• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "wine & beer making kits"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    I was looking at this kit, seems a bit different having two drums, and like you get more for your cash, but whether it's better I have no idea (and miss being able to read reviews!):

Equipment Only Starter Kit 5 Gallons - Beer Kit

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I noticed you can buy swing-top lids separately, to retro-fit to (I think) any regular bottle.

Um, no. Those are to replace missing/broken swing tops. You can't retro-fit to ordinary bottles without drilling into the neck first, one hole directly opposite another one, but only about half way through the glass.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I noticed you can buy swing-top lids separately, to retro-fit to (I think) any regular bottle. That could be another option, there's definitely something nice about them although I don't know if they keep fresh as long as crimped caps.

Since the eye gives the first taste, this kind of thing could make your beer seem nice even if it's not so great

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    If you are going for sparkling wine (or like your beer in bigger bottles), then M&S do cloudy lemonade (and stuff like that) in 750ml or 1l swing tops, and frequently have them on offer at 2 for £3.
    I've got 4 bottles of last year's cider in them, and will be bottling up 10l of elderflower champagne this weekend. Once I've got space in my brew room then I'll be doing this year's wine - the grapes are looking good and should be ready in the next 2 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    We have a Wilko locally, maybe I'll take a wander down

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Ta.

I'm trying to decide whether to get a pressurised drum, or store it in bottles. If the latter, I'd like to use glass bottles - either regular caps or the Grolsch-style ones. But looking online, it appears that glass bottles cost £1-2 each which is basically how much they cost when they're full of beer!

Can one just whack a load of used 500ml glass bottles in the dishwasher? Come to think of it, I think that's what we did when making wine (seem to recall I also cooked them in the oven to sterilise).

Then I can drink the beer in the bottles while brewing the beer to replace it with

Yes, buy some beer just for the bottles for the home brew. Normally people who do home brew have plenty of bottles first & then decide "I'll make use of these bottles & it's cheaper". Also available from Wilko. Wilko Swing Top Bottles 6 x 500ml at wilko.com or Wilko Pressure Barrel 23L/40 Pints at wilko.com

Never bothered with dishwasher, just wash them in soapy water, rinse. Then rewash in water with steriliser. Again available from all good Wilko stores. Wilko Cleaner And Steriliser 100g at wilko.com

Got the hint about Wilko yet?

However, just read the review comments for the pressure vessel "regardless of how much Vaseline you put on it". Hmm, your choice on that one.
    Last edited by anonymouse; 9 August 2015, 17:56.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Ta.

I'm trying to decide whether to get a pressurised drum, or store it in bottles. If the latter, I'd like to use glass bottles - either regular caps or the Grolsch-style ones. But looking online, it appears that glass bottles cost £1-2 each which is basically how much they cost when they're full of beer!

Can one just whack a load of used 500ml glass bottles in the dishwasher? Come to think of it, I think that's what we did when making wine (seem to recall I also cooked them in the oven to sterilise).

Then I can drink the beer in the bottles while brewing the beer to replace it with

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    I did a few brews years ago, and the kit was the same (for cider & wine). The only difference was what was it the brew tin.

What you are referring to are straining bags, see link. But I never needed them, just big buckets. straining bags | The Home Brew Shop

Just picked up the basic kit & brew kit from here, then follow the instructions. Beer & Cider Making Kits | Kitchenware | wilko.com
    Last edited by anonymouse; 9 August 2015, 17:30.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm finally getting my first beer home-brew kit sorted. I was going to go for an all-in-one starter kit as I don't know what I need, but the kits look very similar indeed to the wine-making kit we were given as a gift... syphon, hydrometer, etc. Is there any reason those things would be different or can I get away with just buying a bigger fermentation vessel and stuff to store the beer in and using what I've got?

Also - I'm sure I saw someone doing home brew with some sort of cloth bag (looked like a long sock) for fermenting but all the kits I see use big plastic buckets. Is this way common and what is the bag called, so I can look around for one?

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Anyone tried making mead ?

I know a local beekeeper and their honey is great, but unfortunately their attempts at mead have been rank so far

There must be some gotcha he hasn't worked out yet

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Many thanks for the links everyone, especially cojak!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I've got the Kindle version of this book:

Booze for Free: Amazon.co.uk: Andy Hamilton: 9781905811700: Books

But the homebrew bible you can probably get from charity & second hand shops is First Steps in Winemaking: Amazon.co.uk: C. J. J. Berry: 9781854861399: Books

A good, old-fashioned book whose advice still applies and recipes that will give you stronger wines than is the vogue these days. Mine's falling to bits.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    And here are some calculators...

Wine Making Calculators and factsheets

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    And here's a homebrew forum that I'm in.

The Brewing Forum • Index page

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Ah, right.

Here are a couple of really good sites, I'll find more later.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter3-4.html

http://www.farminmypocket.co.uk/category/home-brewing

Leave a comment:

Working...
X