• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Apache 403 error driving me bananas"

Collapse

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    That's the annoying bit. You get it working and you don't know how.
    So next time you have a similar problem...you have no idea how to resolve it.

I wonder if the browser cache was also causing it to appear not to be working? I have that problem when I login to my router. It says it failed when it really hasn't. Just the browser cache F***ing things up.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Pbkac imho hth kthxbi

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Probably the "restarted Apache" bit - I often make changes to Apache configs, forget to restart it, and wonder why they haven't worked
    I was restarting apache after every single change.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Seems like a typical sc-sk problem....

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    It's now working. Not a clue what I did differently. The last thing I did was put "" round the paths and restarted apache. Then it worked. So I took the quotes out and it's still working.
    Probably the "restarted Apache" bit - I often make changes to Apache configs, forget to restart it, and wonder why they haven't worked

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    It's now working. Not a clue what I did differently. The last thing I did was put "" round the paths and restarted apache. Then it worked. So I took the quotes out and it's still working.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Anyone else wondering what critical piece of information is suddenly going to be shared which makes the solution simple and obvious?
    Really great. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Anyone else wondering what critical piece of information is suddenly going to be shared which makes the solution simple and obvious?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I'm not stumped just can't be bothered to help ungrateful s when they are in point scoring mode...
    And how have I been ungrateful? Point scoring mode?

Get back on the meds.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I'm not stumped just can't be bothered to help ungrateful s when they are in point scoring mode...

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    This is an alias, not a virtual host.

Looks like everyone is as stumped as me.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    A what now?
    I'm familiar with the way Ubuntu has configured Apache.

usually the config files for site are put into
    /etc/apache2/sites-available

but apache loads only the sites in
    /etc/apache2/sites-enabled

the files in site-enabled are just symbolic links to the files in sites-available

Apache provides a small script which does the work to enable or disable sites
    sudo a2ensite site-name

then
    sudo service apache2 reload

That is what I use on Ubuntu.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    So you can't see index.html as apache user?
    If I su to apache user I can cat the file and see the contents.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    This maybe a completely stupid of me. but you did enable the site and restart apache?
    A what now?

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    This maybe a completely stupid of me. but you did enable the site and restart apache?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X