• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dodgy Schemes - War Stories"

Collapse

• kal
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    It's a not unreasonable assumption but no, it's not the only reason. I have had many years experience of what HMRC can do to people once they get their claws in and it's not something I'd wish on anybody - if you have been affected by this latest raft of legislation don't you wish that there had been someone to warn you about the scheme before you signed up?
    +1, Its all too easy to be taken in by these dodgy schemes, especially as they market themselves as Umbrellas when In fact they are anything but. I myself was almost hooked when I went contracting and it was only because the agency would only deal with a set number of (legit) umbrellas which led me to go Ltd, a lucky escape, I don't consider myself foolish or naive but these snake oil salesmen can be very convincing to the uniformed contractor just starting out.

In fact there is post on my Facebook feed right now from BestPay offering 90% returns on earnings as a contactor, if you don't know better then you may well be taken in, after all its a Sponsored post on Facebook so must be legit right?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Looks like HMRC are printing money... and their own version of the stories.

HMRC crackdown yields record £23.9bn in additional tax:

BBC News - HMRC crackdown yields record £23.9bn in additional tax
    As Private Eye points out in the current edition, about £10bn of that is complete fantasy money - it's the amount of tax that HMRC estimate people have paid up because they are scared that they might get caught. Since there is no basis in fact for that figure, it just helps Osborne look better than he is.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Looks like HMRC are printing money... and their own version of the stories.

HMRC crackdown yields record £23.9bn in additional tax:

BBC News - HMRC crackdown yields record £23.9bn in additional tax

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by vern19 View Post
    She may not scaremonger but the only reason she posts on here is to attract business
    It's a not unreasonable assumption but no, it's not the only reason. I have had many years experience of what HMRC can do to people once they get their claws in and it's not something I'd wish on anybody - if you have been affected by this latest raft of legislation don't you wish that there had been someone to warn you about the scheme before you signed up?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by jbryce View Post
    ...and to be brutally honest - if we can keep another victim away from the current raft of dodgy schemes then it's a pretty worthwhile exercise.
    Too true.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I don't think that Lisa needs to scaremonger. She doesn't scare people out of going Ltd if that's what they want.

And she asked permission before posting this thread.
    I never said she was scaremongering - just that she had to deal with accusations of scaremongering - an observation promptly evidenced by subsequent posts

Leave a comment:

• jbryce
    replied
    I don't think that Lisa needs to scaremonger. She doesn't scare people out of going Ltd if that's what they want.

...and to be brutally honest - if we can keep another victim away from the current raft of dodgy schemes then it's a pretty worthwhile exercise.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Oh death, where is thy sting
    I'm right here, and I can sting at any time...

Leave a comment:

• vern19
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I don't need to wise, up as I know what here business is and know that posting here is (in some small way) marketing for her.

As for assumptions the only one I made when replying to you was that you are a foolish ass which your post above merely confirms...
    Oh death, where is thy sting

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I have no particular axe to grind regarding Lisa's posts but if you think she posts on here because of her altruistic nature then you need to wise up a little bit.

I have used an EBT scheme in the past and certainly would not use one again or recommend anyone else to use one.

Regarding accelerated payment letters focusing my mind, I am not heavily exposed and am in the process of settling the relatively small taxable amount so APNs will not affect me personally.

I would advise you not to make assumption in future.
    I don't need to wise up as I know what her business is and know that posting here is (in some small way) marketing for her.

As for assumptions the only one I made, when replying to you, was that you are a foolish ass which your post above merely confirms...
    Last edited by eek; 26 May 2014, 19:03.

Leave a comment:

• vern19
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Nope. I know for a fact she has answered many questions on here both publicly and via PM... And I would imagine by the time people have arrived here they are probably wise enough to know the options and create a limited company..

As Lisa stated she is effected by these schemes as she sees customers ask for information, look at potential difference in money and take the (unexplained) risk. Especially as the more unscrupulous providers are explicitly not requested DOTAS numbers and trying to hide everything from HMRC.

Finally, I have to ask why you are so against someone trying to put people off joining these schemes. Especially as you seem to have used them in the past. I would have thought you would have learnt your lesson by now, if not, I'm sure the forthcoming accelerated immediate payment letter will focus your mind.
    I have no particular axe to grind regarding Lisa's posts but if you think she posts on here because of her altruistic nature then you need to wise up a little bit.

I have used an EBT scheme in the past and certainly would not use one again or recommend anyone else to use one.

Regarding accelerated payment letters focusing my mind, I am not heavily exposed and am in the process of settling the relatively small taxable amount so APNs will not affect me personally.

I would advise you not to make assumptions in future.
    Last edited by vern19; 26 May 2014, 15:00. Reason: sp

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    She may not scaremonger but the only reason she posts on here is to attract business
    If you look back at Lisa's posting history I think you'd struggle to find her promoting her business to any extent if at all.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Nope. I know for a fact she has answered many questions on here both publicly and via PM... And I would imagine by the time people have arrived here they are probably wise enough to know the options and create a limited company..

As Lisa stated she is effected by these schemes as she sees customers ask for information, look at potential difference in money and take the (unexplained) risk. Especially as the more unscrupulous providers are explicitly not requested DOTAS numbers and trying to hide everything from HMRC.

Finally, I have to ask why you are so against someone trying to put people off joining these schemes. Especially as you seem to have used them in the past. I would have thought you would have learnt your lesson by now, if not, I'm sure the forthcoming accelerated immediate payment letter will focus your mind.

Leave a comment:

• vern19
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X