• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mains power point wiring, and associated cable cladding/tubing"

Collapse

• Archangel
    replied
    Lubricant helps too

Ideal Yellow 77 Wire & Cable Pulling Lubricant 950ml | Electrical Conduit | Screwfix.com

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    Another vote for getting the electrician to do it.

However, if you do go for laying the conduit yourself, lay a string down inside it first.
    - Much easier to pull a cable through than to push it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Can you not get your chosen electrician to consult/advise "how should I set things up for you?"

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The other thing is that cable sold by Homebase had to be recalled coz it was made in China.

Make what you will of that.

faulty, non compliant cable
    This has the hallmarks of a beancounter trying to recycle stock that should be written off.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    And therein is the reason you get an electrician in...

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    The cables linked to in previous posts are not suitable for running through 20mm conduit. Cable running through conduit does not need the outer sheath. If you run double sheathed cable through conduit you need to derate the current carrying capacity.

The cable is usually called "singles" and is just the conductor and a single sheath. So you would run 3 cables per run, a live (brown), a neutral (blue) and an earth (green/yellow). The earth would not need to be 2.5mm, 1.5mm would suffice.

Cable | Cable & Cable Management | Screwfix.com

Leave a comment:

• Fandango
    replied
    Toolstation is cheaper than SF and free next day delivery over £10
    Twin & Earth Cable (6242Y) Grey 2.5mm2 x 50m -

A word of caution you are never going to be able to push T&E cable around and sort of corner through conduit, unless you can find some large sweeping radius'

what'd you'd spend on conduit you'd be better chasing the runs required out of the wall and paying a plasterer £140/day to re skim over it once its done

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    +1 for Screwfix, efficient click-n-collect if you have a local trade counter. Some of their kit is bargain basement but it's the same stuff that you'd pay full retail at a B&Q or Homebase.

Go with the cable size your electrician recommends 2.5mm is easier to work with though, IMHO it would be better to run multiple rings on separate mcbs rather than resort to 4mm.

Your electrician is going to need these too:
    Cable & Flex Draw Tape | Cable Access | Screwfix.com
    Plastic Conduit & Acc | Electrical Conduit | Screwfix.com

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The other thing is that cable sold by Homebase had to be recalled coz it was made in China.

Make what you will of that.

faulty, non compliant cable

Screwfix are owned by B&Q, so might be worth checking out the quality of their stuff too.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Prysmian 6242Y Twin & Earth Cable 2.5mm² x 50m Grey | Cable | Screwfix.com
    Tower Conduit Heavy Gauge 20mm x 2m White (40m) Pack of 20 | Plastic Conduit & Acc | Screwfix.com

Not the cheapest, nor the best, but does the job.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Many thanks for the prompt replies guys.

I spent quite a while searching for conduits, but there is such a bewildering variety, and not all in the UK, I'm unsure what to buy, especially as some may not meet the right UK standards, if they are not intended for mains cables for example or only for lower US voltages.

So assuming I go with 4mm cables, despite possibly upsetting the electrician, can you suggest a specific conduit manufacturer and model, either metal or plastic?

A link to a UK supplier would be great.

Not bothered about the price, as I imagine they aren't very expensive anyway.

TIA

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Get an electrician to do it. It's not gonna cost much and getting it wrong will be a very expensive mistake. The pennies you save just isn't worth the risk.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    The "tube" is called conduit.

2.5mm sq cable will cover as many sockets as you can fit in an area < 100m sq if wired in a ring. 4mm sq cable would serve a large radial circuit but is difficult to work with and you would be unpopular with an electrician.

The usual way to wire a room with a concrete floor is not to run the cables in conduit, but to run the cables down the walls in protective sleeves from the ceiling void. Cables can be run horizontally between sockets either clipped direct to the walls or buried in the walls in protective sleeves.

If you are using floor sockets please ignore the previous paragraph.

If you use a professional electrician he is unlikely to be happy using cable you have laid as it is his name on the certificate.

If you are not in the eu then all bets are off.

Leave a comment:

• Mains power point wiring, and associated cable cladding/tubing

I am concreting the floor of a large room, but will also need to have power points fitted round the edge of this room.

Apparently the standard technique is to lay plastic tubes round the edge of the room before the concreting so the power cables can later be pushed through these.

I'll probably hire a professional electrician to do the actual wiring; but as I am doing the concreting myself, I'd like to lay these tubes beforehand.

(for speed-readers here come the actual questions ..)

To buy these tubes, what should I be web-searching for, i.e. their name and perhaps brand if any particular brand is notably better than others?

Also, if I buy the cables what, um, Ampage should they be? (I don't mind spending a bit more for a margin of safety, e.g. 100 Amps if only 50 Amps is needed.)

Many TIA

Working...
X