse interaction. If I remember right it used under 100MB per normal 8 hour working day.
    Of course the king of all this were the now discontinued Sun SunRays UTT's (Ultra-Thin Terminals) all that was sent over the wire were the pixel changes, the graphics done on the server in a virtual framebuffer. Worked with VDI too, Windows fine.

Not easy to setup over broadband, effectively you need a dedicated one or just not have any normal access on the existing one.

Used Smartcards, pull it out, fly to USA or any other office in the company using SRSS, smartcard in, session pops up there exactly as you left it....

Great tech, Oracle dropped it....

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    If the files are large and you have to open them locally then save them to the client's network then you need to worry as much about the upload speed as the download speed. Many home solutions offer quick download speed but relatively slow upload.

So I'd go with Stek's suggestion and make sure the client hosts the files and you only need to remote access them using remote desktop/VDI style solutions, or even remoting into an office PC based at the client. I've done both in the past and even a PAYG 3g dongle was good enough as the RDP client only sipped data to present the video (compressed by only requiring changes per frame) and keyboard/mouse interaction. If I remember right it used under 100MB per normal 8 hour working day.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I use satellite broadband in Spain, it's painfully slow, very unreliable and to be avoided at all costs (we have no option unfortunately as we live in a mountain)
    Is the satellite dish outside the cave entrance?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    What sort of solution are you expecting then?

Satellite broadband perhaps?
    I use satellite broadband in Spain, it's painfully slow, very unreliable and to be avoided at all costs (we have no option unfortunately as we live in a mountain)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by bluetoaster View Post
    if the 4g signal is good, what's wrong with MIFI?

If you want more data then three does an unlimited data plan for £28/month. Vodafone 30GB/month for 25 or £50GB for £30.

I can't be arsed looking at other providers.
    Unlimited data plans have a "fair" use requirement.

The problem is "fair" depends on how much other people use....

Leave a comment:

• bluetoaster
    replied
    if the 4g signal is good, what's wrong with MIFI?

If you want more data then three does an unlimited data plan for £28/month. Vodafone 30GB/month for 25 or £50GB for £30.

I can't be arsed looking at other providers.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...php?p=72936363
    https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/...s/td-p/1485579
    https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/...n/td-p/1608705

If you are currently getting 3-5Mb speeds then your issue is possibly related to your Netflix/Xbox/etc streaming while you're working. 3D rendering does not require a lot of bandwidth. The processing is done in the computer, not over broadband. The bit that requires the broadband is opening and saving files. A 1GB file (quite big) would take about 12 minutes. A 100MB files is only going to be a minute... unless you're streaming video, etc at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    He got the same answers that he got here (even the satellite one)
    Did they suggest Steks latest one

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    There's those Draytek routers that can bond two (or more?) broadbands together, if you want it bad enough...

Cost of two lines and two ISP accounts too though...

Or host the modelling computer in a DC and remote in, RDP, VNC or X-Windows....

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Reading this I'm curious what the good answers you got elsewhere were.

Perhaps you could take a USB stick round to a friend's house?
    He got the same answers that he got here (even the satellite one)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

The rent a office/desk could be in a mate's or other relation's house.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Actually I lied BT still do do it - ISDN

So that's 3 options:
    1. Rent office/desk space with broadband
    2. Satellite broadband
    3. ISDN

Leave a comment:

Working...
X