• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Company on pause

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Company on pause"

Collapse

• New
    replied
    I am just not sure why they want you as a temp member of staff and not a contractor. As long as you get paid, who cares?
    Dunno if this is relevant to that question but an org I've been talking to needs a piece of work done, perfect for tender to consultancies but are instead looking for a fixed term employee on PAYE to do it. I asked why and they said:

They have no budget left for purchasing but do have staff payroll headroom and they have little confidence in HR not screwing up IR35 so the easiest thing is just hire someone for 6 months fixed with extension options. (if they can get them).

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Nothing wrong with that. Go through contractor umbrella and put all your money after you've been paid the living wage in to a pension for maximum tax avoidance.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• seeourbee
    replied
    Did I really say "Oh ya" ? That's the worst typo I have ever made.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by seeourbee View Post
    Oh ya I've no intention of shutting down anything. This is an exceptional event for me, normal business will be resumed next year. Does mean going through a brolly though I've just found out. Yuk.
    Nothing wrong with that. Go through contractor umbrella and put all your money in to a pension for maximum tax avoidance.

Leave a comment:

• seeourbee
    replied
    Oh ya I've no intention of shutting down anything. This is an exceptional event for me, normal business will be resumed next year. Does mean going through a brolly though I've just found out. Yuk.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    I've done similar recently and only thing that's happened with my Ltd (so far) is it's given me a P45 via my accountant.

They said it's better to keep the PAYE scheme going for my Ltd (without any employee) as it's easier to resume than try to reopen later apparently. Will re-assess at the end of the year when I find out if my inside IR35 contract is being renewed.

I do have to remember not to transfer any salary from my Ltd while I'm not employed by it, and the VAT returns are nice and simple being all zero.

Leave a comment:

• seeourbee
    replied
    In proper speak yes. But oddly they've not used that phrase. And I always said I'd never ever do one of those !

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Apologies, that was my slang. I would be a contractor yes. I just called it temp staff member as that's how I see it. I've been doing this so long that "contracting" to me is operating through a company. And this isn't that.
    An FTC then.

Leave a comment:

• seeourbee
    replied
    Apologies, that was my slang. I would be a contractor yes. I just called it temp staff member as that's how I see it. I've been doing this so long that "contracting" to me is operating through a company. And this isn't that.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Sorry about that.

Pleased to here it is lucrative.

I am just not sure why they want you as a temp member of staff and not a contractor. As long as you get paid, who cares?
    That wouldn't happen hear but I'm also glad to here the OP has something good.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Lol! Comments like that scare me. It's very lucrative and that's why I work at the end of the day.
    Sorry about that.

Pleased to here it is lucrative.

Leave a comment:

• seeourbee
    replied
    Lol! Comments like that scare me. It's very lucrative and that's why I work at the end of the day.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Neither - wouldn't involve my company. Just go on payroll as PAYE temp member of staff (with no staff benefits [emoji853])
    Understood. I hope its a very interesting opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• seeourbee
    replied
    Neither - wouldn't involve my company. Just go on payroll as PAYE temp member of staff (with no staff benefits [emoji853])

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Contract
    So your company needs to be paid? And the company pays you entirely as salary? Or are you proposing to use an umbrella?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X