• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BT Home Hub 5

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT Home Hub 5

Moving to BT from Virgin, old place I had the Virgin SuperHub as a modem only connected to an AirPort Extreme, reading various sites the HH5 doesn't allow a modem only mode.

What is the HH5 like? Should I stick with it or try and get the AirPort Extreme running somehow (and thus avoid having to reconfigure everything else that is attached to it?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Moving to BT from Virgin, old place I had the Virgin SuperHub as a modem only connected to an AirPort Extreme, reading various sites the HH5 doesn't allow a modem only mode.

What is the HH5 like? Should I stick with it or try and get the AirPort Extreme running somehow (and thus avoid having to reconfigure everything else that is attached to it?
    I have BT Infinity, cobbed the HH3 (as was current at the time I joined) and used Apple Airport Extreme(s). As with all things Apple, easy and works.

The HH also stops you using 10.x.x.x private network cos it's uses in BT-FON and creates a bit of a cell to share out a bit of your network in a grid. Naughty.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      I have BT Infinity, cobbed the HH3 (as was current at the time I joined) and used Apple Airport Extreme(s). As with all things Apple, easy and works.

The HH also stops you using 10.x.x.x private network cos it's uses in BT-FON and creates a bit of a cell to share out a bit of your network in a grid. Naughty.
      Everything I have is on a 10.x.x.x subnet, will have to have a play

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

From memory the HH will only let you use 192.168.x.x or 172.16.x.x - still keeps the 10.x.x.x from you even though you say no to BT-FON...

I had all 10.x.x.x before that, now i'm stuck with 192.168.x.x - which I hate for some reason!

Comment

From memory the HH will only let you use 192.168.x.x or 172.16.x.x - still keeps the 10.x.x.x from you even though you say no to BT-FON...

I had all 10.x.x.x before that, now i'm stuck with 192.168.x.x - which I hate for some reason!
          I am hoping I can turn of DHCP on the HH, and use that as a modem only (albeit without an actual modem only mode) and let the Airport Extreme handle everything else

Comment

I am hoping I can turn of DHCP on the HH, and use that as a modem only (albeit without an actual modem only mode) and let the Airport Extreme handle everything else
            Can't do that - use the BT Openreach box as a modem, then the AE as the router, no point in having the HH really, you do get the BT modem AND a HH unless they've combined the two nowadays.....

Comment

You can do that, I have done it in the past with HH3 and HH5 and AirPort Time capsule (which is Extreme+HDD). You can stop the WiFi on the HH and connect one of the LAN ports to the WAN port of the AirPort. On the AP WAN you will have either static 192.168.X.X or get it from the HH DHCP, then let the AP DHCP roll assign 10.x.x.x to your devices that will have to be wired to the AP not HH or getting WiFi from AP. You will have to disable the pass-through or w/e it's called on AP where it passes on the up stream router DHCP etc. to the devices attached to the AP

The pain is if you need port forwarding you will have to set them on both the HH and AP so HH-WAN > AP-WAN > AP-LAN

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                You can do that, I have done it in the past with HH3 and HH5 and AirPort Time capsule (which is Extreme+HDD). You can stop the WiFi on the HH and connect one of the LAN ports to the WAN port of the AirPort. On the AP WAN you will have either static 192.168.X.X or get it from the HH DHCP, then let the AP DHCP roll assign 10.x.x.x to your devices that will have to be wired to the AP not HH or getting WiFi from AP. You will have to disable the pass-through or w/e it's called on AP where it passes on the up stream router DHCP etc. to the devices attached to the AP

The pain is if you need port forwarding you will have to set them on both the HH and AP so HH-WAN > AP-WAN > AP-LAN
                Furry Muff but what's the point in keeping the HH? More ports?

Comment

Furry Muff but what's the point in keeping the HH? More ports?

The modem is built-in to the HH5. In my experience the HH5 has been a awful - I get lots of WiFi drops out, poor speed and range, ...... I may resurrect my old broadband router and use it to the serve the WiFi. A job for tonight I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Normie View Post
                    The modem is built-in to the HH5. In my experience the HH5 has been a awful - I get lots of WiFi drops out, poor speed and range, ...... I may resurrect my old broadband router and use it to the serve the WiFi. A job for tonight I think.
                    That's why I binned the HH3 when I first got Infinity. Wifi dropouts causing countless calls to the Helpdesk (me) from the users (the kids).

Comment

Working...
                    X