• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: test please delete

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "test please delete"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

What was the outcome of the marmoset thing?
    The male had been put down by a vet a few weeks prior and buried in the back garden, whence his remains were exhumed by the RSPCA for further study. The female wasn't in such bad shape and the owner agreed to sign her over to Monkey World, where she was given suitable accommodation pending health checks and so on before she can be introduced to the others

Home again after the journey south. I managed to fit more in the car than I thought I would initially, but had to leave a few bits; I'll get them next weekend, weather and such permitting.

I am now the owner of not one but two canteens of silver cutlery, one from the 1970s, one of later vintage

All a bit posh, but I suppose one has to keep up appearances

More books, of course. No idea where to put them

And something which I'd vaguely assumed must have gone to the tip donkey's years ago: my Dad's reel-to-reel tape recorder, a Stellaphone ST454 of early 1960s vintage. There's also a few tapes with it and, looking at the labels, it appears some of them have my Dad's BBC radio plays on them! As far as we know, even the BBC doesn't still have recordings of them, so I need to find somebody who digitises reel-to-reel tapes

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Afternoon all

Sunny and warm, bit of a stiff breeze. Puddles from, I suspect, overnight rain. Currently 17 degrees with a high of 18 expected.

Yesterday was a sunshine and showers type day. We went to the National Tile Museum. Date night started with cocktails followed by a very delicious dinner.

Killing time out and about until it's time to head to the airport and come home.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Today's viewing was the usual range of wildlife stuff including Monkey Life
    What was the outcome of the marmoset thing?

Morning.

Wet.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Cold in here at 11.5 deg, 10.5 deg in the kitchen, 8.5 deg in the leanto.

990 mBar, 29.2347 in Hg, 742.56 Torr, 14.358 psi, (down from 995 last night), 75% RH (GDR hair), 63% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 2nd of September 2019 there was mention of "The Second Sleep", whereas WTFH had a 25% discount on some insurance just for phoning the scamming bastards.

And with that the mouthy **** on BH just went <click>

Too dreary for a walk.

Freecell score: 88%, running average: 86%.

Lunch: baked spud etc.

Entertainment: some curious poetry thing on The Food Programme (or that's what I took it to be from past experience).

TWTW <click>

How "we" starved 3 million people to death in 1943. <click> No doubt it was all down to that evil bastard Churchill again. . I'm not wasting my time to find out. I'm sure the Japanese would have done it much more effectively given the chance. .

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Today, 13:35.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Morning denizens

Nice looking sunrise out there, with cloud in thin strips parallel to the horizon giving a nice banded gradient effect. Bit chilly though, with frost on the cars and the lawn: currently 1°C, getting to 8° by mid-afternoon. The barometers are up a little bit more at 985/993mB

Off south shortly; aiming to beat the traffic, such as it is on a Sunday

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Today's viewing was the usual range of wildlife stuff including Monkey Life

And once that was over, I finished reading The Darkroom

Early night now as I'm popping south tomorrow to collect some stuff from my parents' house

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    What could be more delightful than a moonlit stroll? A moonlit stroll to the kebab shop, of course! So tea has been kebab and chips

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Lovely full moon rising over the block opposite

Lunch, by the way, was corned beef butties and crisps, again

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Afternoon denizens

Sunny and rather Simpsonesque out today; pigeons, magpies, squirrels, and blackbirds are all making the most of it on the big lawn. Currently 7°C and maybe getting to 8° in a bit, while the barometers are back up a bit at 983/991mB

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Morning

Saturday.

Grey.

Dry.

Cold in here at 12.1 deg, 11 deg in the kitchen, 8 deg in the leanto.

992 mBar, 29.29 in Hg, 744.1 Torr, 14.38774 psi, (up from 989 last night), 75% RH (GDR hair), 64% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 1st of September 2019 NF finished his John Wyndham book of short stories "Consider Her Ways and Others", I watched "Men with Brooms" which turned out to be about curling, whereas LM watched some A&E thing about a kid with a bleed on the brain.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the grey gloom following the sunshine. It started to rain shortly after I returned home so I had timed that right.

Lunch: baked spud etc.

Entertainment: The News Quiz. Cameo by Miles Jupp.

NZ Highway Cops. Chap doing 146 in a 100 limit: instant 28 day ban. He was a tourist with little English so "marriage dress" didn't translate well. Caravan thieves busted.

Freecell score: 75%, running average: 86%.

A minute of Monkey Life about a male marmoset the self appointed protectors of the furry were digging up, while his mate was being "surrendered". I have little time for the RSPCA.

Freecell score in the terminal ennui of the afternoon: 100%, running average: 86%.

The battery is flat in the Lidl(tm) RH thingie. . Or it's died.

Tea: spag with the first portion of the new batch of bol: quite nice.

Entertainment: some bollox on R4 with Nick Robinson: by some mistake it was actually inneresting. Though I can't stand the man. Mariana Mazzucato.

Dixon of Dock Green. S9 E11 "A home of One's Own (1962)". Elderly lady being evicted from her home of 50 years. Reminds me of my Great Aunt who was evicted from the family home she'd lived in for more than 70 years so "they" could build the magistrates court. The house was there for centuries. The court was there for 45.

Maigret. S4 E7 "The taste of Power (1963)"

The Edgar Wallace Mystery Theatre "Partners in crime (1960)".

Some bollox on Blaze. Mission Unexplained.

Eurocustoms: bits of the Spanish customs with Italian, German and Belgian customs. Doesn't help that the Spanish customs stuff has been shown on the Spanish customs thing.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Yesterday, 23:50.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Morning all
    The dog didn’t realise it was the weekend, so I’m awake. We’ve been out in the garden and there’s a lot of frost. Just what you don’t want when the plum trees are in full blossom

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Watchmen (2009) but not just the one in the pictures in 2009 but the Ultimate Cut, which among other things takes an associated minted short and weaves it onto the main feature, resulting in a runtime of three-and-a-half hours

It's pretty good, and has an excellent soundtrack. But there is rather a lot of it…

I don't know if it's the original source, though I suspect it may be, of the excellent line "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me."

And then enough of The Wire to get me into S2 and the docks. Relatives of mine worked on the Merseyside docks as checkers (which is what Frank Sobotka and his fellow union members are) back in the day, but I think that was before everything became containerised; more like it was in that episode of Boys from the Black Stuff with the blokes plundering crates in the hold

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Evening all, greetings from Lisbon

This morning was all get up, get to the airport. Then the Concorde Room, then flying, then unpacking then out.

This morning was dull and damp. On landing it was sunny. Light rain on our walk from bar 1 to bar 2. A balmy 14 degrees but it was knocking on 20 earlier in the week.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tea has been a rack of ribs in a smoky BBQ glaze with loads of fries

Accompanied by the end of the Trucking Hell I started watching last week, and the start of the next

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Various bits of tidying and sorting things out are being accomplished one step at a time here. In particular, after I'd knocked off, I finally got around to disassembling the Billy bookcase height extension units, for which the ceiling here isn't high enough. These had been put on the table towards the back of the living room when I was moving in and have been there ever since, inevitably getting other stuff left on top of them. They have now been reduced to their component parts and stacked neatly in a far corner of the fitted wardrobe (which is huge)

Next step is to reassemble the bookcase I used to use for DVDs. I already assembled this once but the panel pins that hold the back on all bent and so on and I took it apart again in frustration. Since then, its components have been leaning on the wall in the corner behind the table that bore the height extension units. I realised a while back that there was really no point getting rid of it for the sake of a few panel pins, so I went and bought a box of them from the hardware shop round the corner

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Lunch: corned beef butties and a bag of plain crisps

Still sunny from time to time out, despite quite a lot of cloud floating about

Leave a comment:

Working...
X