• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: BT Home Hub 5

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BT Home Hub 5"

Collapse

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Normie View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but thought it may be useful to update:

Yesterday I bought a TP-Link TD-9880 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for £48 from Currys. A quick 5 minute install and all is good again in the home network - WiFi range and stability much better than the HH5.

No problems with YouView, etc.
    I've just bought one of these and seeing this confirmed my other research. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    For myself the other motivation for dumping the BT home hub other than stability is ease of configuration. It's like they want to discourage people from messing with the config by making it as obtuse as possible.

Shame BT no longer ship the OpenReach modem as an option, but you can buy high-speed DSL modems online if you don't want to run your Airport or other wifi kit in bridge mode.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by rajp View Post
    Do you have to switch networks when you go from one side of the house to other?? I assume it will automatically switch when it can no longer access the SSID that you were connected to?

Automatic switching

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I've got three Apple Airports on BT Fibre, I just set one up, extended the wireless network with the other two and left it. One next to the modem, one upstairs and one 30 odd feet away in the shed which is a super shed 15' x 15' where I keep my home DC!

I just 'works'.

Leave a comment:

• rajp
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I have mine set to separate SSIDs, some of my WiFi networks are password-protected and some are open.
    Do you have to switch networks when you go from one side of the house to other?? I assume it will automatically switch when it can no longer access the SSID that you were connected to?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Fandango View Post
    Can I ask a question, I've got a HH3 and recently added a BT poweline wifi extender to give us better coverage on the other side of the house

So for those people running multiple APs around the house do you have them all with the same SSID as the HH3 or different so you know which AP you're connecting to or do you have it the same so it seems to be single seamless connection all over the house?

If they are the same SSID are you saying configure each AP to be on a different channel?

All I've currently done is link the BT powerline Wifi AP to the HH3 using the WPS function which has automatically configured it. However the speed we're getting from it doesn't appear to be brilliant so I'm wondering if there's a better way to configure it?

Ta

I have mine set to separate SSIDs, some of my WiFi networks are password-protected and some are open.

Leave a comment:

• Fandango
    replied
    Can I ask a question, I've got a HH3 and recently added a BT poweline wifi extender to give us better coverage on the other side of the house

So for those people running multiple APs around the house do you have them all with the same SSID as the HH3 or different so you know which AP you're connecting to or do you have it the same so it seems to be single seamless connection all over the house?

If they are the same SSID are you saying configure each AP to be on a different channel?

All I've currently done is link the BT powerline Wifi AP to the HH3 using the WPS function which has automatically configured it. However the speed we're getting from it doesn't appear to be brilliant so I'm wondering if there's a better way to configure it?

Ta

Leave a comment:

• rajp
    replied
    No additional cabling was necessary
    Nice. In my case found that the wifi part of the HH5 was poor part that it required a restart every 2 weeks. Since installing the AP, not restarted it for 3 months and is rock solid. Fits my requirements.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    No additional cabling was necessary

Leave a comment:

• rajp
    replied
    It's not about wifi speed. Not all devices connect wirelessly - as you have shown with your list.

If the solution is what you want and you are clearly happy with what you've been sold, then great. That doesn't make it a panacea.

E.g. In our living room we have a TV, playbar (Which has a thru port) & media server all requiring cabling to the network, along with one network cable.
    Easiest solution... £3 for a wireless router on eBay, that gives me 3 ports plus an additional wireless network in the house.
    Weather station on the roof? £2 wireless router on eBay, give full coverage down the back garden and into the sheds/greenhouse.
    Then the one in the office was free and it's connected to the server, printer and currently the ClientCo laptop.

Total cost £5. Gives me 9 ports, network coverage through the house and garden.
    In your case, did you have to run the cable from your main office to the TV point?? or are the additional routers connected to the master thru wifi??

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    It's not about wifi speed. Not all devices connect wirelessly - as you have shown with your list.

If the solution is what you want and you are clearly happy with what you've been sold, then great. That doesn't make it a panacea.

E.g. In our living room we have a TV, playbar (Which has a thru port) & media server all requiring cabling to the network, along with one network cable.
    Easiest solution... £3 for a wireless router on eBay, that gives me 3 ports plus an additional wireless network in the house.
    Weather station on the roof? £2 wireless router on eBay, give full coverage down the back garden and into the sheds/greenhouse.
    Then the one in the office was free and it's connected to the server, printer and currently the ClientCo laptop.

Total cost £5. Gives me 9 ports, network coverage through the house and garden.

Leave a comment:

• rajp
    replied
    What about your Linksys - you left that out of your costs?

And you might not see them as drawbacks, but you've left out your lack of ports, the additional power supplies required and the additional cable runs.
    Can't include the router in that as that was already part of my setup.. catering for the PC, NAS, Fibaro Home Automation Server, Dell PowerEdge Server, CCTV DVR, Printer etc in the office..

The lack of additional ports in the destination, I am not concerned about as I don't need them. The WIFI speed is fast enough for my requirements.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    What about your Linksys - you left that out of your costs?

And you might not see them as drawbacks, but you've left out your lack of ports, the additional power supplies required and the additional cable runs.

Leave a comment:

• rajp
    replied
    Cost Benefit Analysis.
    Review the amount spent, including time and effort. Then list down the benefits and drawbacks of the implementation
    The aim was to get wifi signal to the rest of the property.. could have chosen other methods.. using powerline adaptors etc..

In this instance, the cost is £79 for the AP.. the install time was 5 mins..

the benefits are solid and stable WIFI signal.. ability to add more APs and get them all to work in proper handshake and handover mode so you can venture from one part of the house to other and not have to relogin.

drawbacks?? It is just the cost at £79 each, it is more expensive then adding more routers.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Cost Benefit Analysis.
    Review the amount spent, including time and effort. Then list down the benefits and drawbacks of the implementation

Leave a comment:

Working...
X