• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: test please delete

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "test please delete"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    That cast got around: another one was also in Goldfinger, one more was in both Dr. No and Thunderball as well as appearing in three episodes of UFO; and yet another was not only in Randall and Hopkirk Deceased but also the narrator on Mr. Benn!

I've only looked at those four, otherwise I'll be at it all night

Before I went down that rabbit hole, TV was an old Police Interceptors - though not that old, as I'm catching up with the present there. One odd aspect of this was that some of the voiceover had apparently been updated while the subtitles hadn't. So, for example, after a pursuit in which the bloke had ditched the car and run off, the subtitles said he was still being sought, yet the narration said he'd got four years for various offences. And there were a couple of others like that

Oh, and the hallway lights have been fixed, meaning I was able to see exactly where I was putting the bag of rubbish I put out for the cleaners to remove in the morning, rather than casting it vaguely towards the lift in the dim green glow of the emergency light!

Friday tomorrow!

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Out of idle curiosity, I looked up my Dad's 1961 TV play on IMDb: "ITV Television Playhouse" Flight 447 Delayed (TV Episode 1961)

The first chap in the cast list, Martin Benson, seems to have had a pretty interesting career in his own right. He was in Cleopatra with Taylor and Burton, then in Goldfinger as the mobster who refuses the offer that shouldn't have been refused and gets put through a car crusher by Oddjob for his pains. And he also seems to have been in just about every TV series of the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s you've ever heard of, including playing the Vogon captain who demolishes Earth in the TV version of The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    A pleasant enough evening, so to Big Sainsbury's I did go. Nothing exciting to report, except that the chestnut tree outside the old flat is looking well, and the Polish café seems to be keeping busy

Then home via the VAT fraud chip shop, so tea has been fish & chips

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Lunch: Heinz tomato soup and white toast

The wind has got up here and blown some of the cloud away, so it's sunny from time to time but not unpleasantly warm

Earlier on, I ventured over to the bins with a bag of recycling. Coming back, a recent mystery was explained: why has an electrical contractor's van been showing up outside for the past few days? It turns out he's fixing/maintaining the outside lighting, which consists of lights over the six doorways to the three blocks. I'd vaguely noticed that the ones on the blocks opposite and adjacent were on the last few nights; I believe they're both light and motion sensitive, to keep them off during the day and turn them off after a while if nobody's moving around. But maybe they aren't motion sensitive, and just seemed to be off a lot because they were faulty or broken? Anyway, it was the turn of the light over our front door, so the chap was perched up a ladder doing things to it.

I'm hoping he's also doing the internal lights in the common areas, as they've been bust since late last year, meaning going out of the flat after dark involves moving around in an eerie green glow from the emergency lights. The proper ones are definitely motion sensitive, and it was mildly enjoyable to see each floor lighting up as you reached it when using the stairs

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

St. Nicholas Abbey is better

Although the Rum plantations on Guadeloupe are way more fun.
    I disagree, but there you go

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

give Mount Gay my fond regards
    St. Nicholas Abbey is better

Although the Rum plantations on Guadeloupe are way more fun.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Morning all, Barbados calling, local time 0713

Sunny but damp from overnight showers. Currently 28 degrees ('feels like' 31) with a high of 31 expected. Some showers forecast off and on.

We are due to pick up the hire car today. I'll be interested to see what sort of car HWMBO (a non driver) selected.
    It's Barbados - you want a Suzuki Jimny, anything else is pointless..

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Sunny but damp from overnight showers. Currently 28 degrees ('feels like' 31) with a high of 31 expected. Some showers forecast off and on.

We are due to pick up the hire car today. I'll be interested to see what sort of car HWMBO (a non driver) selected.
    give Mount Gay my fond regards

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Been unusually charitable for this mean old git. For second time ran a lady I don't know to see her husband at a nearby clinic. She just stands by road and waves. Then got waved at by a group of boys who were lost so showed them where they were on map. They insisted on giving me fist bumps. Expect that counts as molestation these days.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Morning.

Thursday.

Dry.

Intermittently sunny.

Warm side of cool in here at 21.6 deg, 22.5 deg in the kitchen, 21 deg in the leanto.

1004 mBar, 29.648 in Hg, 753.06 Torr, 14.56 psi, (unchanged), 78% RH (GDR hair), 70% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 14th of October 2019 NF did some first line problem solving by rebooting the router, after which The Links were UP, and I had a conference pear off the tree, which turned out to be very nice indeed. That won't happen again.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the breezy breeze. Much cooler than yesterday.

Lunch: beans on toast etc.

Entertainment: The Bottom line waffling on about copyright.

Sliced Bread waffling on about cholesterol.

TWATO.

The thing at 13:45 about forever chemicals dumped in quarries in Wales. Yesterday's ep included details of the attempted murder of the whistleblower.

Veronica Mars S3 E19 "Weevils wobble but they don't go down". Nearly The End.

Tea: chilli con carne with rice etc.

Entertainment: PM.

Dan Do: Plas Cylybebyll: a 9 bedroom mansion near Pontardawe. £900k in 2020 according to Zoopla.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Today, 17:14.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Morning all
    Overcast here - looks like rain could be on its way. Muggy on the perambulation earlier.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Morning denizens

Cloudy start and expected to get windy later. Currently 17°C and not getting past 21°, for which much thanks; it seems our long national nightmare (three days of warm weather) is over. The barometers are down, properly this time, at 995/1003mB

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Telly was another episode of the motorway police thing that isn't on motorways any more because there aren't any where they now film it

I didn't bother with the debate because there was clearly no point, and opinion on Twitter seems to confirm that it was an absolute waste of everybody's time

In other news, I realised this afternoon that I'd forgotten to put in last week's timesheet on Friday. So I did it, and the contract manager at ClientGov approved it at teatime. But it's probably too late for getting paid this week

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Finished work, went to the beach. MMtSH and The Wife went for a swim. I chose not too, even though it was very tempting. Last day on antibiotics, and I really don’t want to get an infection.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X