• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Radio 4 Request – IR35 impact on the public sector"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    Heard this on the radio today:

BBC Radio 4 - Money Box, Pensions freedoms tax shock

IR35 link half-way down the page.

Looking inevitable for the budget.
    The contractor gave a good, articulate account, I thought.

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    Heard this on the radio today:

BBC Radio 4 - Money Box, Pensions freedoms tax shock

IR35 link half-way down the page.

Looking inevitable for the budget.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    To prove that those who apply will not be left to twist in the wind.

I have seen it happen too many times.

Generally the BBC are better than most. But not much.
    simple rule when dealing with media - no editoral control - run away...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Why on earth would they?
    To prove that those who apply will not be left to twist in the wind.

I have seen it happen too many times.

Generally the BBC are better than most. But not much.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    No going to respond to comments on this thread?
    Why on earth would they?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by lhgleicester View Post
    Hello

BBC Radio 4 is looking into the impact of the IR35 rule change for the public sector, and interested to speak to individuals who have been affected.

We would be keen to hear from anybody who has seen significant change in the area they work in, or has seen their circumstances change significantly.

If you are interested to let us know about your experience, please reply to this thread, and I will send you a private message.

Many thanks.
    No going to respond to comments on this thread?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Matt O'Connor learnt a valuable lesion when interviewed by Fiona Bruce. He expected a balanced interview and got sandbagged. He was not prepared.

If you are going to be interviewed, ALWAYS GET DIRT ON THE INTERVIEWER FIRST.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    If you are paying the correct taxes across the board then you will be. People need to stop looking at percentages and look at actual money. For many years my total annual tax bill was well above the average national wage. As I've said many times if I'm a tax dodger I'm a really bad one.
    We know exactly what you mean - and agree totally.

The question is how you get that over to the mob - placated by only cheap beer and TV football.

Government, Footballers and Bankers seem to achieve it. However getting us into that league will be very difficult.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Try this - If a person were on a fixed term contract at big co for a year and getting the normal big co salary for that year (this is now very, very common) and you are sat next to him/her on a one year hourly rate contract with your Ltd Co and maybe on 50 to 100% more money why do you think you are entitled to not pay the same tax and NICs as the FTC guy? Shouldn't you actually be paying much, much more than him/her?
    If you are paying the correct taxes across the board then you will be. People need to stop looking at percentages and look at actual money. For many years my total annual tax bill was well above the average national wage. As I've said many times if I'm a tax dodger I'm a really bad one.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Try this - If a person were on a fixed term contract at big co for a year and getting the normal big co salary for that year (this is now very, very common) and you are sat next to him/her on a one year hourly rate contract with your Ltd Co and maybe on 50 to 100% more money why do you think you are entitled to not pay the same tax and NICs as the FTC guy? Shouldn't you actually be paying much, much more than him/her?
    I think you’re looking at this bass akwards. There are all sorts of iniquities in the labour market, whether you’re an employee, a worker, or self-employed. These rules are exploited in all directions and for various reasons, which render comparisons (“who is screwed the most”?) pretty useless.

The question is simple: if you’re treated like an employee, is it reasonable to not have the rights of being an employee? The correct answer is: no. If someone is doing the same job as an employee, they should be an employee. It is not reasonable for the gov’t to tax someone like an employee without giving them a contract of employment. Afterall, they design the rules. They’ve baked in a different tax treatment of various types of labour.

The propaganda war is a different matter. You don’t choose a highly skilled, highly paid contractor to represent the case to the general public, even if the principle is no less sound. Employment taxes and employment rights for employees.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The FTC person has some employment rights such as holiday pay. Unfortunately the actual rights they have apart from the minimum completely depends on the employer.
    Correct, they also likely get a pension contribution too. That's still going to be a hard sell to Joe Public when he wants to know why you aren't paying your ERNIC. I think you know that too, really.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    The PS has said you are effectively an employee.

But they're not going to give you holiday pay, sick pay, pension, redundancy etc.

The legislation says that the fee payer is responsible for Employers NI, but this is being passed on to the worker.

In short, they are dodging their responsibilities. Doesn't matter if I'm on £100 an hour or £10 an hour.

There are plenty of examples of people who aren't well paid who have fallen foul of this.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The FTC person has some employment rights such as holiday pay. Unfortunately the actual rights they have apart from the minimum completely depends on the employer.
    And those minimum rights except for holiday pay are worth virtually nothing

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    It cuts both ways.

Certainly, an IT contractor on something north of 100k is at an inherent disadvantage in trying to explain the iniquity of this, so they shouldn't bother trying.

Also, if you're explaining, you're losing. That's true, to an extent, with anything related to tax. If you're on a high income and you're explaining, you're definitely losing, because the baseline assumption is that you're on the fiddle.

But if you're on a modest income, I think there's some scope for getting a message across.

I think the only message that has any hope of being heard is the following: you're taxed like an employee, but you don't get most of the benefits/rights of employment. I think that's pretty easy to understand as being iniquitous.

Once you start explaining the details of employment taxes, eyes will obviously glaze over, and most employees have no clue that they are effectively paying Employer's NI. We all know this complexity is no coincidence.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X