• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New settlement terms"

Collapse

• GregRickshaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Laith View Post
    Yep I agree. This is merely an opinion finding exercise and a point in the right direction. I deem a silly rate being anything I already knew or action I would have taken myself. You could argue I'm paying for the experience and know how of said professional however this is all new ground and I haven't seen any victories posted around here. As a professional myself I don't buy into the crap of 'professional job, professional rate' schpeel there's too many companies out there providing sub standard 'professional' work but thank you.
    Strange way to think if you are a professional... don't you want a professional rate yourself? Really odd way to look at things.

A victory in what sense, a sense of beating the provider/HMRC or one's own piece of mind. Again what do you deem a victory?

Anyway as you say you wanted opinions the majority have been for you to get expert help, so we'll leave the rest up to you?

Leave a comment:

• Laith
    replied
    Yep I agree. This is merely an opinion finding exercise and a point in the right direction. I deem a silly rate being anything I already knew or action I would have taken myself. You could argue I'm paying for the experience and know how of said professional however this is all new ground and I haven't seen any victories posted around here. As a professional myself I don't buy into the crap of 'professional job, professional rate' schpeel there's too many companies out there providing sub standard 'professional' work but thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

But again - to settle completely you need to have the loan settled as well.

Which means you need to sort out both the tax and the loan in parallel which would suggest (were it me) finding someone who can help. And if you don't like WTT try ETC or Gilbert Tax - but I suspect you need someone to fix this.
    Exactly. A bunch of unqualified strangers here can't do that.

Leave a comment:

• GregRickshaw
    replied
    Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post

When you say loan demand? Do you mean the body which loaned you the money? The money subsequently caught in the loan charge?
    I do feel then you are going to need to get yourself some professional help.

Not sure what sort of rate you deem to be not 'silly' though, these are professionals doing a professional job so expect to pay a professional rate or at the very least get some comparisons from the ones being mentioned in this post ETC, WTT, GT there may be others of course.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I am referring to the demand from the appointed liquidators for said loan
    But again - to settle completely you need to have the loan settled as well.

Which means you need to sort out both the tax and the loan in parallel which would suggest (were it me) finding someone who can help. And if you don't like WTT try ETC or Gilbert Tax - but I suspect you need someone to fix this.

Leave a comment:

• Laith
    replied
    I am referring to the demand from the appointed liquidators for said loan

Leave a comment:

• GregRickshaw
    replied
    Not to bad mouth WTT but last time I engaged with them they were charging silly rates for just initial responses. With the amount in question I don't think it's worth paying for settlement help. The loan demand however is a different ball game as it's a lot more than what my settlement would be. Who knows I may need it going forward. I don't particularly enjoy waiting around for professionals to do their job, from past experience their response after waiting always feels underwhelming. Thanks for the help
    When you say loan demand? Do you mean the body which loaned you the money? The money subsequently caught in the loan charge?

Leave a comment:

• Laith
    replied
    Not to bad mouth WTT but last time I engaged with them they were charging silly rates for just initial responses. With the amount in question I don't think it's worth paying for settlement help. The loan demand however is a different ball game as it's a lot more than what my settlement would be. Who knows I may need it going forward. I don't particularly enjoy waiting around for professionals to do their job, from past experience their response after waiting always feels underwhelming. Thanks for the help

Leave a comment:

• dammit chloe
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

I do not see any fighting talk. For the sum involved it's really not worth it. It's all about understanding where you are in the mess you got yourself into and then extricating yourself with as little future damage and liability as possible.
    See my previous answer, the "if" and context matters.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Precisely I’m not here for a fight I’m here for resolution without getting my pants pulled down again. I’m trying to get a stone wall resolution so I can sleep easy going forward.
    I think you should be able to see a way forward from here from what you have been told. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post

I would agree about giving them a call on this topic. However there is a history with WTT too and they have not even won an FTT case yet so there is that to consider if thinking about fighting.
    I do not see any fighting talk. For the sum involved it's really not worth it. It's all about understanding where you are in the mess you got yourself into and then extricating yourself with as little future damage and liability as possible.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

"if" used as part of a larger sentence and in response to WTT being considered clean skins.
    That really does depend on what your definition of clean is...

Leave a comment:

• dammit chloe
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

But the OP isn't thinking about fighting, he just wants to settle on the best terms possible. Given that HMRC are (shall we say) dishonest and obtuse and the added complexity of getting the loan written off some advice is probably worthwhile if it's not going to cost too much and stops / discourages HMRC trying to pull tricks on the unwary.

WTT, ETC, Gilbert Tax are all people worth ringing to find out how they could help and how much their would want for doing so.
    "if" used as part of a larger sentence and in response to WTT being considered clean skins.

Leave a comment:

• Laith
    replied
    Precisely I’m not here for a fight I’m here for resolution without getting my pants pulled down again. I’m trying to get a stone wall resolution so I can sleep easy going forward.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

I would agree about giving them a call on this topic. However there is a history with WTT too and they have not even won an FTT case yet so there is that to consider if thinking about fighting.
    But the OP isn't thinking about fighting, he just wants to settle on the best terms possible. Given that HMRC are (shall we say) dishonest and obtuse and the added complexity of getting the loan written off some advice is probably worthwhile if it's not going to cost too much and stops / discourages HMRC trying to pull tricks on the unwary.

WTT, ETC, Gilbert Tax are all people worth ringing to find out how they could help and how much their would want for doing so.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X