• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "This is just so wrong!"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by lightng View Post
    As a practising druid I am prepared to make sacrifices of my child.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    I would like to add that I am putting all my resources into an epic legal crusade to allow my child to wear her sickle to school. We are a family of druids and the sickle is necessary to our faith. As a practising druid I am prepared to make sacrifices for my child.

... right, thats the last single malt for tonight and last crap post.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
    As a final word I'd like to point people at Hardeep Singh's rational and thoughtful column in the Guardian, where he argues that schoolchildren should not be allowed to carry knives to school, even if they are Sikhs.

And actually I think this is important, and is not just "light relief".
    I agree - given the amount of drivel that stays in General (current most recent posts are "Word Association" and "Why don't men wear party hats any more?"), I find it very strange (and a little disturbing) that someone decided that this thread was something that should be discussed in LR.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Hardeep Singh's column that I linked to just above is well worth reading. In it he notes among other good points that a Sikh child may wear a Kirpan into school with no intention of ever using it, but other children may take it from him and use it.
    Very good article and a fair commentary.

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    Hardeep Singh's column that I linked to just above is well worth reading. In it he notes among other good points that a Sikh child may wear a Kirpan into school with no intention of ever using it, but other children may take it from him and use it.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    So, what happens if a Sikh tries to go through securty at an airport wearing a kirpan? They may plead the religious right and discrimination, but no-one will let them on a plane, surely?

I suspect they pack them in their luggage which goes into the hold, but then they are not 'wearing' it. In which, it can't be right that they should be able to wear them into school.

I don't for one minute believe they would intend using them for violence, but I can't help feeling that other kids will carry knives simply because of the argument that other kids are allowed too.

I feel a knowledge gap exists here...any of our offshore readers care to comment?

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    As a final word I'd like to point people at Hardeep Singh's rational and thoughtful column in the Guardian, where he argues that schoolchildren should not be allowed to carry knives to school, even if they are Sikhs.

And actually I think this is important, and is not just "light relief".

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Shouldn't Masons be entitled to carry four foot Knights Templar swords?

Darn, the coffee machine is out of cups again. Now where did I put that grail?
    You could have someone eye out with those Compasses!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Shouldn't Masons be entitled to carry four foot Knights Templar swords?

Darn, the coffee machine is out of cups again. Now where did I put that grail?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    right. should i be charged for owning and carrying a swiss army penknife?
    Depends. Are you Swiss?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    But, Black Puddings may only be carried in public by registered practitioners of Ecky Thump...
    Aye!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    FTFY - Eh Up!
    But, Black Puddings may only be carried in public by registered practitioners of Ecky Thump...
    Last edited by DaveB; 8 February 2010, 13:55.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    IMHO as a Scot, there is not the same need for a kilt-wearer to have a real Sgian Dubh as there is for a sikh to have a real Kirpan. In the case of Highland dress it is just that, dress. It makes you feel like Rob Roy and William Wallace (who probably never saw a kilt anyway), but you don't need to play at being them by carrying a real weapon. Better get one of those dress ones that have the handle of a Sgian Dubh for show, but the body of a bottle-opener.
    Far more useful too!

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    The Knife Act (Scotland) promises 6 months imprisonment to
    anybody wearing a 3"+ (or was it 2 1/2"?) knife without good reason. Most kilt wearers including myself wear a safety Sgian Dubh which looks and feels like the real thing but has no metal blade.

I haven't heard of anybody up here getting into trouble for wearing the real thing but I'm not going to take any chances.
    IMHO as a Scot, there is not the same need for a kilt-wearer to have a real Sgian Dubh as there is for a sikh to have a real Kirpan. In the case of Highland dress it is just that, dress. It makes you feel like Rob Roy and William Wallace (who probably never saw a kilt anyway), but you don't need to play at being them by carrying a real weapon. Better get one of those dress ones that have the handle of a Sgian Dubh for show, but the body of a bottle-opener.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    home grown though. none of that russian stuff.
    Which leads us quite neatly to possibly the most disturbing website on the internet. I can’t figure out whether the webmaster is a genuine Daily Wail reading ‘bring back the birch’ type or someone who enjoys a good pot noodle while watching young boys get caned.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X