• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Fat B*sted...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fat B*sted..."

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Although it's more dangerous trying to cycle down the canel as people are more unpredictable than the motorists. Especially deaf old people with hundreds of yapping rat dogs on leads.
    canal ??

Is it a water bike?

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    That, and the increasing number of uninsured and unqualified drivers from abroad, now cruising the streets in their unroadworthy heaps.
    ... tanked-up on vodka (the drivers, that is, not the unroadworthy heaps).

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    A quick browse on the Interweb revealed that a fair few cyclists think that the roads are a lot more dangerous than they once were. owing, mainly, to mobile phone usage.
    That, and the increasing number of uninsured and unqualified drivers from abroad, now cruising the streets in their unroadworthy heaps.

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    The stats aren't as bad as I'd suspected, and are dropping, but the number of annual cycling-related deaths & injuries is still too high for comfort.

A quick browse on the Interweb revealed that a fair few cyclists think that the roads are a lot more dangerous than they once were. owing, mainly, to mobile phone usage.

Leave a comment:

• scon_ead
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Get her a Gym Membership instead. That way you don't end up with a useless lump of plastic and steel tubing sat in the corner doing duty as a cloths horse
    Nope, but you do end up with her being tied into a minimum 6 month contract @ £50 per month and her not actually going after a few weeks...

Been there...got the T-shirt...

The exercise-bike is phase 2 of her exercise fad...

Still, appreciate some of the sugestions on here - cheers

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by scon_ead View Post
    It's actually for the Mrs so I wouldn't be comfortable with her going out on her own.

I'm guessing it's just a fad as she's actually healthy/in shape (nope I won't be providing pictures...) but I think she's just trying to feel a bit 'London City Girl' at the moment.

I'll just go for something cheap but expensive looking and see how long it takes before it turns into a wardrobe...
    Get her a Gym Membership instead. That way you don't end up with a useless lump of plastic and steel tubing sat in the corner doing duty as a cloths horse

Leave a comment:

• scon_ead
    replied
    Get a proper bike and go out on that instead.
    It's actually for the Mrs so I wouldn't be comfortable with her going out on her own.

I'm guessing it's just a fad as she's actually healthy/in shape (nope I won't be providing pictures...) but I think she's just trying to feel a bit 'London City Girl' at the moment.

I'll just go for something cheap but expensive looking and see how long it takes before it turns into a wardrobe...

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Is it better to cycle on roads 30 mins a day to reduce the risk of heart disease vs increasing the risk of a fatality and breathing carcinogens in deeply?

I often wonder when I'm cycling. I fear it's the fatality risk having once to mount the pavement in an emergency as a lorry thundered passed me.

Although it's more dangerous trying to cycle down the canel as people are more unpredictable than the motorists. Especially deaf old people with hundreds of yapping rat dogs on leads.
    Depends where you go I guess. I'm out in the sticks so traffic is not really an issue. You wont be breathing in significantly more nasties on the bike than you would normally, the risk from that is probably insignificant in statistical terms.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Is it better to cycle on roads 30 mins a day to reduce the risk of heart disease vs increasing the risk of a fatality and breathing carcinogens in deeply?

I often wonder when I'm cycling. I fear it's the fatality risk having once to mount the pavement in an emergency as a lorry thundered passed me.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    Two words of caution, if you decide to cycle on the roads: Twatty motorists.
    Agreed, stick to B roads and back lanes where you can. That way you only have to dodge the tractors

Getting out on a real bike is also far more interesting that being sat on an excersise bike in the front room, even with the telly on. 30 mins on an excersise bike feels like far longer than an hour on a proper bike outdoors.

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Get a proper bike and go out on that instead. Much better for you and a damn sight more comfortable as well. If you donr want to be out in the cold in winter or are just too embarrassed to untill you lose some weight get a static trainer to go with it. Summat like the one at the bottom of this page would do the job for you.
    Two words of caution, if you decide to cycle on the roads: Twatty motorists.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Get a proper bike and go out on that instead. Much better for you and a damn sight more comfortable as well. If you donr want to be out in the cold in winter or are just too embarrassed to untill you lose some weight get a static trainer to go with it. Summat like the one at the bottom of this page would do the job for you.

Leave a comment:

• scon_ead
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    hmmmm...it was a play on words but no one got it...

Fat Busted...e.g. I need a fat busting machine...

I'll get my coat...

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Top Tip: Get a cross-trainer/elliptical trainer.

I have found that you get fewer injuries and more benefit from an elliptical trainer than with an exercise bike.

I have a Kettler Mondeo. Cost a few bob, but is rock solid, hasn't let me down once, and I recommend it highly.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Yeh that thing about magnets. No 1 son has one with some sort of rubber resistance pad and it leaves a pile of black bits all over the carpet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X