• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Plumbing Question..."

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Anyway, woman came to check water meter reading and said there's some water usage, despite all water-using stuff being quiescent, get it checked. Never bothered.
    I would if I were you. I had a serious leak in the main supply pipe to kitchen last year. Fortunately I noticed it early on, let that continue and you can get subsidence.

PS If the leak is under a wall as mine was I should add.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 30 September 2015, 22:06.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Sound plausible that.

The noise is only like 10 secs, but the time I've got to the water meter, turned the torch on and shifted the crap in front if it it's over!

I'll prolly get a plumber in....
    Rig up a cheap IR video camera to watch and record it

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    As SAL mentioned if the electric shower detects a water pressure drop it turns the integral heater off to avoid turning the shower occupant into a Lobster. Electric showers do need a good water pressure and flow rate.

What is the minimum water pressure and flow rate required for Triton Electric Showers?
    The minimum water pressure required depends upon the model and its kilowatt rating.
    Some units will continue to operate at a reduced flow performance on a minimum running pressure/flow of 0.5bar at 8 litres per minute. However for full flow performance from all electric showers the following pressure and flow is required.
    7kW to 8.5kW showers require a minimum running pressure of 1 bar at a minimum flow rate of 8 litres per minute
    9kW and 9.5kW showers require a minimum running pressure of 1 bar at a minimum flow rate of 9 litres per minute
    10.5 kW showers require a minimum running water pressure of 1.5 bar at a minimum flow rate of 11 litres per minute

so a 9kw shower would need all of the minimum your water supplier is required to supply (1Bar & 9 litres). If you turn anything else on then it dipd below its minimum ratings and will switch off the heater.

I would expect them to be fed from mains water. You would need the tank 10 metres above the shower to get 1 bar.

Bathrooms - Understanding Water Pressures and Bar Ratings from Midland Bathroom Distributors

Water Pressure and Water Flow - What is the difference

I suspect you either have low mains pressure & flow rate + a large shower so that when you draw water at the same time as the shower (by the header tank normally in the loft refilling from the mains) then it has insufficient to keep the shower happy. If you have a 10.5KW shower replacing it with a lower rated one might be enough.

Or the shower is attached to the header tank.

You can get a shower with an integral pump which will help and run from the header tank or if you have a nice big hot water tank a pump assisted shower allowing you to use solar or wood burner heated water.

You can complain to the water supplier if you believe you have low pressure but my understanding this isn't normally very fruitful.

If you want high pressure throughout the house and can't get it from your water supplier you can go for a pressurised system but that will cost a few grand.

I think its worth talking it over with a plumber.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    You need to know where each shower, tap, loo, etc. gets its feed. Isolate the main water supply (often is a tap under the kitchen sink) - anything that still works is fed from the cold storage tank.

If the shower is fed from the main supply then it shouldn't really be affected by demands on the tank.

If the shower is fed from the tank then obviously (duh!) the tank will be filling while in use.

Good luck with explaining that though.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by RSoles View Post
    Something stuffed in the central heating ( maybe sludge, maybe the pump set too high) causing it to pump out the overflow into its expansion tank?

I have this happen sometimes because I have two pumps in my ch circuit (for oil and woodburner) and haven't got around to interlocking them.

Or just a slow leak somewhere, have you checked the meter while you can hear the noise?
    Sound plausible that.

The noise is only like 10 secs, but the time I've got to the water meter, turned the torch on and shifted the crap in front if it it's over!

I'll prolly get a plumber in....

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    I'm a bit confused what are you asking here, why the shower goes cold when flushing+tap running or what can be the source of the strange noise. If it's the former it most likely the shower sensing drop in the water pressure and turning off the heating element as a safeguard.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigD
    replied
    Don't know about you're suspected leaking, but maybe worth getting a thermostatic shower. Should sense any change in input water temperature and adjust the mix to keep the output temp constant.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    ...water goes cold, causes the mrs to have a dicky fit
    Ditch the old boiler.

HTH BIDI

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    Something stuffed in the central heating ( maybe sludge, maybe the pump set too high) causing it to pump out the overflow into its expansion tank?

I have this happen sometimes because I have two pumps in my ch circuit (for oil and woodburner) and haven't got around to interlocking them.

Or just a slow leak somewhere, have you checked the meter while you can hear the noise?

Leave a comment:

• darrylmg
    replied
    Tinnitus?

You live in a detached house or shared living accommodation or what?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    started a topic Plumbing Question...

Plumbing Question...

Three Q's from me today!!

This one is odd, first;

In this house we have an issue where if you turn tap on, flush the loo, anything that involved water flow, the shower (electric one - one of three showers we have) water goes cold, causes the mrs to have a dicky fit. Other shower is normal hot water tank pumped, seems unaffected, other other shower is a daft cold water only one which is stupid.

Anyway, woman came to check water meter reading and said there's some water usage, despite all water-using stuff being quiescent, get it checked. Never bothered.

Lately, noticed a water-tank-filling-up noise ever so often, causing said mrs in said shower to get said well-annoyed accusing all and sundry of turning a tap on or flushing a loo, against all instructions.

And I can hear it doing it.

However today I checked water meter - stationary, no water being used, checked all loos, taps, garden pipe, all fine.

But even so often I hear that filling up noise!!!

Ideas?

Working...
X