• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SIPP pensions & IR35 changes for public sector Ltd co. Contractors"

Collapse

• Bowgreave
    replied
    Originally posted by adubya View Post
    If you're already drawing a pension then presumably you're aware that a lower contribution limit may apply to SIPP contributions ? I say "may" because the lower limit applies if you're accessing your existing pension in certain "flexible" ways.

If you are caught by the lower contribution limit then it's £10K in 2016/17 tax year, decreasing to £4K for 2017/18.
    Thanks for this but no that doesn't apply. They are 2 government pensions derived from my final salaries in 2 posts plus OAP and I keep my contract earnings under the amount I have to pay tax on to preserve the 20% HMG bonus.

Leave a comment:

• adubya
    replied
    Originally posted by Bowgreave View Post
    Thanks for all the useful pointers. I do fall under IR35 and I have hit OAP status (!) at 65. My contract recruiting agency, who effectively I charge in the first instance for my services, will allow me to salary sacrifice everything above a minimum wage into a pension, so that can remain tax-free. Am I correct in assuming that if I pay that minimum wage straight into my SIPP pension then I can reclaim the income tax deducted by the agency at source from my minimum wage in my self-assessment, but not the NICs?
    If you're already drawing a pension then presumably you're aware that a lower contribution limit may apply to SIPP contributions ? I say "may" because the lower limit applies if you're accessing your existing pension in certain "flexible" ways.

If you are caught by the lower contribution limit then it's £10K in 2016/17 tax year, decreasing to £4K for 2017/18.

Leave a comment:

• Bowgreave
    replied
    SIPP clarification and further assistance request

I am in my 60s with a occupational pension and I have recently been working on a part time public sector contract through my own limited company. The company runs at a slight loss, on my contractors accountants advice. I have never paid myself a wage, so I have not needed to pay income tax or N I, as all the contracting income has been paid into my SIPP. Can I continue to legitimately do this once the responsibility for deducting income tax moves to the recruiting agency that pays me in April 2017?
    Thanks for all the useful pointers. I do fall under IR35 and I have hit OAP status (!) at 65. My contract recruiting agency, who effectively I charge in the first instance for my services, will allow me to salary sacrifice everything above a minimum wage into a pension, so that can remain tax-free. Am I correct in assuming that if I pay that minimum wage straight into my SIPP pension then I can reclaim the income tax deducted by the agency at source from my minimum wage in my self-assessment, but not the NICs?

Leave a comment:

• Jones
    replied
    "Does anyone know of an umbrella company that runs a salary sacrifice pension scheme and will make payments to a SIPP? "

PayStream? – Chris Dwyer said they would make employer contributions into a Hargreaves Lansdown SIPP for income over min. wage. Haven't tried them yet. Google them first.
    Last edited by Jones; 10 March 2017, 10:50.

Leave a comment:

• Glend167
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Thank you for your reply NLUK.

I will contact Contractor Umbrella Limited and ask if their Scottish Widows pension scheme includes a SIPP option.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Glend167 View Post
    Does anyone know of an umbrella company that runs a salary sacrifice pension scheme and will make payments to a SIPP?

Thanks
    This looking interesting?

http://www.contractorumbrella.com/pension.html

Leave a comment:

• Glend167
    replied
    Umbrella company, salary sacrifice pension with payments into a SIPP?

Does anyone know of an umbrella company that runs a salary sacrifice pension scheme and will make payments to a SIPP?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Jones
    replied
    Umbrella Min Wage + SIPP

Working part time through an umbrella on minimum/living wage there may be no NICs to pay depending on the number of hours.

Some umbrellas won't let you pay into your own SIPP as an Employer contribution (rather than their own plan).

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Still need to be deducted see https://www.gov.uk/employee-reaches-state-pension-age (first google link). So that's a 14.3% deduction which won't be recoverable....
    Yeah, thought that was the case. Ta.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    If he's of pensionable age (something of a variable these days!) then EeNICs won't apply.

I've never been to clear on ErNICs though - are they still due regardless?
    Still need to be deducted see https://www.gov.uk/employee-reaches-state-pension-age (first google link). So that's a 14.3% deduction which won't be recoverable....

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    If he's of pensionable age (something of a variable these days!) then EeNICs won't apply.

I've never been to clear on ErNICs though - are they still due regardless?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I am in my 60s with a occupational pension and I have recently been working on a part time public sector contract through my own limited company. The company runs at a slight loss, on my contractors accountants advice. I have never paid myself a wage, so I have not needed to pay income tax or N I, as all the contracting income has been paid into my SIPP. Can I continue to legitimately do this once the responsibility for deducting income tax moves to the recruiting agency that pays me in April 2017?
    Well it will depend on whether you are inside or outside IR35. If outside there is nothing to worry about.

If you are inside your problem is that your company will now receive the payments after Employers NI has been deducted and Employees NI and income tax withheld. While you will be able to reclaim the income tax bit back via self assessment the NI contributions will be lost.

My FAQ has a brief overview but its likely you will lose out - I also don't think an umbrella would help you as they do need to pay you the national living wage before anything can be paid into a pension

Leave a comment:

• SIPP pensions & IR35 changes for public sector Ltd co. Contractors

Working...
X