• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: test please delete

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "test please delete"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    The decorator has done a number of jobs but finished none as they all require time to dry. So he's gone off and will return tomorrow, at 8am. That means the office and conservatory will remain in disarray for another day but the moving around of stuff has given me opportunity to have a bit of a clean up in areas that otherwise might not see the light of day until I move out...

The sun has made an unforecast appearance through the cloud but it's still set to be beaten back by the rain, the arrival of which has been pushed back an hour it would seem.

Now to decide about that visit to my storage place. I'd rather take something with me and not go there with an empty car. However, the prime candidates are boxes of stuff that are in the cupboards in the office, which are inaccessible at present. I think I can see where this is going!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Phone call from the GP (well, one of the pharmacists there) which I'd forgotten I was expecting some time this morning

All test results are apparently OK, except one of the thyroid function ones is a bit low, so they want to repeat that one but in a more detailed form or something like that. Upon investigation, I find that symptoms of hypothyroidism include tiredness and weight gain. Might be nice to have something other than old age and indolence to blame them on

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Morning denizens

Cloudy day today, with the possibility of light rain - in fact, there's supposed to be some right now, though I can't see it. Not any warmer either at 8°C and aiming for 11°. The barometers are only one notch up at 992/1001mB, so essentially still unchanged

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Me write to the Metro? .

Morning.

Damply dry again.

Grey.

Sunless.

Chilly in here at 13.5 deg, 12.5 in the kitchen, 13.5 in the leanto.

1000.25 mBar, 29.5373 in Hg, 750.25 Torr, 14.5 psi, (up from 1000 last night), 77% RH (GDR hair), 70% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 22nd of September 2019 NF was watching "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" followed by "The Siege (1998)" with Bruce Willis & Denzel Washington, whereas I watched "LA Confidential", and Xogg used to live in Bromley where once H.G. Wells had an abode (and a more recent plaque). Since it was a Sunday, the beef it was aroasting, and since it was wet no gardening transpired, which was gratefully received.

Shopping trip to Morrisons done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away.

Lunch: baked spud etc.

Entertainment: Money Box. <click>

Dead Ringers.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the grey gloom & cold wind. Strewth it's a bit chilly out there.

Bits of Star Trek IV.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Today, 14:35.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Morning all

Dull and damp. Currently 6 degrees with a high of 12 expected. Rain forecast this afternoon and into the evening. Barometer continues its downward trajectory to 1004 mBar.

Up early for a Saturday because the landlady is finally getting things fixed in the house where leaks have occured in the conservatory. It's like she decided to hedge her bets on me leaving to get the place in order for remarketing.

There's also works to be done in my little office and so I'm going to have to spend the morning dismantling my desk and kit to allow room for the repair of a fault noted on the check in report that has only gotten worse over the past 20 months or so.

Hopefully I can then go out to the storage unit.

Triangle of Sadness was an entertaining film, I might have to watch that again.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tonight's major motion picture premiere has been Triangle of Sadness (2022) which follows an influencer couple who blag their way onto a cruise aboard a yacht full of multimillionaires where things go very wrong in a variety of drastic ways, ultimately leading to a modern rehash of the plot of The Admirable Crichton. I found it very entertaining, though those of a sensitive disposition might be somewhat discombobulated by the graphic sequence of passengers suffering from extreme seasickness when a storm strikes during the Captain's Dinner

And then a further episode of S3 of The Wire

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tea, then has been braised beef short rib in Guinness gravy, with chips and peas. The beef concoction turned out really well so I'll have to remember whatever it was I chucked in there when I started making it first thing this morning, that being what passes for a recipe in my world

Lots left too, which is mildly inconvenient with limited freezer capacity. But I daresay I'll manage

This was accompanied by the rest of an episode of Trucking Hell that I'd partially watched

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Mundane laundry is on

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the kitchen, beef short ribs are slow cooking in a Guinness-based gravy. They turned out to be slightly too big for the slow cooker, so I'm using the InstantPot™ in slow cooker mode. They seem to be cooking a bit too slowly on the lowest setting though, as they still don't fit completely in the stock and that seems to be cool enough to not steam the half that's poking out very much. They were done well enough to peel the meat away from the bones, and I've turned it to its highest "slow cook" setting for the final three hours or so. The advantage of them being in there is that if they aren't properly deliquescing at the appointed time, I can just switch it over to pressure cooker mode. The gravy has already developed a nice, rich flavour so a quick blast of high pressure to finish the meat off should work out nicely

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Lunch has been a few M&S honey & mustard cocktail sausages with a bag of plain crisps

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Hey DrS, have you been talking to The Metro??

https://metro.co.uk/2024/04/25/two-s...ndon-20716892/

‘This is 100% something a One Eyed Witch would warn as a sign of some disaster about to happen,’ wrote Doc Strangelove.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Morning all

Bright and dry with wispy fluff. Currently 9 degrees with a high of 13 expected. No rain forecast but it is likely to cloud over this afternoon. Barometer down a snifter to 1006 mBar.

I didn't get the flat. A couple with a child got it because they wanted an 8 year term. Can't argue with that. I've decided I will quit my place and hope that something suitable presents itself within the next two months. I will pop down to my storage place tomorrow for a recce to see what room it's got and clear out the tat I'm never going to use. Then start planning what to put in it to make the move easier.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Morning.

Friday.

Damply dry.

Grey.

Wanly sunny.

Chilly inhere at 13.6 deg, 13 deg in the kitchen, 13.5 deg in the leanto.

1000 mBar, 29.53 in Hg, 750 Torr, 14.5 psi, (up from 999.5 last night), 77% RH (GDR hair), 67% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 21st of September there was more discussion of "Stargate", while NF had some of his scotch broth for lunch which was very nice, then, as is correct, went to the Chinese for his tea, having an extended conversation with the lady behind the counter on the state of the nation, people being generally unhappy, and other such things. The meal turned out well.

Weird dream: esteemed customers & me in a lab on a space station, obviously with gravity generator since we weren't floating about, managed to get them all to feck off (where to?) then found myself walking down some hill or other to the railway station, which was supposed to be Newport but looked nothing like it, only to find I'd forgotten my wallet and had 74.5 p in my pocket, 55 miles from home. WTF?

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the grey gloom, wan sunshine, sprinkling of rain.

Lunch: scrambled egg etc.

Entertainment: Whatever the feck replaces Y&Y on a Friday.

TWATO.

The chap feeding himself for a year from what he can grow on his small holding.

House roughly vacced. I must be Bored. Now.

Veronica Mars S1 E19 "Hot dogs". The dog theft one.

Tea: soup etc.

The Mentalist S2 E22 "Red Letter". The people trafficking one.

"Walking with the Ancients": Bering sea land bridge: early Native Americans.

Curse of the Ancients with Alice Roberts. the Saxons & Normans I can feel the snore even yet.

Ancient Murders Unearthed. Some Italian prince who died in the 14th century of a recessive gene error: glycogenesis type 2, he had late onset since he was rather older than 1 when he pegged it.

Cursed Treasures.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Yesterday, 21:52.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Morning denizens

Another sunny start but with some widely-distributed wisps of high haze, and supposedly continuing "cloudy" all day. I believe it was supposed to get down to freezing overnight but it's back up to 5°C now, and expected to get as high as 11° later, though is that really a lot for late April? The barometers are steady at 992/1000mB

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Morning all
    TFIF, etc.

Another 10km walked this morning, with some light cloud around.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tea was accompanied by the remainder of a Police Interceptors I didn't bother watching to the end the other day.

And then I finally got around to watching all three episodes of Breathtaking, ITV's drama based on Dr. Rachel Clarke's book of the same title, about how the Covid pandemic's early days played out in hospitals - accompanied by a generous sprinkling of actual footage of members of the government lying about PPE, testing, care homes, and everything else they lied about. Thoroughly enraging, after the manner of Mr. Bates vs. the Post Office, and well worth watching

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

Working...
X