• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Retrogaming

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Retrogaming"

Collapse

• Mattski
    replied
    God.

I could ramble on about this for hours, so I'll keep it short:

- C64! SID chip still sounds awesome today (check out Nectarine Demoscene radio for some "bangin' choons".)
    - Amiga - absolutely legendary machine. Multitasking was fantastic enough, but Gunship 2000 on an AGA A1200 blew my nuts off.
    - Acorn Archimedes - had a fantastic port of Lemmings and Lander (precursor to Virus?) was stunning at the time. The platform never really picked up enough steam to keep going though - damned shame.

If you're more of an arcade dweller, then you'll want to at least swivel your eyeballs at these guys. The Heart Of Gaming

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    What you really need is one of these!

Picade Console - Pimoroni

Or...

Picade - Pimoroni
    Being a contractor with cash

Clarkcade

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    What you really need is one of these!

Picade Console - Pimoroni

Or...

Picade - Pimoroni

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Wish I had kept a few of the old mags, just for chuckles. My dad and I had loads lying around.
    I've got a fair few copies of PCW back to the late 1970s (I think issue 3 from 1978 is the earliest - review of the brand new TRS-80 in it) and of Byte from the early 80s on, along with some Your Computer, some BBC Micro User and Acorn User, and assorted other odds and sods from the 80s; and a number of copies of things like DDJ, Exe, and Software Development from the mid 90s to early 00s.

Also got quite a few of PC Pro from the mid 90s to early 00s, but I'm thinking of getting rid of those - they're extremely bulky, and almost all there is in there is just reviews of a parade of PC clones and articles on migrating to Exchange Server or suchlike gubbins. The programming columns often had some good algorithmic stuff in them, but I can't really justify the storage space for three pages out of a 500 page magazine which don't contain anything I couldn't find in ten seconds with Google. And most of those 500 pages are just adverts for said clones.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    Unbreakable, but is it cat proof ?
    Mine is toddler proof, but I got the one without the trackball.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Looking at those magazine archives makes me want to read the old magazines again.

Makes you recall the pleasure of opening a new issue.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Wish I had kept a few of the old mags, just for chuckles. My dad and I had loads lying around.
    Some great games on the cover tapes. Better than some of the tulip I coughed up my pocket money for.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    A good few issues of Your Computer, along with many other old mags, are available at the Internet Archive: The Computer Magazine Archives

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Unbreakable, but is it cat proof ?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I contributed code to the BBC Model 'B' DFS
    Nice!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    BBC Model B: the original home of Elite
    I contributed code to the BBC Model 'B' DFS

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Would love to buy a genuine Missile Command arcade machine. that is one game that cannot be emulated properly because of the controls.
    Or you could just get one of these:

X-Arcade Tankstick Unbreakable Arcade Stick, Relive Arcade Classics. | Xgaming X-Arcade

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Would love to buy a genuine Missile Command arcade machine. that is one game that cannot be emulated properly because of the controls.
    World's most depressing game.

I remember the ball was quite heavy in the hand. Like the weight of a snooker ball.
    Last edited by unixman; 26 August 2015, 08:41.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Some home computer manuals are available in PDF. Eg the programming guide that came with the Dragon 32 is here. It was an excellent book, one of the best things about the machine.

BASIC Manual

You can also read reviews of various systems from Your Computer, entire issues of which are available on line (forget URL).
    A good few issues of Your Computer, along with many other old mags, are available at the Internet Archive: The Computer Magazine Archives

Leave a comment:

Working...
X