• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The new THL??

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The new THL??"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by creativity View Post
    "By all means ignore the nonsense for now but if the loans are attempted to be recalled, then you will need to seek some expert help."

So what if you have moved address, new mobile number and changed email addresses? Not much chance of finding you then and if they try it will cost them money to do so. And if successful what's stopping you denying knowledge or better still throwing all correspondence in the bin straight away.
    Let's face it, they wont spend a penny themselves so it's a very safe bet that if some entity who owns the information of your loans decides to call them in nothing will come of it.
    If settled ignore all the scum scheme scammers and get on with your life.
    Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
    I bet these chancers are playing a numbers game, going for the easy pickings. Even if only a few punters fall for their scam they're quids in. If you don't engage they'll give up.
    Strongly agree with both those posts. I can't see any provider going to court on this. Most providers disappeared anyway....

Leave a comment:

• stonehenge
    replied
    Originally posted by creativity View Post
    "By all means ignore the nonsense for now but if the loans are attempted to be recalled, then you will need to seek some expert help."

So what if you have moved address, new mobile number and changed email addresses? Not much chance of finding you then and if they try it will cost them money to do so. And if successful what's stopping you denying knowledge or better still throwing all correspondence in the bin straight away.
    Let's face it, they wont spend a penny themselves so it's a very safe bet that if some entity who owns the information of your loans decides to call them in nothing will come of it.
    I bet these chancers are playing a numbers game, going for the easy pickings. Even if only a few punters fall for their scam they're quids in. If you don't engage they'll give up.

Leave a comment:

• creativity
    replied

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    This iteration of DOR Resolutions is a copy cat of the ruses and abuses perpetrated by THL.

It may be that the people behind the scheme are the same, but other than Mr Thompson who may or may not be the person standing to gain most from this, I've not dug deep on the situation.

BY all means ignore the nonsense for now but if the loans are attempted to be recalled, then you will need to seek some expert help.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Zander View Post
    I am very interested in why they don’t send actual demands through the post instead of e mails and mobile texts .
    Must be a legal thing
    This is why:
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    The reason is very simple.

You have protections against cold callers (the cooling off period being one) that you don’t have if you invite/call them first. They will be very careful to log your first call and then claim that by calling them, you allowed them to do whatever they subsequently do.

It’s a basic gullible’s opening gambit.

Leave a comment:

• Zander
    replied
    Ignore them

Originally posted by DesparateDan View Post
    Yes, just had the same text. just when I thought they'd gone away
    As far as I'm concerned, I've settled, but it still stresses me out when these Aholes contact me
    Too worried to reply to them - even to tell them to get lost - considering ditching my mobile number, just to avoid them
    How many more people are going to be given details of my "loans", by the "trustees"... don't see how they are acting in my interests.
    I am chilling tonight having a few beers and hope you can do the same.
    These parasites are not worth getting upset about.
    I am very interested in why they don’t send actual demands through the post instead of e mails and mobile texts .
    Must be a legal thing
    Look up the guys profile he is an absolute insect lol
    Take care and let’s get these people locked up

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Thought I’d put this here...

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2656076

Leave a comment:

• DesparateDan
    replied
    Originally posted by Zander View Post
    Just got a text message on my mobile stating DOR were trying to contact me regarding my loans.
    Even though I have settled with HMRC years ago still being hounded by these leeches, they should be locked up.
    Deleted their mail and text and recommend you all ignore their requests.
    How are these assholes allowed to get away with it as would appear HMRC are not interested as long as they get their payout.
    I have informed my family regarding this outfit as am a 67 year old pensioner with a serious heart condition and although smart enough to ignore these parasites,I still get stressed and upset when I receive these demands.
    If the worst happens to me hope my family pursue these people through the courts on manslaughter charges
    Lol
    Yes, just had the same text. just when I thought they'd gone away
    As far as I'm concerned, I've settled, but it still stresses me out when these Aholes contact me
    Too worried to reply to them - even to tell them to get lost - considering ditching my mobile number, just to avoid them
    How many more people are going to be given details of my "loans", by the "trustees"... don't see how they are acting in my interests.

Leave a comment:

• Zander
    replied
    DOR Resolutions

Just got a text message on my mobile stating DOR were trying to contact me regarding my loans.
    Even though I have settled with HMRC years ago still being hounded by these leeches, they should be locked up.
    Deleted their mail and text and recommend you all ignore their requests.
    How are these assholes allowed to get away with it as would appear HMRC are not interested as long as they get their payout.
    I have informed my family regarding this outfit as am a 67 year old pensioner with a serious heart condition and although smart enough to ignore these parasites,I still get stressed and upset when I receive these demands.
    If the worst happens to me hope my family pursue these people through the courts on manslaughter charges
    Lol

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    We have put some thoughts into the Big Group thread relating to this matter.

As mentioned there, in the "old" THL, the more senior director Ms Djoma, has resigned.

Leave a comment:

• LordF
    replied
    Mr Andrew William Thompson

Digging a bit deeper into the background of this new chancer Mr Andrew William Thompson

https://www.icaew.com/-/media/corpor...018.ashx?la=en

APPEAL COMMITTEE PANEL ORDERS
    6 Mr Andrew William Thompson [ACA]
    Kenilworth Associates Limited, 2 Kenilworth Road, Blundellsands, Liverpool, L23 3AD.
    A panel of the Appeal Committee made the decision recorded below having heard an appeal
    on 16 November 2017
    Type of Member Member
    Date of Disciplinary Tribunal Hearing 18 April 2017
    Date of Appeal Panel Hearing 16 November 2017
    Terms of complaint found proven before the Disciplinary Tribunal
    Prior to June 2005, Mr A Thompson ACA, as office holder in five insolvency cases, drew excessive
    remuneration
    which subsequently resulted in successful claims against Insolvency Practitioner
    Licence Bonds as particularised in the following cases:
    No Case Claim
    1 Mr ‘A’ £28,384
    2 Mr ‘C’ £21,335
    3 Mr ‘B’ £16,015
    4 Mr ‘D’ £14,981
    5 ‘E’ Limited £11,095
    Mr Andrew William Thompson is therefore liable to disciplinary action under Disciplinary Bye-law
    4.1.a.
    Disciplinary Bye-law 4.1.a states …in the course of carrying out professional work or otherwise he
    has committed any act or default likely to bring discredit on himself, the Institute or the profession
    of accountancy.
    Decision of Disciplinary Tribunal
    1. Exclusion
    2. Costs in the sum of £25,000
    Appeal against finding? No
    Appeal against Sentencing order? No
    Appeal against Costs Yes
    Decision of Appeal Panel Appeal dismissed.
    Press Release – 4 January 2018 Page 28 of 31
    Procedural matters and findings
    1 The Appellant did not attend. The Investigation Committee was represented by Mr Ian
    Graham.
    2 The hearing was in public.
    3 There were no preliminary applications.
    Grounds of appeal
    4 The order for costs should be remitted as the Appellant’s resources prevented him from
    undertaking any further liabilities.
    Decision
    5. The Appeal was dismissed.
    6. The Appellant shall pay the costs of the Appeal assessed in the sum of £1,250.
    Reasons for decision
    7. There was no challenge made by the Appellant to the Disciplinary Committee’s findings
    of fact or its decision that the appropriate sanction order was one of Exclusion.
    8. The Appellant also did not seek to challenge the reasonableness of the £25,000 costs
    order as an amount which had been fairly incurred by the Investigation Committee.
    9. The appeal was therefore pursued on the sole basis that the Appellant did not have the
    means to pay the ordered amount of costs or indeed any amount. In addition to his
    Grounds of Appeal, the Appeal Committee considered all of the documentation made
    available to it, including a letter dated 24 October 2017 from Mr Ian Cooper, a Consultant
    to Linskills Solicitors, on the Appellant’s behalf enclosing a Confidential Statement of
    Financial Circumstances signed by the Appellant on 20 October 2017 and extracts from
    his tax returns for the years ending 2015 and 2016.
    10. The Appeal Committee noted that the first page of the Confidential Statement of Financial
    Circumstances includes the following specific warning, “You should provide information
    to … a panel of the Appeal Committee about your financial circumstances. You will need
    to provide supporting documentation with it; for example, P60, bank statements, property
    valuations or trading accounts. The material will be kept in the strictest confidence and
    only shown to the tribunal, the Investigation Committee and its representatives. In the
    absence of information about your financial circumstances and evidence in support, a
    tribunal/panel will assume you have the means to pay any fine and/or costs ordered.”
    11. Although the Appellant did not personally attend before the Disciplinary Committee, he
    asserted that he had provided that Committee with a statement of his means. This was
    denied by the Investigation Committee. The Appeal Committee noted that the
    Disciplinary Committee made no reference to seeing such a document but did not
    consider it necessary to resolve the issue because it was able to consider the Appellant’s
    case and supporting evidence for itself to determine whether he was unable to pay any
    costs order.
    Press Release – 4 January 2018 Page 29 of 31
    12. Notwithstanding the clear warning contained at the start of the Confidential Statement of
    Financial Circumstances, the Appellant provided virtually no evidence to support his
    assertion that he had no disposable income or assets. The Appeal Committee accepted
    that the extracts from Appellant’s tax returns showed a modest taxable profit in 2014-15
    and that the Appellant had no liability to pay income tax in either the 2014-15 or 2015-16
    tax years. That, however, was the limit of the supporting documentation and in particular
    there was nothing to evidence the Appellant’s assertions as to his present income or his
    lack of assets.
    13. In the circumstances the Appeal Committee were entirely satisfied that the Appellant had
    not provided any reliable evidence in support of his assertion that he was unable to pay
    the costs order. His appeal against that order was therefore dismissed.
    14. As his appeal was unsuccessful, the Appeal Committee determined, following an
    application by the Investigation Committee, that the Appellant should be required to pay
    the costs of the hearing before it. The Appeal Committee determined that the reasonable
    amount of costs was £1,250 and that it was just and proportionate for the Appellant to be
    required to pay this sum.
    Chairman Mr Angus Withington
    Non Accountant Member Mr Shahzad Aziz
    Accountant Member Mr Richard Lea FCA
    Accountant Member Mr David Kaye FCA
    Non Accountant Member Ms Ruth Todd 006314

Leave a comment:

• LordF
    replied
    Darwin and the 2019 Loan Charge

Got the same email at 17:50 today ... I suggest you DO NOT click on any of the links in the email as it may confirm to them that you have received the email and clicked the link https://ols.dorresolutions.com/accou...1X&bid=214&o=4

Dear Lord F,

Good news: if you're trying to establish how much you owe in connection with your use of the Darwin contractor loans scheme, DOR Resolutions has the data for you. You might need to declare these loans to HMRC under the new Loan Charge rules. Your trustees have hired us to provide you with a statement listing all the amounts you received and the dates you received them. You can access the statement here. We'll provide your statement free of charge.

If you've recently settled your use of this scheme with HMRC you can now have the loans written off. Do this within 30 days of settling to ensure that the existence of the loans can't give rise to an inheritance tax charge years later. Follow this link to find out more. Please note that there is a charge for this service and you will need to make a payment to the trustees before the loans are written off.

If you genuinely can't afford to pay the tax HMRC say you owe, your scheme loan trustees could be very helpful to you. We can refer you to a third party who can help you to negotiate an amount you can afford. Your trustees might be in a position to force HMRC to accept your offer. This can be achieved through something called an Individual Voluntary Arrangement. Let us know you're interested here, and we'll have an adviser call you. There is no commitment at this stage. But be aware: this option is not for the faint-hearted. Talking it through with the adviser will not affect your credit rating, but proceding with the negotiation can. The adviser will explain.

Remember, if you believe you settled your tax years ago, the settlement didn't affect the loans. The loans will still be outstanding, even if you believe HMRC has treated them as income. We can help you resolve the problem here.

If you're worried about your tax bill, or the contents of this email, and need help, we've begun making regular donations to The Samaritans. Almost two hundred MPs are also helping people in your situation and are taking action in Parliament. Citizen's Advice, Tax Aid or Tax Help for Older People are all charitable organisations that might also be able to help you.

The importance of tax advice
    Finally, I must stress the importance of obtaining sound, independent tax advice. DORR doesn't give tax advice and this email doesn't constitute tax advice. You're free to use any firm you choose, but Templeton Brook are familiar with the situation and have handled similar cases to yours before.

Good luck and best wishes.

Andrew Thompson
    Director
    DOR Resolutions Limited
    DOR Resolutions Limited is a limited company registered in England And Wales. Registered number: 11910189. Registered address: 2 Kenilworth Road, Crosby, Liverpool, L23 3AD.

Leave a comment:

• NickLeeson2
    replied
    I have received the same email. It is an open invite to be ripped off. From the way it reads it is full off ifs but know detail.

Another scam.

Leave a comment:

• hudson
    replied
    Originally posted by Galvanised View Post
    Why would a reputable trust (although I don't know that Baker Tilly are all that reputable) put someone like this in charge of settling? There would be ZERO trust between ex-participants and the scum-bag who sold the product in the first place. Doesn't add up, so that part of the email makes me think that this is not driven from the trust.....
    Because he will claim that he is representing a different Winchester Contractor Solutions:

Winchester Contracts Ltd IOM -> https://opencorporates.com/companies/im/006913V
    Winchester Contractor Solutions Ltd UK -> https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11240448
    Solutions Winchester (UK) Ltd UK -> https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11303896

Garraway Consultants Ltd IOM -> https://opencorporates.com/companies/im/005571V
    Garraway Contractors UK Solutions Ltd UK -> https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11353966
    Garraway (UK) Solutions Ltd UK-> https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11353928

IQ Contracts Limited IOM -> https://opencorporates.com/companies/im/007171V
    IQ Contractor Solutions Ltd UK -> https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10584657
    IQ Consulting (UK) Trustco Ltd UK -> https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11377741

All the UK entities listed above are currently registered at 2 Kenilworth Road, Crosby, Merseyside L23 3AD, with the incorporation certificates stating the registered address as Kemp House 152- 160 City Road London EC1V 2NX , which is a virtual office serviced by way of an annual charge of £92.50.
    The director for all the above UK entities is a Mr Andrew William Thompson.

There are many other Contractor 'solution' outfits registered at 2 Kenilworth Road, but I don't wish to be verbose. I suspect 2 Kenilworth Road is a rented premises.

So the trustees at Baker Tilly have enlisted the services of some guy operating from a house (previously a virtual office) to contact the loan recipients/scheme users and arrange finality of the loans???

Leave a comment:

• Galvanised
    replied
    Originally posted by QueasyRider View Post
    I received the same email from DOR Resolutions. Like the emails from THL before them, I have decided to completely ignore all such attempts to extract yet more money from me.

I am in the process of settling with HMRC (currently awaiting final details on how to pay).

I'm not a lawyer and I don't know for sure if the loan agreements I originally signed are enforceable or not; however I suspect that if the Trust was sure they could enforce them, they wouldn't need to hide behind all this arms-length "company working on behalf of" nonsense.

When the agreements were signed, there was a clear understanding (admittedly never written down) that the loans would never need to be repaid. If it ever comes to it, all I can do is try to defend my position in court. Until that happens, I won't be responding to any communications from the Trust or from anyone claiming to represent them. I am not in a position to advise anybody on any of this, I'm just letting you know what I'm doing.
    Yep - me too. I'm wondering if a bunch of the guys that worked for Winchester et all ended up taking the contact details for all the contractors on the books at the time. I got a plenty of invitations to join a different scheme over the years after I parted ways with these guys.

I'm in general alignment with whats been said on the board - but will be watching developments on this closely. The whole thing scares the bejeezus out of me and has for a while. Webberg has said on a few threads quite clearly that there is a loan here, and I've not slept all that lightly since. That said I think this guy is a complete chancer. Why would a reputable trust (although I don't know that Baker Tilly are all that reputable) put someone like this in charge of settling? There would be ZERO trust between ex-participants and the scum-bag who sold the product in the first place. Doesn't add up, so that part of the email makes me think that this is not driven from the trust.

Like many I always understood that these loans would never get called in. I mean even if all the regulatory scene had not turned upside down, does that mean 10+ years on we would of been called on to pay these even if HMRC hadn't completely turned over the chessboard? Noooooo... Again it doesn't add up. And finally - any costs around these loans are surely notional? The trust has no need to charge interest on these quasi-fictional loan balances. Whatever upkeep the trust has in terms of filings and paperwork - thats got to be trivial surely?

What I would love to hear from is a Baker Tilly representative - stating what the actual TRUSTEES position is here. Obviously I'm also not going to engage with this chancer and would advise anyone else to do the same - but knowing what the plans are of the actual trustees are would be great - even if it is "we don't know".

Ahh -a last thing, I've got a number of other mates who took up the EBT schemes with different providers - they are not getting these emails. So to me thats just further evidence that this is a guy just trying to milk his final percentage. Scumbag....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X