• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Connecting Wired Printer To Wifi"

Collapse

• Acme Thunderer
    replied
    Is it a Sky Hub by any chance? If so they have/had a nasty problem where wireless devices couldn't talk to wired devices and vice versa

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    If your computer is an Apple, you may need a more up to date printer. I recently had to buy my dad a new printer because his Apple device wouldn't print to the approx 6 year old HP printer. The new HP printer is just fine and dandy.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Yeah you may be right - printer is about 7 years old and I was hoping to get a quick win by cabling it up to the router and remote printing this way.

So unless anyone can provide any others ideas to get this working I will have to pop down to PC World.
    1. Plug the printer into the router
    2. Give the printer an IP address - on my printers I tap a few buttons to assign them IP addresses (Google will tell you how to do that for your particular printers.)
    3. Make sure you can ping it or see the printer from the router administration page

If you can't do 2 you don't have a network enabled printer so it's a load of hassle and you should buy a new printer.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    I have managed to do the ping test and one of the results is;

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Erm that doesn't make sense. I'm assuming you've pinged from a laptop. That message implies that your laptop isn't connected via a wired connection.

I presume you have network link lights etc on the printer?

If you are going to go for a cheap and nasty replacement, I've been quite shocked by how good the HP Envy 4250 was for the money. They have or at least had loads of them in Tesco.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Is it a special printer? Laser or something? If not just go buy a new printer that's WiFi enabled for peanuts and save yourself some time.
    Yeah you may be right - printer is about 7 years old and I was hoping to get a quick win by cabling it up to the router and remote printing this way.

So unless anyone can provide any others ideas to get this working I will have to pop down to PC World.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Is it a special printer? Laser or something? If not just go buy a new printer that's WiFi enabled for peanuts and save yourself some time.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Can you ping it?
    I have managed to do the ping test and one of the results is;

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Does it have a Wireless Direct option or no wireless capability at all?
    It has no wireless capability at all, so just trying to connect using a network cable

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Nope that should be it. I presume you're using the same IP space across wired and wireless?
    Yes, it is all home based routing through the single wireless hub/router, which the printer is plugged into.

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Can you ping it?
    See next post
    Last edited by kaiser78; 15 May 2017, 11:26.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Can you ping it?

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    I am after some help please - I want to connect my wired printer to my wireless hub to be able to print wirelessly from our devices.

I have connected the LAN cable between the printer and hub and thought this should then be enabled. Are the any printer settings I should also be changing, such as ports etc to get this working ?
    Nope that should be it. I presume you're using the same IP space across wired and wireless?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Does it have a Wireless Direct option or no wireless capability at all?

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    started a topic Connecting Wired Printer To Wifi

Connecting Wired Printer To Wifi

I am after some help please - I want to connect my wired printer to my wireless hub to be able to print wirelessly from our devices.

I have connected the LAN cable between the printer and hub and thought this should then be enabled. Are the any printer settings I should also be changing, such as ports etc to get this working ?

Working...
X