• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "HOL hearing - 02/03/2020"

Collapse

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I laid flowers outside her house when she died. Very sad day. I got interviewed by foreign news crews.
    I'm with Elvis Costello on this

Leave a comment:

• Speedbird676
    replied
    Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
    The tax system with its various brackets and different names ( PAYE, employees NIC, employers NIC) are design to obfuscate the overall rate of tax an individual is actually paying.

I've had conversations with educated people who are happy they earn less than the higher rate tax band, because they think they would have to pay 40% tax on everything they earn.
    Successive governments talk about moving toward a progressive tax regime, when they actually mean progressing towards an ever complicated tax regime!

For example, in April 2017, the thresholds for Primary and Secondary NI contributions were finally aligned. The rates published last month for 2020-21 show these are due to go out of line again.

Leave a comment:

• krytonsheep
    replied
    Originally posted by simes View Post
    Of course yes! Again thanks.

But is the general thinking along the right lines? Remove NI as an entity and chuck the shortfall into Income Tax?
    The tax system with its various brackets and different names ( PAYE, employees NIC, employers NIC) are design to obfuscate the overall rate of tax an individual is actually paying.

I've had conversations with educated people who are happy they earn less than the higher rate tax band, because they think they would have to pay 40% tax on everything they earn.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    She was indeed very divisive. You can't doubt that she had a long term plan (whatever you may have thought of it) that saw beyond her initial term. Just don't get that any more with politicians. It's all 5 year sticking plasters.
    TBF Boris has a 10 year plan. That's it though. That's all he's got.

Leave a comment:

• Speedbird676
    replied
    Originally posted by Wobblyheed View Post
    They held street parties in the north east
    Is that the same North East that gave The Tories an extra 8 seats?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    She was indeed very divisive. You can't doubt that she had a long term plan (whatever you may have thought of it) that saw beyond her initial term. Just don't get that any more with politicians. It's all 5 year sticking plasters.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Wobblyheed View Post
    I told that to the news crews so I suspect they never used my footage. And I understand the views of those who hated her. She was a very decisive person and it was good she never had a state funeral.

Oddly she thought being equally despised and loved was great - it proved she made a difference.

Leave a comment:

• Wobblyheed
    replied
    I laid flowers outside her house when she died. Very sad day. I got interviewed by foreign news crews.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Dead

HTHBIDT

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Where is Maggie when the UK needs her?
    Dead

HTHBIDT

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Well, yes, that too.
    Where is Maggie when the UK needs her?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I disagree. It needs an overhaul of HMRC.
    Well, yes, that too.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    There needs to be an overhaul of the entire tax system. Anything less would be just tinkering.

Chuck out rule book and start again. There will be winners and losers and vested interests all over the shop but it needs doing.

Pie in the sky stuff, it'll never happen as no elected person has the gumption to consider anything longer than their parliamentary term.
    I disagree. It needs an overhaul of HMRC.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    It would be a good start if there was a minister appointed to HMRC as there is for other depts.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    There needs to be an overhaul of the entire tax system. Anything less would be just tinkering.

Chuck out rule book and start again. There will be winners and losers and vested interests all over the shop but it needs doing.

Pie in the sky stuff, it'll never happen as no elected person has the gumption to consider anything longer than their parliamentary term.
    This is about the first time since 1997 when a Government could do so and they have far bigger issues at the moment (Brexit would have been enough, the coronavirus adds another big hassle on top).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X