• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linux vs OSX

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux vs OSX

I'm looking for a new laptop for work (mainly Java stuff) because my Macbook Pro just got annihilated earlier today. I've been wondering whether anyone here has migrated from OSX back to Linux and how it worked out for you.
    I'm asking because I've made a move from iPhone to Android earlier this year only to switch back to iPhone after a month

PS: I used to be a Linux user before getting my first Macbook in 2008.

I've swapped back recently, although always used Linux as desktop so still familiar with it. It's nowhere near as slick but far more configurable and controllable. I'd probably have moved to Linux on a MBP if they came with Kensington slots but ended up with a Thinkpad instead.

What were your reasons for swapping back from Android? I would think the Android/IPhone comparison is pretty similar to the OSX/Linux one so might indicate it's not for you....

Comment

No but i switch between the 2, I have a MBP and a Dell XPS 13, and an android phone.

It's all about the ecosystem, where are your contacts? bookmarks? data storage? Is it somewhere thats cross platform?

Considering a move back to Apple myself, as I can't be bothered with all the x-platform hoops I need to jump through.
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

linux vs OSX == Sh1tOS vs Sh1teOS : go with Windows for a sorted user experience.

Just my HO,

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
          .....go with Windows for a sorted user experience.

Comment

Originally posted by smatty View Post
            What were your reasons for swapping back from Android? I would think the Android/IPhone comparison is pretty similar to the OSX/Linux one so might indicate it's not for you....
            My reason for swapping back to iPhone was the fact that my android phone randomly crashed resulting in my alarm not going off which led to me looking silly at a meeting being late. I had some other problems with it too but I'd sum it up with two words - reliability issues.

Comment

Originally posted by java View Post
              My reason for swapping back to iPhone was the fact that my android phone randomly crashed resulting in my alarm not going off which led to me looking silly at a meeting being late. I had some other problems with it too but I'd sum it up with two words - reliability issues.
              Another large factor in me going back to iPhone, having random crashes, random slowdowns and even reboots in some cases.
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                The user interface on Sh1t(e)OS is so far beyond poor as to be simply unbelievable after all these years. I'm currently using Ubuntu and eg Nautilus is far, far worse than Explorer. As for the preposterous and appalling Finder on OSX, even the drool-flecked aficionados of that rubbishy OS admit it's carp.

Boo
                Last edited by cojak; 10 April 2015, 09:49. Reason: Removed rude word

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                  The user interface on Sh1t(e)OS is so far beyond poor as to be simply unbelievable after all these years. I'm currently using Ubuntu and eg Nautilus is far, far worse than Explorer. As for the preposterous and appalling Finder on OSX, even the drool-flecked aficionados of that rubbishy OS admit it's carp.

Boo
                  There's a bit more to an operating system than a file manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                    There's a bit more to an operating system than a file manager.
                    Yes indeed.

If you cast your eye back you will see that the claim I made for windows is that it has a more sorted user interface. And a file manager is a key component of the UI for any OS.

But it is also true to say that every other component of the Windows UI is better than the equivalent for Sh1t(e)OS : Control Panel vs Settings, Start Menu vs ridiculously bad Ucuntu (eg) Dash, Taskbar vs ??? what ? seems to be missing on Sh1tOS and malformed on Sh1teOS. Etc, etc

In fact the whole Sh1t(e)OS world seems to hang on the "improved" default command line of Bash vs CMD. But consider :
                    1. The year is 2015 ffs, who on earth wants to be stuck in the command line ?
                    2. Bash is available on Windows, if you are a pervert.
                    3. The default on Ucuntu is Dash anyway and anyone who thinks the best way to start a program is by typing it's (unknown) name into a command line is an official moron and I claim my £5.
                    4. Bash so far from being good is actually another example of what is so bad about Sh1t(e)OS : inconsistent use of "-" vs "--" for options, inconsistent use of capitalised vs lc options, the use of "." for "source" etc etc. Bash itself is just another dollop of poo in the enormous mountain of carp that is Sh1t(e)OS.

The implication of your remark seems to be that there is something "special" or "better" about Sh1t(e)OS but there is not. Nothing whatsoever about these OS variants is better than Windows. And kindly refrain from traducing me by suggesting I am a blind Windows fanboy - Windows drives me mad daily but the simple fact of the matter is that Sh1t(e)OS is worse in every way.

Boo

Comment

Working...
                    X