• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "As you were, for now."

Collapse

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    it does if you are doing fixed price work and don’t have complete control over acceptance criteria, seen that (it wasn’t me thank God) never again..
    Fixed price... yes I agree..
    Every time I offer fixed price the client thinks (correctly) that I'll add more $$$$ to cover those additional risks. So they refuse it.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    EDIT: US version?????? Have you no taste???
    I’ve watched the original series a couple of times.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    yes. But's a financial risk of the client/agency going bust. Not a financial risk of you running your business.
    I'm just not sure that the financial risk element works for PSCs an in IR35 context.
    it does if you are doing fixed price work and don’t have complete control over acceptance criteria, seen that (it wasn’t me thank God) never again..

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Four weeks on site, four weeks of travel and accommodation expense, client or agency goes bust, no pay. Therefore, negative profit. Outside IR35 lends itself to that - almost a self-fulfilling prophecy compared to Inside if you like.
    yes. But's a financial risk of the client/agency going bust. Not a financial risk of you running your business.
    I'm just not sure that the financial risk element works for PSCs an in IR35 context.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    financial risk requries to be at risk of losing money (ie. negative profit), not losing revenue. And no, accountancy fees and salary don't count.
    Four weeks on site, four weeks of travel and accommodation expense, client or agency goes bust, no pay. Therefore, negative profit. Outside IR35 lends itself to that - almost a self-fulfilling prophecy compared to Inside if you like.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by mondeoman View Post
    Financial risk? Just thinking aloud. Employees being binned would be protected / get redundancy. Although where I am at the moment, binning contractors and keeping perms would offer a substantial saving - I'm just waiting for the hammer to fall
    financial risk requries to be at risk of losing money (ie. negative profit), not losing revenue. And no, accountancy fees and salary don't count.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    Not me - my client has no idea I now spend half my day watching old episodes of The Office US on the Comedy channel.
    if you can prove that in a tax tribunal, and that it is "not being controlled" rather than ripping off your client then you're good
    Wouldn't it be marvelous if all it took was to prove to the tax man that you're taking money for doing f*** all to get you slam dunk outside?

EDIT: US version?????? Have you no taste???

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    This. Permies have been able to work from home at their own pace for many years. Even using their own kit in some cases. Thinking that is a defense is typical permietractor stuff.

I was hoping this whole legislation would have got every contractor past that thinking by now.
    I think working off site probably was a defence when I started contracting a decade ago but it has become more and more commonplace since.

Leave a comment:

• mondeoman
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    How does that put you outside if others are fired at the same time..
    Financial risk? Just thinking aloud. Employees being binned would be protected / get redundancy. Although where I am at the moment, binning contractors and keeping perms would offer a substantial saving - I'm just waiting for the hammer to fall

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Arguably, now that everyone *has* to work from home, we are all under that control now even if not before.
    Not me - my client has no idea I now spend half my day watching old episodes of The Office US on the Comedy channel.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Client Co. have withdrawn all provisional statements on IR35 status in light of the postponement of the legislation and the current crisis.

New 3 month contract in the post with a statement that engagements will continue under the original arrangements and no determinations on status will be issued.

I'm going to call that a win for now.

Meeting booked with Client Co. hiring manager to plan for when it all comes around again, assuming I'm still here.
    Splendid. 12 months more back tax for Hector to take a stab at.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Must be said that WFH must now have entirely disappeared as a defence against IR35?
    The thing about WFH is that it *could* demonstrate a lack of control, if the contractor chooses to work where he/she wants and the location is not dictated by the client.
    Arguably, now that everyone *has* to work from home, we are all under that control now even if not before.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Swiftly View Post
    Client won't have any "facts", as they would have deleted them and been compliant with GDPR Article 17.

Contractor won't have any "facts", as they would have conveniently forgotten about them.
    GDPR isn't much help when it's an assessment of a business relationship.
    GDPR isn't much help when the client has a valid right to retain the information (which they do).

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by mondeoman View Post
    Pretty much that. If you do anything else, and get investigated, the client will not have your back (if they ever did in the past).

Its all down to whether you want to take the risk or not, or if you can show that you are outside by example of your working practices.

It may well be that a lot of pre-April 6 SDS's that have you inside, when you are contracting via a Ltd Co, get overturned when the client dumps you with no notice in the next couple of weeks, potentially putting you very clearly outside. Maybe.
    How does that put you outside if others are fired at the same time..

Leave a comment:

• mondeoman
    replied
    Originally posted by shinya View Post
    If you were working outside and have received an Inside SDS, what would be the best steps now? Continue the current contract as Inside IR35, close the Ltd company and hope they never look into it? If they do, pay the backtax and say you changed to Inside IR35 when you received the SDS? Otherwise if continuing Outside you are possibly negligent, am I correct? Other options will now be limited due to Covid-19, and it is an income...
    Pretty much that. If you do anything else, and get investigated, the client will not have your back (if they ever did in the past).

Its all down to whether you want to take the risk or not, or if you can show that you are outside by example of your working practices.

It may well be that a lot of pre-April 6 SDS's that have you inside, when you are contracting via a Ltd Co, get overturned when the client dumps you with no notice in the next couple of weeks, potentially putting you very clearly outside. Maybe.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X