• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Linux vs OSX

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Linux vs OSX"

Collapse

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Scripting is king for repetitive tasks and you can build in error reporting so that you are only dealing with the exceptions.
    Yeah. I've got a plural sight course queued up when I get time to kick start me into being remotely competent. It's not essential (only because there is normally someone else who can do a decent job), but it's definitely a weak point for me.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I can be much more productive using a CLI having several terminals open doing many different tasks, vi for scripting and editing.
    This.

Though I do have a couple of editors (one set up for text, the other for code) which I also use when I feel they are more suitable for the job.

A real demonstration of the weakness of point and click came several years ago when I was roped in by a Windows admin to help set up the network for a dozen PCs. He and his colleague were doing it all by point and click and it was taking an age. I would have preprepared a script for that little lot and it would have taken a fraction of the time to execute.

Scripting is king for repetitive tasks and you can build in error reporting so that you are only dealing with the exceptions.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo View Post
    Hi SO, don't really understand what you mean by that, care to be a bit more explicit ?

Boo
    CLI isn't burdened by the limitations of the GUI, so it can be really powerful - or at least offer equivalent power at much lower expense in terms of effort required. One just needs to learn how to use their tool properly.

Can you imagine Git operations fully implemented in a GUI? !!!

I like GUIs - i'm not stereotypical unix guru who likes to code in VI even though there are proper tools, with enormous productivity gains, for the job these days. But in the year 2015, a 100%, or even close to 100%, GUI driven OS would be the the etch-a-sketch equivalent of a proper set of paint brushes & paints.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    I can be much more productive using a CLI having several terminals open doing many different tasks, vi for scripting and editing.

I'm responsible for dozens of servers none of which has a GUI attached and all that can be done on a 10 years scrapper running a Linux desktop that uses few resources so I cab browse a few sites and monitoring tools at the same time and run a Win7 VM to access some client tools that are win only.

It's not a pissing contest about which OS is better in my opinion but the best tools for the job that you are comfortable with. It was a delight to find I could run a terminal in OSX with commands I was familiar with.

The WIMP environment has been around for a very long time and can be used in any OS. I'm not saying that that how I prefer to work is better than any other way it just suits me and my skillset.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Hi SO, don't really understand what you mean by that, care to be a bit more explicit ?

Boo
    Anyone can be a click-meister?

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Wow.

Boo

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    [*]The year is 2015 ffs, who on earth wants to be stuck in the command line ?

Wow.

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    The new (and old too) Dell XPS13 has good Ubuntu support but it's still not as polished as OS X, where Apple has full control over the whole ecosystem.
    Because it is my clients money at stake, I use OS X as that has proven most reliable so far.
    If I was working on a hobby project, or a sudden downtime because of crappy wifi drivers was not a huge issue, I'd go Linux any time.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    It's all about the ecosystem, where are your contacts? bookmarks? data storage? Is it somewhere thats cross platform
    Apple for the desktop including workflow automation, Linux for server stuff. I'm keeping my options open on the server front with the occasional dabble with Unix.

Moving my workflow automation to another platform could be done but I'd probably have to write large chunks of it myself. Maybe I'll give it a whirl, but at the moment it "just works" so I'm happy with it.

Originally posted by portseven View Post
    Considering a move back to Apple myself, as I can't be bothered with all the x-platform hoops I need to jump through.
    What hoops are those?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

Typing a name into a CLI prompt to run a program? Windows doesn't do that?
    Most computer literate users are use to clicking on icons rather than using a CLI.

There is a section of computer illiterate users where a CLI is and would be useful. As long as they can find the terminal you can tell them what to type.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Linux desktop at home, Linux desktop at work. I ditched Win 8.1 on my laptop for Linux so now totally Windows free.

At work I use a command line interface exclusively since that's how I manage the Unix and Linux servers I look after, no GUI required or wanted. The wee girl who looks after the Windows servers seems to have many more issues than I do but that could be down to many things.

Horses for courses and all that but to describe any non Windows OS as tulipe is more than being blinkered.

Typing a name into a CLI prompt to run a program? Windows doesn't do that?

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Then stop posting in this thread. The OP simply wanted advice on moving between Linux and OSX.
    With respect, Cojak, the answer "neither" is viable in this context, and IMO the right one to boot.

Boo

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    For me day job is windows (unavoidable as I customize Microsoft products).

Home is now fully mac. Eek jrs have android phones (as they are cheap), Mrs Eek and myself iphones and ipads... The important thing here is that it just works and everything is integrated...

Servers are all linux based. The corporate web servers are ubuntu, the home (backup / media) server will revert back to that over the weekend...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Then stop posting in this thread. The OP simply wanted advice on moving between Linux and OSX.

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    There's a bit more to an operating system than a file manager.
    Yes indeed.

If you cast your eye back you will see that the claim I made for windows is that it has a more sorted user interface. And a file manager is a key component of the UI for any OS.

But it is also true to say that every other component of the Windows UI is better than the equivalent for Sh1t(e)OS : Control Panel vs Settings, Start Menu vs ridiculously bad Ucuntu (eg) Dash, Taskbar vs ??? what ? seems to be missing on Sh1tOS and malformed on Sh1teOS. Etc, etc

In fact the whole Sh1t(e)OS world seems to hang on the "improved" default command line of Bash vs CMD. But consider :
    1. The year is 2015 ffs, who on earth wants to be stuck in the command line ?
    2. Bash is available on Windows, if you are a pervert.
    3. The default on Ucuntu is Dash anyway and anyone who thinks the best way to start a program is by typing it's (unknown) name into a command line is an official moron and I claim my £5.
    4. Bash so far from being good is actually another example of what is so bad about Sh1t(e)OS : inconsistent use of "-" vs "--" for options, inconsistent use of capitalised vs lc options, the use of "." for "source" etc etc. Bash itself is just another dollop of poo in the enormous mountain of carp that is Sh1t(e)OS.

The implication of your remark seems to be that there is something "special" or "better" about Sh1t(e)OS but there is not. Nothing whatsoever about these OS variants is better than Windows. And kindly refrain from traducing me by suggesting I am a blind Windows fanboy - Windows drives me mad daily but the simple fact of the matter is that Sh1t(e)OS is worse in every way.

Boo

Leave a comment:

Working...
X