• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Where's my free W10 upgrade option?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    And, I thought, allowing them to automatically download several Gb - even if I get to choose when to install it?

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It appeared on my desktop now. I'm just a bit scared to click it.
    Why?

By clicking 'it' you're just registering your interest for Win 10 and providing an email address...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It appeared on my desktop now. I'm just a bit scared to click it.

Plus my desktop is 6 years old and really I should replace it... but since putting in an SSD it's now plenty quick enough and the quad-core CPU is still pretty handy.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    A sort of endless beta...........
    Same experience as for everybody else, only they've actually asked for it...

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    I am as confused as everyone else.
    I am building a second PC now (a HTPC ) and would like to install W10 on it straight away.
    I think I am eligible as I was on Windows Insider program, do I have to wait until the 29th or can I install sooner and 'update' to RTM when release?
    AIUI, Windows Insider folks won't get the full version proper, just rolling updates to what they have already as long as they stay in the program. A sort of endless beta...........

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Windows icon had not appeared on said second laptop.

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    I am as confused as everyone else.
    I am building a second PC now (a HTPC ) and would like to install W10 on it straight away.
    I think I am eligible as I was on Windows Insider program, do I have to wait until the 29th or can I install sooner and 'update' to RTM when release?

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    Available 29 July, for those not already on Win 10 technical preview

When is the Windows 10 free upgrade released? - Telegraph

Same deal may also available for XP and Vista.

http://www.ibtimes.com.au/windows-10...ipants-1452800
    Last edited by anonymouse; 23 June 2015, 18:59.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Actually I was going to start a thread on this, I have an old IBM thinkpad that I use as a backup laptop ( remote desktop to my main PC really ) , it was 32 bit windows with 2 gig so I dropped in another 2gig and installed 64 bit windows 8 pro 3 weeks ago, upgraded to 8.1 fine.

No sign of the icon.

My main laptop is win 8.1 home and I was wanting to upgrade to pro before the 10 upgrade so I could turn on bitlocker but I'm now holding back as I have not seen the icon on the IBM.

Main laptop had the icon so did my desktop.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    If it's W7 Enterprise edition then you won't get it.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Got mine and it's Windows 7. Maybe 'cos I just installed it on a new PC.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    They're going to do it for a year, but something I read said that they were checking compatibility of the components / drivers with W10 before the thing would pop-up.

So my Windows 8.1 laptop has offered it, my Windows 7 desktop hasn't yet.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic Where's my free W10 upgrade option?

Where's my free W10 upgrade option?

Having finally resolved my Windows Update issues it's now updated and happy again.

I was expecting to see a "register for free Windows 10" icon but no such luck. I don't want to be forced to upgrade right away but would like a free copy for my W7 desktop... is there a manual option to go and sign up?

Working...
X