• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: test please delete

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "test please delete"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Well the marks on the kitchen floor are non salvageable. Will have to see what the landlady says on Monday. The wood flooring was trashed anyway but, considering how she's repairing stuff and making it all pristine for her new tenants, she may well want to sting me for an entire new floor.
    My last (I hope) landlord gave me grief over the state of the carpet. Back when the deposit scheme came in, which was after I'd moved there, the original landlord had placed it with some organisation or other that deals with such matters, and he'd inherited that when he bought the place and issued new tenancy agreements. So I sent him a link to a document on said organisation's website that said it was unreasonable to withhold deposit over a carpet that was more than ten years old, and pointed out that the carpet had been there as long as I had: eighteen years

I didn't really care about the deposit anyway. It was from 2004 and was a month's rent then plus a hundred quid, so £395. Spending time arguing about it would literally have been more than my time is worth. He'd agreed immediately to my suggestion that he keep it and put it towards cleaning the flat and any other expenses, which saved me the trouble of getting the place cleaned. He was your classic BTL cheapskate, and I very much hope that the cleaning plus the cost of the new carpet came to more than that and left him in agonies over losing an utterly trivial sum

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Went to a hospital this morning (not my local one, because they don’t have a walk in clinic), turns out that I had an infection in my ear, not just gunk. Now on a course of amoxicillin for 5 days to see if it will clear up. In the mean time, I can’t hear anything from the far right, which is quite nice in the current political climate

Night all

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Well the marks on the kitchen floor are non salvageable. Will have to see what the landlady says on Monday. The wood flooring was trashed anyway but, considering how she's repairing stuff and making it all pristine for her new tenants, she may well want to sting me for an entire new floor.

A few more boxes have been emptied. The kitchen is still a tip.

As I have no internet for TV and don't want to use all of my mobile data, I may have to read a book! I might ease myself in with the latest Private Eye first.

Which reminds me: there's a place up near Ealing Broadway that does free hotdesking - you don't even have to buy a coffee and nurse it for hours. So I'll try it out on Monday and hopefully it'll be ok for the couple of meetings I have on Tuesday.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tea tonight was from KFC

By the time I got back from the southern regions it had turned sunny and Simpsonesque here, and continues so - a very pleasant evening

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

It can happen to anyone. Just need to be a touch off guard for a moment and they're in! Glad it's been cancelled, gift cards are quite hard to stop.
    Wlms - the modern scammer is considerably more skilful and professional than some Nigerian youth in an Internet café

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied

It can happen to anyone. Just need to be a touch off guard for a moment and they're in! Glad it's been cancelled, gift cards are quite hard to stop.
    Thanks LM, makes me feel a bit less of a total idiot.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    The keys were picked up nearly an hour after the cleaners were supposed to start. No idea what time they got actually started but they were originally due to finish at 6pm. Will shortly take a wander down there to see where they're at. I need to have a look at some patches of dodgy floor to see if I can effect a repair before Monday morning.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Thought I was pretty savvy and can't believe I've been scammed. It wasn't your average dodgy looking thing, it was an email, apparently from loony lady 3 using both her's and my correct names, asking if i'd send her niece an Apple gift card for her birthday and she'd pay me back later. Somebody must have got into her email account and got all her contact details. Fortunately the order is showing as cancelled, seems the bank must have spotted it as dodgy.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Thought I was pretty savvy and can't believe I've been scammed. It wasn't your average dodgy looking thing, it was an email, apparently from loony lady 3 using both her's and my correct names, asking if i'd send her niece an Apple gift card for her birthday and she'd pay me back later. Somebody must have got into her email account and got all her contact details. Fortunately the order is showing as cancelled, seems the bank must have spotted it as dodgy.
    Last edited by xoggoth; Yesterday, 15:55.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Ham sandwiches and a bag of plain crisps for lunch

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Most of the stuff has been brought in; there's a few bits that can wait, as my back is unhappy with the unusual demands being made upon it.

One thing I'd forgotten I'd got: a boxed set of lead crystal whisky glasses, probably never used

I almost brought the microwave too, as that's coming to me - a nice John Lewis one. I don't need the bulky combination one I've got, especially as it tripped the main fuse the last couple of times I tried to use the non-microwaving functions

But I decided to leave it for now; it can dress the kitchen when the estate agents are showing people around. I've got its box here, which will make it easier to transport, and TBH I couldn't be bothered moving the stuff that was already in the car to fit it in

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Home again!

I made two trips to the tip at that end, mostly old flatpack or otherwise fairly cheap furniture, which had been leaning round the side of the house. Some of it had been there for long enough that a colony of woodlice is now in need of a new home, as are several spiders

The other stuff that needs to go wouldn't have fitted easily in my car, so my brother can do that with his larger thing

I thought i was just picking up a small box or two of my Dad's old disk drives and similar stuff, but we ended up making a sweep of the kitchen. So I now have various things I wasn't expecting, including a food mixer, a fire extinguisher and fire blanket, and a boxed set of four china mugs with Hokusai prints on them which I liked. Not to mention a bottle of Bushmills in a fancy box

Now I've recovered a little from the rigours of the journey, I'd better pop down and unload the car

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    The famers market was small but well stocked. Bread and snacks were procured.

The heavens opened about 15 mins after I got back, which was not forecast. Despite there still being no rain forecast, the sky remains ominously grey in parts.

The cleaners are running late due to their previous job being very dirty. Waiting on their driver to pop round to collect the keys.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    If anyone wants some packing/storage boxes and wrapping paper, I have loads. Free to collector.

That doesn't mean I'm done unpacking, oh no, I am barely halfway through what was in the kitchen / conservatory. My bedroom looks like I've turned into one of those hoarders you see on Channel 4.
    Spent all day trying to get the kitchen sorted out. It still looks like a bomb site.

A quick tot up of boxes emptied vs boxes remaining and I'm less than halfway to having a flat that resembles something other than a box showroom
    I've still got a garage full of unpacked boxes and a heap of flat boxes.
    Only been here 2.5 years though

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Morning all

Cloudy and dull. Currently 16 degrees with a high of 22 expected. The sun is expected to make something of an appearance this afternoon. Barometer continues downwards to 1014 mBar.

This afternoon a crack team of cleaners comes to the old place to give it a good spivving. I need to buy some bin bags and a toilet brush. I will pop round the corner to the Saturday farmers' market in a minute to get a nice loaf for breakfast. I haven't found my coffee mug yet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X